Jerry Jones Warned Us

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
That's fine, at the time I was all for it.

But if the plan all along was not focus on getting a RB in the draft, better insurance should have been brought in than McFadden. Even a stopgap vet like Gore or Ingram.

McFadden is the stopgap the Cowboys chose. You or I don't know if Gore or Ingram is what the Cowboys wanted.

jnday

Reaction score
Pittsburgh, Carolina, Atlanta and KC have to the playoffs over recent history off the top of my head.

None of them relied on the run the way this team does. None of them had the ability to drive the ball down a defense's throat week after week. Dallas doesn't have a RB on the rooster capable of doing that now.

wileedog

Reaction score
Well I'm not convinced any of the backs not named Gordon or Gurley were worth spending additional draft picks to acquire.

Maybe not. But if they were prepared to not reach for a RB in this draft no matter what happens then there should have been a better plan B in place than rolling the dice on this crew.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. As of now, the RBs consist of two walking injuries , a criminal and a midget. Better preparation would have helped by signing a solid RB if they were not going to draft one.

Fair enough, but which RB are you referring to?

I'll throw a name out there Chris Johnson. He still averaged 4.3 ypc last season.

Knowshon Moreno is also out there.

Even if Williams or McFadden are total busts, the Cowboys can still find a back.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
None of them relied on the run the way this team does. None of them had the ability to drive the ball down a defense's throat week after week. Dallas doesn't have a RB on the rooster capable of doing that now.

Carolina and Atlanta sure did in Cam and Ryan's first years. KC always has with Alex Smith at QB although from the committee a guy has emerged. Pittsburgh to an extent but it still worked.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
The team did not have the oline Murray had last year! Use some sense dude! When Martin came aboard it solidified an oline that was being talked about as the best in the NFL! Did the great Murray have that his first years in Dallas? No...did he lead the league in rushing? No. Is it because the Cowboys did not use him right? lmao

You do of course understand that you just outlined my position of one of the reasons behind why Murray was not a league leader in years past before 2014? Right? But because the team passed so much, and some of that falls onj Romo audibling out of the call from the sidelines - per his own admission - was one reason they did not exploit his talents correc

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe not. But if they were prepared to not reach for a RB in this draft no matter what happens then there should have been a better plan B in place than rolling the dice on this crew.

Maybe there is still a plan B in place. Chris Johnson is still out there. Moreno is still out there. There are backs out there who can probably come in here and average 4.2 ypc and tote the ball 200 times.

wileedog

Reaction score
McFadden is the stopgap the Cowboys chose. You or I don't know if Gore or Ingram is what the Cowboys wanted.

I think they would have been in a better position to play the "let the draft come to us game" with a RB on the roster with more recent, proven success than McFadden.

And I say that as someone who was ok with the signing at the time, I just didn't think that was going to be the end of it.

wileedog

Reaction score
Maybe there is still a plan B in place. Chris Johnson is still out there. Moreno is still out there. There are backs out there who can probably come in here and average 4.2 ypc and tote the ball 200 times.

Let's see if they move on one. Right now what they are saying is they are happy with what they have.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's see if they move on one. Right now what they are saying is they are happy with what they have.

Of course.

It's not like they don't have time.

And you know additional backs will be available throughout camp.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
You do of course understand that you just outlined my position of one of the reasons behind why Murray was not a league leader in years past before 2014? Right? But because the team passed so much, and some of that falls onj Romo audibling out of the call from the sidelines - per his own admission - was one reason they did not exploit his talents correc

I get it! Damn! But the decision was Murray's not the Cowboys! What was Murray's initial offer? 5-6 mil a season?

Well, according to Murray, that could not feed his family! Put the running back blame where it belongs...DeMarco Murray, period.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I think they would have been in a better position to play the "let the draft come to us game" with a RB on the roster with more recent, proven success than McFadden.

And I say that as someone who was ok with the signing at the time, I just didn't think that was going to be the end of it.

Dude...listen....they wanted a running back in this draft, but the one's they wanted were already gone and the chose to not "reach" instead they stuck to their board. Had one of the backs been there, they would have taken him...it just did not work out and they stuck to their board, and did a damn good job IMO.

The Cowboys got some damn good players on defense...which was the crutch of the team last year.

jnday

Reaction score
Fair enough, but which RB are you referring to?

I'll throw a name out there Chris Johnson. He still averaged 4.3 ypc last season.

Knowshon Moreno is also out there.

Even if Williams or McFadden are total busts, the Cowboys can still find a back.

They don't need leftovers. They needed one solid , 3 down RB to maintain the progress they have made. This offense is going to take a step back in the very area that was responsible for the 4 extra wins. Without that time consuming running game, the defense is going to be exposed to the point that Hardy or a couple rookies sure won't make a difference. It seems like the whole identity of the team was a smash-mouth, physical team. A big part of that is gone.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I don't blame you for dissembling. Shall we do a google search for 'hope and change?' Surprise surprise it was a bunch of political cartoons hammering Obama.

I invite anyone who questions whether 2Deep is being honest to do the same google search and see for themselves.

Once again you assume. It initially came from Obama himself in his 2008 stump speeches. I co-opted it and gave it another meaning in describing those who toss out name calling against those who question aspects of this team. My little inside joke with me. Not anything you assume it is.

You live in a glass house. You inject yourself in others debates, slandering those who don't seem to agree with you. You use this emotional dishonesty, and dishonesty in general as a label of others when you don't truly understand or know for a fact their position. Then have the gumption to suggest you weren't speaking to me when I illustrated a point you made to Booze.

You hold yourself up as some intellectual super hero that has to defend the lowly slow thinkers on this board who seem to vocalize their discontent with anyone who actually has the temerity to question a decision by this team.

I've seen you do this for more than a decade.

The only value I find in your posts is when you use the all-22 and dissect what you see in games and offer a journeyman opinion on what has transpired. I do appreciate those, although your football speak, which has infected this site with buzz terms like 5 technique and such is a bit presumptuous.

As far me, I am not a coach, and therefore don't need the trappings to appear like one.

But I do read them every time you post them. And enjoy them.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They don't need leftovers. They needed one solid , 3 down RB to maintain the progress they have made. This offense is going to take a step back in the very area that was responsible for the 4 extra wins. Without that time consuming running game, the defense is going to be exposed to the point that Hardy or a couple rookies sure won't make a difference. It seems like the whole identity of the team was a smash-mouth, physical team. A big part of that is gone.

We're going to have to wait for that 3-down back to make themselves known and I doubt any rookie that came in was going to be that guy in his first season.

The team wasn't going to be able to afford both Murray and Hardy.

Regardless I think the running game is going to be acceptable. 30 carries a game. 4.2 ypc average.

The defense will be improved and this club will not miss a beat (provided it's not hit with a rash of injuries).

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I get it! Damn! But the decision was Murray's not the Cowboys! What was Murray's initial offer? 5-6 mil a season?

Well, according to Murray, that could not feed his family! Put the running back blame where it belongs...DeMarco Murray, period.

So the decision to not offer a contract which would have served both sides was Murray's? In this game you have a short life span and getting the best deal is not the fault of the player. Jones will still be wealthy no matter what he paid Murray.

My thinking is Jerry and Stephen decided they could get AP and so they allowed Murray to walk. I cannot fault a guy for wanting more than offered. But I can fault a team which head butted that old adage of one in the hand and two in the bush which has left this team with bench RB's with no credible stats or accomplishments. And Jerry's comments about them show he is either gilding the lily or he is living in a Fool's Paradise.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
So the decision to not offer a contract which would have served both sides was Murray's? In this game you have a short life span and getting the best deal is not the fault of the player. Jones will still be wealthy no matter what he paid Murray.

My thinking is Jerry and Stephen decided they could get AP and so they allowed Murray to walk. I cannot fault a guy for wanting more than offered. But I can fault a team which head butted that old adage of one in the hand and two in the bush which has left this team with bench RB's with no credible stats or accomplishments. And Jerry's comments about them show he is either gilding the lily or he is living in a Fool's Paradise.

Salary cap...learn it.