Jerry Jones Warned Us

Frozen700

Reaction score
We had an embarrassingly good year last year with the OL. Good health and I really think the decision to come out and run the ball a lot surprised opponents.

We established an identity and now the NFL will be ready to respond from the get-go.

So now, I don't think I agree with the idea our OL will just kill it and it doesn't matter what piece of trash is running the ball.

Your sig line makes what you post pleasant though.

I just don't think we need to go out of our way to get a RB. Unless its someone of AP or Shady type talent, because then we would really dominate.

We saw some of the runs randle and Dunbar had behind this o line, and they are weak, talent wise.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, from what I have heard, they needed a swing tackle/guard to replace whoever that player was that went somewhere else for the money (forget his name).

Of course.

But even if they hadn't taken him and instead drafted one of those backs drafted after... none of those backs taken were going to be 1,500 yard backs this season for Dallas.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Of course.

But even if they hadn't taken him and instead drafted one of those backs drafted after... none of those backs taken were going to be 1,500 yard backs this season for Dallas.

That could be true...however, maybe with a combination of two or three backs that 1,500 can be achieved?

And, if some would step back....Murray is the one that stunk this place up by leaving a good situation, so why don't some take their hate towards Murray? Yeah, yeah, yeah, he needed to feed his family. But, he could have stayed right here and most likely tripled his money if indeed something special happens this season.

jnday

Reaction score
I went back to see where/when backs were drafted in comparison to where the Cowboys picked:

1-10 Gurley
1-15 Gordon
1-27 Cowboys pick
2-4 Yeldon
2-22 Abdullah
2-28 Cowboys pick
3-9 Coleman
3-13 Duke Johnson
3-22 Dave Johnson
3-27 Cowboys pick
3-31 M. Jones
4-7 Langford
4-26 Allen
4.27 Davis
4.28 Cowboys pick

You gonna take Yeldon instead of the corner at #1-27? No.

You gonna take Coleman or Duke Johnson or Dave Johnson over Gregory? No.

Yeah the Cowboys took the OT at #27, but are M. Jones, Langford, Allen or Davis are better than what's already on the roster? I question that one.

The draft didn't fall right for Dallas to draft a RB. It is that simple. That doesn't excuse the fact that they could have moved or had plans in place to maintain the talent at the RB position. Without the physical running game , the pressure falls back on Romo which hasn't worked so well in the past.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One cannot trust Randle to stay out of jail much less be a productive NFL back.

You're right one can't.

But thousands must.

Hey that's life being a fan.

Forsett, yeah Justin Forsett gained 1,200+ yards for the Ravens last season at 5.4 ypc.

Don't make this overly complicated.

Frozen700

Reaction score
So, you offer nothing in response. Good thing Reality has unlimited bandwidth.

How do you want me to respond to that? You try and put Murray and Emmit in the same discussion. That's when I knew you just got desperate for an argument.

If the o line and the average backs we have start doing good, and Murray is trash with the eagles, please continue to flail around and say we need Murray or a player of his caliber, don't switch it up or pretend to enjoy watching the way we play.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The draft didn't fall right for Dallas to draft a RB. It is that simple. That doesn't excuse the fact that they could have moved or had plans in place to maintain the talent at the RB position. Without the physical running game , the pressure falls back on Romo which hasn't worked so well in the past.

You're right it didn't work out well for them to take a back.

BUT I still think the running game will be good enough. The trick will be sticking with 30 carries per game.

In addition, this defense is starting to look more than acceptable.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I get the concern, but can't we just chalk this up to the board not falling in such a way that picking a RB made the most sense whenever we were due to pick? We're acting as though Jerry unilaterally decided that we would actively refuse to draft a back, even if he was the BPA. That strikes me as extremely implausible. Seems far more likely that management built their draft board and stuck to it. The result, perhaps unfortunately, is that the team did nothing to help the RB position.

Of course, it may be that they should have valued the RB position more highly in building their draft board. Perhaps they underestimated the team's need at the position in building the board. But that's by no means certain. I say we let things play out, rather than determine in advance that we're in trouble at RB. Last year we'd have said we were in a world of hurt at LB, especially after Lee went down. Turned out to be the strength of the defense.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Teams don't set the tone of a game by rotating RBs.

I thought you were gone? Besides, I did not say rotate, instead, I mean depending on the situation and game, one could flourish and another could flourish in another game. From what I have been hearing, this "bell cow" running back is no longer vogue in today's NFL. Now, I would like an AP...but that is not likely.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

But they're going to have to a certain extent. And even if Murray was still hear you can't ride the guy for another 24 1/2 carries per game. Just can't do it.

Marshawn Lynch has been very good at setting the tone for Seattle averaging right around 18 carries a game.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
:lmao2:So you are going to conflate us with Obama's campaign slogans in an effort to be derisive. Grasp at straws much?

You spend your time here assuming so much that isn't fact. It must be tough believing you are the arbiter of sound logic for this team's fans.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score

The Patriots won a Super Bowl with rotating running backs. The Ravens won a super Bowl with rotating running backs. The Giants won a Super Bowl with rotating running backs. The Saints won a Super Bowl with rotating running backs. The Steelers won a Super Bowl with rotating running backs. The Colts won a Super Bowl with rotating running backs

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score

But has he had what is in front of him or what is on the other side of the ball before?
If you lost Murray and didn't improve your defense I think it'd be appropriate to be sincerely concerned but I don't think that's the case.

As far as the running game, I keep going back to the yards before contact bit. If Murray can get 1000 before he gets touched I wonder what Randle can do with those same holes. He might not be able to get the same short yardage pick ups that Murray did but his breakaway ability trumps Murray's IMO. So maybe there is not as much need for those yards.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I just don't think we need to go out of our way to get a RB. Unless its someone of AP or Shady type talent, because then we would really dominate.

We saw some of the runs randle and Dunbar had behind this o line, and they are weak, talent wise.

I was not one of many here who suggested we move up for Gurley or Gordon.

But when it comes down to a good back like Ajayi with an injury concern or a player like Wilson who frankly will never be a significant player in this league unless disaster strikes, I take that gamble.

Jones loves to talk about "risk". He took high stakes with Gregory and when it came down to lower risk, with a lower draft choice, we pick a positional coach's pet cat.

Sorry, that makes zero sense to me unless he really and truly believes the RB position is set.

Apparently he does and that decision will have a real and direct impact on this team's success this upcoming year.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I think people are finally going to find out what Murray meant to this team when they see the trash trying to replace him. I can't believe this organization didn't upgrade this position.