Jerry Jones says Cowboys will NOT draft QB with no. 4 pick *Super Hot Pants Mega Merge*

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I gotta say I like Stash...

But that made me laugh-out-loud!

One of the best lines I've read on here in a while... :D

Stash is one of those posters who always manages to leave me with some pretty good material. Unfortunately I can't use all of it here but he gives me just enough to slam him with something that's going to leave a mark.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're the one who keeps trying to wiggle out of things. I have you digging holes like an angry little beaver I can almost hear the screws grinding in your head. lol None of these QBs coming out are looked at as John Elway, Troy Aikman, Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck. I haven't seen anyone rate either Goff of Wentz on par or ahead of Winston and Mariota. A few months ago all these QBs were looked at as average prospects but now that the college season is long over their stock is starting to rise faster than your temper it happens every year in Feb/March. By draft day some will be drooling over Goff and Wenz that's what happens when teams are desperate for a QB. They start looking better as the draft approaches like the girl at closing time. It's amazing how much better these college QBs start looking once we reach April. The more a team needs a QB the more attractive these QBs will look.

Another one of your many lies. Goff was the top prospect entering the 2015 season. He's at the top of the list and he's stayed there. Keep spinning.

There isn't a Peyton Manning in this draft neither Wentz or Goff is rated near as high as Manning.

Prove it big mouth. Prove one single thing that you've claimed in this entire thread. You won't because you can't. Because not one thing you've said anywhere here has a shred of truth to it.

Two of the biggest busts in NFL history were Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell. Russell and Brady Quinn were the first 2 QBs taken in 07 and both went bust. David Carr and Joey Harrington were the first 2 QBs taken in 02 and both went bust. Many in the Lions organization didn't want Harrington at #3 overall but they were desperate for a QB and gambled.

Each and every position in the league has busts. We can waste time going over each and every one of them. Pulling a few notables at random has zero bearing on anything happening now. And again, the actual numbers you want to keep ignoring clearly show that your best odds are in the first round.

If you're desperate for a QB you have to take your chances but the Cowboys aren't desperate for a QB so it would be foolish to pull the trigger on one at #4 overall. That's been my argument all along but you've tried twisting it into something else because that's your MO. I'm not saying don't take a QB I'm saying don't take one at #4 overall.

And I think that argument is "foolish".

Romo is 36 years old.

He hasn't played a whole season since 2012.

He's had two significant back surgeries and is now on a schedule where he can't practice one day per week.

He's 36 years old and has broken his collarbone three times.

He missed 12 games in 2015, being injured not once, but twice.

The only "foolish" plan would be to count on a player with that history and leave your team in the same shape it was when Troy Aikman was forced to retire. By then it's too late.

If you're taking one later, the faults, doubts, and issues only become bigger and more obvious. The Bradys, Romos, and Russell Wilsons of the NFL are the rare exceptions, not the norm.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They settled for RG3 because most reports said they wanted Andrew Luck. Washington spent 2 decades looking for a QB investing a top 5 pick on Heath Shuler in 94 and a couple of other #1 picks on Jason Campbell and Patrick Ramsey. By 2012 they were DESPERATE and giving up the farm for RG3 showed they were DESPERATE. If they felt he was going to be the answer they would have never invested a 4th round pick on Kirk Cousins in that same draft. They wanted to be sure they covered themselves and it may have paid off. Even at the time some in the Commanders organization thought Cousins could end up being the better QB.

Show all of us those "most reports". Back up one single thing you're claiming. Go against character and put some effort into supporting a single thing you say. Amaze us.

You have no case all the top 10 QB busts far out weigh the top 10 QBs who became franchise QBs. Your chances of landing a franchise QB in the top 10 is less than 50%. Pretty poor odds when you consider the draft pick you're investing in that player.

Yet proven markedly better than any other odds. Not baselessly claimed on a message board with zero support for them, but researched and proven.

You are truly terrible at this.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Another one of your many lies. Goff was the top prospect entering the 2015 season. He's at the top of the list and he's stayed there. Keep spinning.

