Jerry Jones: Spike Was Bad Call***merged***

willia451

Reaction score
Playing for the TD without blowing the chance at the game tying FG is hardly a mistake or playing not to lose....... we were NEVER winning

Knowing the outcome now we all want to run the clock down and kick the FG but at the time everyone wanted to win

The point is instead of spiking the ball take a shot downfield. An incomplete stops the clock just as well as clocking the ball. They had no intention of running the ball in that situation anyway. Obviously. So why spike the ball at all?

Spiking the ball is not playing to win. That is making damn sure you don't lose you're opportunity at a FG.

I mean. The man (JG) said that in the first sentence of the quote I provided. Making sure you don't lose the opportunity at the FG takes priority over playing for the TD. Those were the first words out of his mouth.

And I don't blame JG. I wouldn't want to be standing in front of the man being asked why I played to win and didn't make it. When we could have ensured our opportunity at a tie with little time left on the clock for AR to do anything.

Just because Jerry has come out after the fact now and said clocking it was a mistake means nothing. If JG had been aggressive in the play calling and taken shots down field to really try to get the TD and came up short...........Jerry would have crucified him.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
The point is instead of spiking the ball take a shot downfield. An incomplete stops the clock just as well as clocking the ball.
no it doesn't

a spike play call is totally different. 2 players need to know the snap count, not 11. nobody needs to take time reading the defense, so you don't spend anytime watching defensive alignments, motioning guys, or doing anything.

willia451

Reaction score
no it doesn't

a spike play call is totally different. 2 players need to know the snap count, not 11. nobody needs to take time reading the defense, so you don't spend anytime watching defensive alignments, motioning guys, or doing anything.

When the ball was spiked there was 49 seconds left on the clock and you are at the GB 40. That is still a ton of time to run a play on 1st down.

The only reason not to do so is to stop the game and make damn sure nothing bad happens on your next play or two that might lose you the opportunity at a FG.

Dak had just gone 35 yards on two plays using the no huddle. But since that was working so well, we had to stop doing that. Of course.

Its just dumb. Keep driving them back on their heels and get the TD.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
When the ball was spiked there was 49 seconds left on the clock and you are at the GB 40. That is still a ton of time to run a play on 1st down.
they had 40 seconds to their disposal to run a play, so what?

we wanted to run as many plays as possible. we wanted to be able to run a play that might result in being tackled in the field of play. we wanted touchdown, but did not want to jeopardize a field goal.

with all those things in mind, running a play would of been the dumbest choice and the only wrong call

it really was down to taking a time out, or spiking the ball. each had positives and negatives which I have outlined repeatedly. neither was the wrong call though.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean it's not like I'm saying forget about the bad decision on the spike. I'm pissed that Garrett won't even admit or doesn't think it was a mistake. It just wasn't the last straw or the only thing that did it. Still something that shouldn't happen.

Same as Bowles with punting down two scores earlier this year.

Own up.
Move on.

willia451

Reaction score
It really was down to taking a time out, or spiking the ball.

No it wasn't. Spiking the ball was a choice. Just like taking a timeout would have been a choice. Or running a play would have been a choice.

JG has decided spiking the ball in that situation is the best way to preserve as many options for himself as possible.

And maybe that's true if you approach the world as a series of logic problems.

But that's not the way football out on the field of play works. When you have your opponent on his heels, as we did the GB defense at that time, you press. Keep driving.

We didn't. And settled for the FG.

There ya go.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
No it wasn't. Spiking the ball was a choice. Just like taking a timeout would have been a choice. Or running a play would have been a choice.

JG has decided spiking the ball in that situation is the best way to preserve as many options for himself as possible.

And maybe that's true if you approach the world as a series of logic problems.

But that's not the way football out on the field of play works. When you have your opponent on his heels, as we did the GB defense at that time, you press. Keep driving.

We didn't. And settled for the FG.

There ya go.
yes, you keep pressing them. that screams, give me as many plays as possibly to attack them

running a play screams, we want to use up as much of the clock as possible, they scare us on offense. it's a wussy move.

willia451

Reaction score
yes, you keep pressing them. that screams, give me as many plays as possibly to attack them

running a play screams, we want to use up as much of the clock as possible, they scare us on offense. it's a wussy move.

Yes. After going down 21-3 in the first 20 min, I can definitely see why we would have absolute confidence in Marinelli and his defense to get a stop on AR.

Play to win. Keep driving and pressing the D that you have on their heels. Do not give the ball back without scoring a TD. If that means you lose in the last minute then that is what it means. Man up and accept the consequences.

At least you went down fighting.

Not that "wussy" prevent three man rush defense we can out with in the first half.

The entire game screamed "Play not to lose". Well. Not the entire game. Dak did try to carry this sorry excuse for a coaching staff and owner.

Just like Romo always has done in the past. Same result though.

It's simply too heavy a lift.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Yes. After going down 21-3 in the first 20 min, I can definitely see why we would have absolute confidence in Marinelli and his defense to get a stop on AR.
you still show a complete inability to see this situational football situation correctly.

spiking the ball or taking a timeout were what you do when you don't trust the defense. playing to overtime is most likely going to put pressure back on the defense - more pressure then defending 25 some seconds of regulation football.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
In 2007 the Cowboys were 13-3 and got all the goodies. One and done.

In 2008 they were 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

In 2016 the Cowboys were 13-3 and got all the goodies. One and done.

2017? Everyone is expecting a breakthrough. Expectations will be high. But its going to be a different team to some degree with all our UFAs. Who will stay and who will go? And we'll have to address the backup QB position if Romo leaves. And we'll have new rookies to absorb from the draft. Will they be any good and be able to help right away? Will Dak be able to replicate his success that he had this season, next season? Plus, our schedule will be more difficult. And there are always injuries that happen.

2017 could easily be 2008 or worse.

And if it is, who will everyone blame?

But having said all that, I agree with the spirit of your post. More of the same.
Well the trend is a bad year after the good year, and no telling how they do next year.

My main doubts about playoffs this time were our coaches, and they let the team down, and was main reason imo for the loss.
Refs helped with that too.
I also knew Rodgers would be better here in a warm dome than in GB.
I knew cook should be dbl covered, but our coaches thought no need for that lol.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm with him. Dak!

Is that just your schtick? Write inane tripe and then speak in gibberish when called on it?

I have yet to see you contribute anything substantive or meaningful. Just a lot of whining about one thing or another.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Is that just your schtick? Write inane tripe and then speak in gibberish when called on it?

I have yet to see you contribute anything substantive or meaningful. Just a lot of whining about one thing or another.

Progress + Results = Win