Jerry Jones, The GM, Suddenly Has Changed?

DanteEXT

Reaction score
The following post pertains to the Frederick draft war room cam ONLY. It does not pertain to all war room cams and drafts and does not pertain to the Ops post.

If you watched the live war cam there was nothing random about. If you watched the live war cam during the first round of the Frederick draft you will see that Garret was not happy. You will also see Jerry and Stephen getting yelled at and them defending the move while the HC sat there looking pissed. I don't care how anyone else trues to say otherwise. Now at the end of the day it panned out. However if anyone argues that nobody could tell what was going on it tells me one of two things.

1 they, themselves, did not actually watch it live so they only seen random images later.
2 they are in denial and wish to minimize the anger that was in the war room when that trade was made.

Unless there is audio all you can take from the live web cam was there was a heated discussion and the head coach may or may not have been pissed about the subject of that conversation. For all anyone of us know is Jerry and Stephen wanted to order Papa Johns and everyone else argued to order Domino's... while Jason was pissed because he just wanted a burger and fries and neither place delivered that.

Seriously, making conclusions on war cam feed is just as ridiculous as seeing sideline shots of Dez being animated and conclude it must be he is throwing an immature fit.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unless there is audio all you can take from the live web cam was there was a heated discussion and the head coach may or may not have been pissed about the subject of that conversation. For all anyone of us know is Jerry and Stephen wanted to order Papa Johns and everyone else argued to order Domino's... while Jason was pissed because he just wanted a burger and fries and neither place delivered that.

Seriously, making conclusions on war cam feed is just as ridiculous as seeing sideline shots of Dez being animated and conclude it must be he is throwing an immature fit.

uhhhh...No...It was not over ordering pizza or any other hypothetical scenario. This was not a dez situation on the sidelines.

I can understand people wanting to play devil's advocate or just for a good old argument make up something that could have happened for arguments sake but that is NOT what happened during that moment in the draft. People need to accept that it was a heated exchange during that draft and people were not happy and quit trying to play like it could have been something else when it has already been reported after.

If the reports never came out later than you could still make that argument (as weak as it is), but they did so No...that was not what was going on.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
uhhhh...No...It was not over ordering pizza or any other hypothetical scenario. This was not a dez situation on the sidelines.

I can understand people wanting to play devil's advocate or just for a good old argument make up something that could have happened for arguments sake but that is NOT what happened during that moment in the draft. People need to accept that it was a heated exchange during that draft and people were not happy and quit trying to play like it could have been something else when it has already been reported after.

If the reports never came out later than you could still make that argument (as weak as it is), but they did so No...that was not what was going on.

I was just making a point that from all we really know from the video itself is that a heated discussion took place. But the specifics without the audio is impossible to know 100% for sure what was said. Was is about the draft? More than likely. It was draft day.

What did Jerry, Stephen and Jason say about that situation and what happened? I don't remember reading anything about their explanation. (that's a serious question, all I remember seeing were reporters and fans conjecturing on what they thought happened)

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
I hate to say it but JJ has been allowing his staff to make calls. How long that will last is exactly how long we will be successful. JJ is still in there.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was just making a point that from all we really know from the video itself is that a heated discussion took place. But the specifics without the audio is impossible to know 100% for sure what was said. Was is about the draft? More than likely. It was draft day.

What did Jerry, Stephen and Jason say about that situation and what happened? I don't remember reading anything about their explanation. (that's a serious question, all I remember seeing were reporters and fans conjecturing on what they thought happened)

It was the crux of how the scouting chain of command was moved.

The scouts had Shariff Floyd at #5 OVERALL on the draft board. The new(at the time) D coaches however did not view him as highly as they did not see him as a 3 tech. So there was a disconnect between coaches and scouts. Jerry had a top 5 talent (on their board) sitting there at they traded down. They also liked safety Eric Reid. We traded down with the 49ers (and did not get trade value accoriding to the charts which later Stephen TRIED to defend saying they got good trade value with the charts they were using) and the 49ers took Reid and we took Travis and T.Williams.

Later the story came out about the disconnect between the scouts and the coaches and how the scouts were still scouting with a 3-4 type of defense in mind vs a 4-3 (which we were running a 3-4 all of those years and during the scouting process until Rob was fired and Montee was hired).

There was a big argument in the war room with Jerry and Stephen getting yelled at by one of the scouts or Tom (don't recall the person now) to the point that Red just sat there red faced with a pissed off look on his face and Jerry and Stephen was defending the decision. It got to the point that they both got up and left the room for a bit.

So I get you are playing devils advocated and trying to make a logical argument that could have happened, but in this case you are just wrong. This is not a Dez situation where later we find out he was not doing things in a selfish or malicious manner.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate to say it but JJ has been allowing his staff to make calls. How long that will last is exactly how long we will be successful. JJ is still in there.

Here is the thing about JJ bashers or JJ defenders.

You can't have it both ways all the time.

If you want to blame Jerry for all the bad things, you gotta give him credit for the good things as well.

If you want to give him credit for all the good things, you gotta admit he is responsible for the bad things.

Jerry has the bottom line for everything cowboys related....good and bad.

Jerry has said that there will not be a player on the team that Jason does not want but he has time and time again (with jason or bill or other coaches) said that he has the bottom line decision when it comes to the cowboys. Right or Wrong he deserves that because he is the one that pays the bills.

I don't have a problem bashing him for stupid stuff he has done. I know there have been times he has told the story of how others have told him not to do something and he has done it anyway. There have been times where he has said he was told NOT to do or say something by others (continue to talk about manziel). So he does listen, but although he does listen it does not mean he will follow what someone tells him...he is the owner and GM and has the final call.

So the whole idea that he only does what others tell him...not exactly correct. He does what he wants...sometimes what he wants is not the same as what others have told him or advised him on...sometimes it is even if it might not be what he would rather do.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
I think it's foolish to think someone like Jerry would change this late in the game. The power structure is as it has always been. Garrett has just put up with it longer than most because this is his first rodeo.

You may be right. However, I disagree. I think Garrett has "put up with it" because:

1. He had/has a vision for what needed/needs to be done for the team to succeed (and succeed for the long haul).
2. He has supreme confidence in his vision/philosophy. Confidence oozes out of him in everything he does.
3. He has the leadership skills/qualities to get everyone pulling in the same direction to achieve what he has envisioned as necessary to succeed.

I am an old retired military guy and I have run across a lot of what I consider to be outstanding leaders in my time. To me, he exhibits so many of the traits and qualities that I have observed from those extremely successful military leaders. I'm not saying football is war, but the parallels between the two are definitely there (Bill Parcells was another I thought of in that light).

Jason Garrett will be Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys for a long time to come...get used to it. I can say that with confidence because I can see where this team has come from to where it is now and on to where it is headed for at least the next few years.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
You may be right. However, I disagree. I think Garrett has "put up with it" because:

1. He had/has a vision for what needed/needs to be done for the team to succeed (and succeed for the long haul).
2. He has supreme confidence in his vision/philosophy. Confidence oozes out of him in everything he does.
3. He has the leadership skills/qualities to get everyone pulling in the same direction to achieve what he has envisioned as necessary to succeed.

I am an old retired military guy and I have run across a lot of what I consider to be outstanding leaders in my time. To me, he exhibits so many of the traits and qualities that I have observed from those extremely successful military leaders. I'm not saying football is war, but the parallels between the two are definitely there (Bill Parcells was another I thought of in that light).

Jason Garrett will be Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys for a long time to come...get used to it. I can say that with confidence because I can see where this team has come from to where it is now and on to where it is headed for at least the next few years.

Parcells and Jimmy were leaders, as well, and it didn't last long before Jerry ran them out of town with his antics. They had skins on the wall, whereas Garrett was a QB coach when he got here.

Last edited:

LandryFan

Reaction score
Parcells and Jimmy were leaders, as well, and it didn't last long before Jerry ran them out of town with his antics. They had skins on the wall, whereas Garrett was a QB coach when he go here.

You may disagree with this, but I believe Garrett is smarter than Jimmy and Bill in the sense that he knows how to successfully work with JJ more so than they did. Jimmy and Bill were two guys who liked to be out front and whose egos were as big, if not bigger, than JJ's. I do not see that in Garrett. Garrett is not about Garrett, he's about team and organization.
As for Jerry "running off" Johnson and Parcells, I'm not going to say he didn't, but I also feel there could be more to the story of them leaving than any of us know. It usually takes two to tango.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
You may disagree with this, but I believe Garrett is smarter than Jimmy and Bill in the sense that he knows how to successfully work with JJ more so than they did. Jimmy and Bill were two guys who liked to be out front and whose egos were as big, if not bigger, than JJ's. I do not see that in Garrett. Garrett is not about Garrett, he's about team and organization.
As for Jerry "running off" Johnson and Parcells, I'm not going to say he didn't, but I also feel there could be more to the story of them leaving than any of us know. It usually takes two to tango.
That's an interesting belief. Do you mind if I ask why you think so? By the way, the reason I ask is because I would say the same thing about Parcells. I actually think he did get Jerry to change in that he took a definite back seat to the Big Tuna.