Goff is one of the top prospects in THIS draft but compared to other QB prospects in previous drafts he's nothing special. Can you provide at least one thing I can't shoot down? You're starting to bore me.

Prove it big mouth. Prove one single thing that you've claimed in this entire thread. You won't because you can't. Because not one thing you've said anywhere here has a shred of truth to it.

Everything I've posted is based on some facts. Show me where Goff is rated with Peyton Manning? You seem to think he is based on his college numbers being better than Manning's. Notice how you're the only one attempting to argue with me on this topic? No one wants to end up stuck in a corner looking silly like you.

Each and every position in the league has busts. We can waste time going over each and every one of them. Pulling a few notables at random has zero bearing on anything happening now. And again, the actual numbers you want to keep ignoring clearly show that your best odds are in the first round.

I've already pointed out every position has busts but no position has a higher rate for busts than QB. It's the toughest position to transition from college to pro which is why so many mistakes are made drafting QBs.

And I think that argument is "foolish".

Romo is 36 years old.

He hasn't played a whole season since 2012.

He's had two significant back surgeries and is now on a schedule where he can't practice one day per week.

He's 36 years old and has broken his collarbone three times.

He missed 12 games in 2015, being injured not once, but twice.

The only "foolish" plan would be to count on a player with that history and leave your team in the same shape it was when Troy Aikman was forced to retire. By then it's too late.

If you're taking one later, the faults, doubts, and issues only become bigger and more obvious. The Bradys, Romos, and Russell Wilsons of the NFL are the rare exceptions, not the norm.

It's foolish for a 4-12 team to take a QB at #4 overall when they still have one of the better QBs in the league. All the things you mentioned point to the Cowboys needing to take a QB but they don't need to take a QB at #4 overall. That's my point but you keep trying to twist my comments to create as many arguments as you can. You trade down and take a player who can help the team in 2016 and take a QB later in the first round or in the second round and develop them as the backup. A 4-12 team can't afford to have a top 5 pick standing on the sidelines for 2-3 years until Romo is done. Why can't you understand that? Some bring up the Packers and Rodgers but Rodgers was taken with the 24th overall pick not with a top 5 pick. You can shelve a QB taken later in the first round for a couple of years but a 4-12 team needs their top 5 pick on the field immediately.

The Cowboys could end up with a solid QB after the top 10 and still come up with a player who can help them in 2016. I keep repeating myself but nothing seems to sink into your head because you're looking to argue for the sake of arguing. YES, we need to draft a QB but we don't need to draft one at #4 overall it wouldn't make sense for a team that has a number of holes that need to be filled especially on defense. The Cowboys aren't in a desperate position where they need to risk drafting a QB at #4 overall.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Show all of us those "most reports". Back up one single thing you're claiming. Go against character and put some effort into supporting a single thing you say. Amaze us.

Yet proven markedly better than any other odds. Not baselessly claimed on a message board with zero support for them, but researched and proven.

You are truly terrible at this.

Show us??? :laugh: You're the one who's arguing. Stop diverting and show me all those items you claimed I'm wrong about. I'm still waiting so start listing them and provide some facts to back yourself instead of blowing hot air. Trying to put me on the defensive in an attempt to get yourself out of a corner isn't going to work with me. lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Show us??? :laugh: You're the one who's arguing. Stop diverting and show me all those items you claimed I'm wrong about. I'm still waiting so start listing them and provide some facts to back yourself instead of blowing hot air. Trying to put me on the defensive in an attempt to get yourself out of a corner isn't going to work with me. lol

As expected.

You've got nothing. You bring nothing.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
As expected.

You've got nothing. You bring nothing.

As expected you're continuing to divert. You told me you could list item for item where I've been wrong...start listing and provide some facts or get lost!

