Jerry Jones when asked why not put Jimmy Johnson in the Ring of Honor

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact that 30 years have gone by since Jimmy built and coached the first and only back to back SB champions in Cowboys history, is inducted into the pro football HOF, and somehow is NOT already in the Cowboys ROH is an absolute disgrace to every other honored member of the ROH.

Jerry’s pathetic pettiness disgraces every member of the Ring…from Lily, Staubach, and Dandy Don all the way to Troy, Emmitt and Michael. Absolutely disgusting.

Londonboy

Reaction score
This is the gift that keeps on giving.
It's fun to watch this blowhard have his balloon punctured on a regular basis by a simple question.

khiladi

Reaction score
I can’t believe I used to defend this guy… Jerry actually thinks he originated the Cowboys and the Cowboys is the Jones family….

DandyDon52

Reaction score

ok isnt landry already in??
That leaves switzer who did win a SB, but there isnt another coach that should be put in.
Jerry said last time that there were others to put in and they were still deciding that.
So now a year later he comes up with this lol.

I think he wants others to minimize jimmy going in, and jimmy will just be 1 of 5 lol.

If he had any brains he would put jimmy in a special show, chg $2 admission and make a little money , get it aired on local tv and nfl network.

So if he ever does it , there will be a group to minimize jimmy, and if he puts barry in at same time, that is pretty much a insult.

If he did players from jimmys team that would be ok.

I already knew what type of person jerry is so this doesnt surprise me at all.

What would surprise me is if he did jimmy by himself in a respectful manner.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Forget all of that. Jerry needs to step aside and hire Bill Parcells to come back and clean up the mess down there before it's too late.
Not a great idea. The game has passed Bill Parcells by and he doesn't want to head coach anymore. He is also 81 years old.

raven55

Reaction score
I guess it still sticks in his craw that jimmy is the only coach to put a super bowl ring on his finger and that has been coach switzer used jimmy's team to get a ring so anybody out there thinks switzer did anything just remember the next year he was gone after jimmy's team broke up. and jerry wouldn't even be mentioned without jimmy johnson so it still haunts him 29 years and counting and what no more super bowls for him

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Let's say the day finally comes that Jerry decides to induct Jimmy into the ROH. If I'm Jimmy I refuse to show up for the ceremony and the unveiling. Screw Jerry and all his petty garbage.

RD21

Reaction score
The fact that 30 years have gone by since Jimmy built and coached the first and only back to back SB champions in Cowboys history, is inducted into the pro football HOF, and somehow is NOT already in the Cowboys ROH is an absolute disgrace to every other honored member of the ROH.

Jerry’s pathetic pettiness disgraces every member of the Ring…from Lily, Staubach, and Dandy Don all the way to Troy, Emmitt and Michael. Absolutely disgusting.
Agreed. Jimmy should have been inducted into the ROH with Troy, Michael, & Emmitt. That would've been the MOST appropriate time for his induction.

That he hasn't been included nearly 20yrs after they were, is a disgrace. Jimmy was the right guy, at the right time. I think an argument can be made (easily imo), that without Jimmy, we don't win those 3 in the 90's. His drafting, trades, schemes, choice of asst coaches, & overall leadership, is what created that dynasty.

Having said that, Jerry could get a tiny bit of respect back, if he just bites the bullet & does the right thing here.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Below are Jerry Jones' comments in full context (2 minutes 10 seconds). YouTube may eventually remove my upload, so any members can view the entire video by clicking here and going to the 6:36 mark instead.

If it were possible, I would love hearing the conversation Jerry Jones has repeatedly said he had with Tex Schramm. It is his constant fallback explanation. I would also love the opportunity of asking Schramm what would be his opinion of Jimmy Johnson's omission from the Dallas Cowboys Ring of Honor.

I read through the thread. It is surprising that the simple ego explanation has not been posted. Not sure why anyone would come to that conclusion when Jones says:

"...And don't just put in it the greatest players or the greatest coaches. Put in the ones who make the greatest contribution to the franchise and help build and are cornerstones of the franchise."

Of course, he was answering when DeMarcus Ware would be inducted into the Ring but it is always a *tell* for him when admitting the exact criteria that should have compelled him to induct Johnson a long time ago. Yeah. Yeah. Jones and Johnson had a messy divorce. Yada yada yada. Perhaps Schramm advised him who to not induct when they hurt his feelings too, lol.

Narcissist.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What a POS ....... his defenders will be here any minute bad mouthing Jimmy Johnson.
So yesterday I heard we have Zack Martin haters who I never heard of lol......now we got Jimmy Johnson haters and Jerry Jones defenders. Where are they?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Norv Turner would be my guess.

But I also believe Jerry is just spouting nonsense. What coach other than Jimmy and Landry deserve to be in the ROH?
He's spewing nonsense like you said. Barry is the only one who won a SB here and it was with Jimmy's team so I don't know what "other coaches" you could even make up. He's full of it.