Jimmy was a psychology major and I think he was a master at dealing with people. However, I also think Jimmy is a bit of a diva and doesn't do well with encroachments into his space.

That's how a lot of Head Coaches are. They can be high maintenance. It is why so many of them end up divorced.

Last edited:

LandryFan

Reaction score
That's an interesting belief. Do you mind if I ask why you think so?

I just think that Red realizes (more so than Bill or Jimmy did) that working with JJ requires patience and knowing when to pick your battles. This may sound like I'm slamming JJ, but that's not my intent. My opinion is that Garrett is more about steering JJ in the direction that Garrett wants to go while Johnson and Parcells were more about forcing JJ in their desired direction. He's just better at managing his boss. JMHO.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Nice read Hos! That's how I see it too. Obviously feathers are ruffled once again.

C'est la vie!

Eddie

Reaction score
I'll agree with this article only after we win at least two playoff games.

Until we win more than a single playoff game in 18 years, I'll withhold judgment on Jerry Jones's GM abilities.

yimyammer

Reaction score
The following post pertains to the Frederick draft war room cam ONLY. It does not pertain to all war room cams and drafts and does not pertain to the Ops post.

If you watched the live war cam there was nothing random about. If you watched the live war cam during the first round of the Frederick draft you will see that Garret was not happy. You will also see Jerry and Stephen getting yelled at and them defending the move while the HC sat there looking pissed. I don't care how anyone else tries to say otherwise. Now at the end of the day it panned out. However if anyone argues that nobody could tell what was going on it tells me one of two things.

1 they, themselves, did not actually watch it live so they only seen random images later.
2 they are in denial and wish to minimize the anger that was in the war room when that trade was made.

Who was yelling at Steven/Jerry?

That whole scenario was a weird dynamic, I'd love to have been a fly on the wall and know how the decision to trade down and grab a lineman was made.

Kudos to whomever did it. If they have to make trades, I always prefer to gather more picks by trading down and getting more balls in the lottery. Makes you wonder who they could have had on the team now if they hadn't made any of the trade-ups they've done the last few years.

LandryFan

Reaction score
That's an interesting belief. Do you mind if I ask why you think so? By the way, the reason I ask is because I would say the same thing about Parcells. I actually think he did get Jerry to change in that he took a definite back seat to the Big Tuna.

Jimmy was a psychology major and I think he was a master at dealing with people. However, I also think Jimmy is a bit of a diva and doesn't do well with encroachments into his space.

That's how a lot of Head Coaches are. They can be high maintenance. It is why so many of them end up divorced.

What I would say was different between the Big Tuna and Red is that Jerry knew that he couldn't have gotten Parcells as coach (even though Parcells reached out to Jerry first) if he wasn't willing to concede some organizational power to Big Bill. This all was happening at a time when Jerry was desperate to appease the fan base following the Campo debacle. With Bill, JJ conceded things because he had to. With Red, he concedes things because he wants to. To me, the two coaches very starkly contrast in their management styles. Red definitely knows that you can attract more bees with honey than with vinegar.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Here is the thing about JJ bashers or JJ defenders.

You can't have it both ways all the time.

If you want to blame Jerry for all the bad things, you gotta give him credit for the good things as well.

If you want to give him credit for all the good things, you gotta admit he is responsible for the bad things.

Jerry has the bottom line for everything cowboys related....good and bad.

do.

From your keyboard to God's eyes.

This is why we have to look at the whole body of work and the trend lines. A guy can be good early in his career and then the league passes him by. Conversely, a guy can learn from past mistakes.

This has been a good season. However, we will need several of thes seasons in a row to know for certain if Jerry has turned a corner.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
From your keyboard to God's eyes.

This is why we have to look at the whole body of work and the trend lines. A guy can be good early in his career and then the league passes him by. Conversely, a guy can learn from past mistakes.

This has been a good season. However, we will need several of thes seasons in a row to know for certain if Jerry has turned a corner.

Yup. We heard the same story in 2007.