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Wentz or Goff goes #2. The one who is wasn't picked goes to San Fran at #7. Cowboys are going Defense at #4, likely Jack, Bosa, Ramsey.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Wentz or Goff goes #2. The one who is wasn't picked goes to San Fran at #7. Cowboys are going Defense at #4, likely Jack, Bosa, Ramsey.

a Franchise changing moment,the Cowboys will regret this so bad especially after 20 years of futility.What has Romo achieved here that we are so hell bent on extending his broken body a further 2-3 years.Its makes me so mad sometimes just thinking about it.If Chip wins a SB with Goff then i dont know what i would do.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
a Franchise changing moment,the Cowboys will regret this so bad especially after 20 years of futility.What has Romo achieved here that we are so hell bent on extending his broken body a further 2-3 years.
This is an interesting point.

Before everyone gets upset, think about it.

We are planning for the future, supposedly another 4-5 years to a QB who has two playoff wins in his career.

If you saw a rival doing the same, would you not find it odd?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As expected you're continuing to divert. You told me you could list item for item where I've been wrong...start listing and provide some facts or get lost!

Run! You can't support or validate a single thing you've claimed. Until you do, you're not worthy of another response.

jnday

Reaction score
You factor in what teams are doing in this league, forget what they're saying.

What they are doing is giving $100 million contracts to guys like Kapernick, Dalyon, and Tannehill.

What they are doing is tagging Kirk Cousins for $19 million for one season!

What they are doing is paying San Bradford $18 million for one season!

Forget about where quarterbacks rank compared to other years, it means nothing! The position is only getting harder and more costly to fill. And seeing these contracts, there's no denying that.

And it's not a knock on other players to take the quarterback. Just because you say you prefer the quarterback doesn't mean you're saying these other guys can't play. But the fact is, that by virtue of the position and scarcity, the quarterbacks are markedly more valuable than the other positions.

What the rest of the league is doing bears this out. And no one can deny that.

You are 100% right buddy.

jnday

Reaction score
Didn't you know? His numbers were inflated so they don't count. And we just can't go by production when judging these guys.

I don't know when we stopped judging quarterbacks by what they did throwing the ball...

It stopped being a factor for some people when it didn't fit their agenda . Imagine that .

jnday

Reaction score
No player is a sure thing but many of the draft experts make it seem like some are. Most fell in love with Clowney due to his workouts. I believe he only had 3 sacks during his final college season but everyone was mesmerized by his great athletic ability. They looked at his size, speed, quickness making him appear as Superman to some. Some were concerned with a few things they saw on the field in college with him but they disregarded it because he was such a freak in shorts and a t-shirt.

He has been a bust in the pros, but Clowney admitted to putting less effort into his last year of college due to risk of injury that could have cost him his draft position and a lot of money. That should have raised flags with teams .

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Run! You can't support or validate a single thing you've claimed. Until you do, you're not worthy of another response.

Run? Are you serious??? You couldn't be more delusional! LOL You just said I'm not worthy of another response which points directly to you as the one who's running. Every time you get cornered you claim I'm not worthy of another response which is typical of a poster who's losing an argument and is looking for a way out. Take your ball and go home before it's completely deflated.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OR

we can draft Goff at 4 and sign Hardy, McClain and Weddle

That's an option.

The one thing I can say about Goff, he's more "NFL ready" than the other two.

Stash and others have pointed out that Romo is old and injury prone... I can't argue either point, but none of these guys are going to help the Cowboys in '16 and if you're selecting Wentz or Lynch, probably not in '17 either. That's where a good backup is going to be more important over the next two seasons than any QB selected in this draft.

But yeah, I'd like to see some of the defensive holes filled before the draft comes 'round.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Stash is one of those posters who always manages to leave me with some pretty good material. Unfortunately I can't use all of it here but he gives me just enough to slam him with something that's going to leave a mark.

Funny...he was trying to get me to bite the other day...With "I was still ticked that Goff turned down Boise State's scholarship offer." Come to find out...BSU pulled the offer. Regardless...If Goff had came here he would have rode the pine.

If anyone has regret it should be him for not taking the offer when it was offered. He could have been part of a team that won a BCS bowl. Instead...he had to eat a 1-11 season in 2013...then suffer through another losing year in 2014 (5-7)...then squeaked out a 7-5 record this year.:lmao2: