Jerry Jones when asked why not put Jimmy Johnson in the Ring of Honor

visionary

Reaction score
Don't think Jerry is all that sensitive to criticism since he's received so much of it over the years and only changed what he wants to change. I assume if he did something like that to honor more than one deserving coach, he would justify it as them being the coaching staff of a Dallas dynasty, not just Jimmy. Don't know how they would do it on the ring plaque, maybe Jimmy's name prominently with Norv, Wannstedt, etc., under it. Of course, this is all speculation. He could be talking about Switzer. He could be talking about Stautner. I really doubt he's talking about Garrett, Parcells, etc. I don't think even he could justify that.
Yeah, he’s a pathetic old man. I could definitely see him inducting “Jimmy and Switzer, and Norv” as Architects of the dynasty in an effort to water down Jimmys significance

pansophy

Reaction score
A biased opinion there...Switzer won more games at the NFL and Collegiate levels, both.
I don't have a strong opinion on Switzer -- I'm a BIG10 guy -- but I know Aikman didn't like him because he didn't discipline players and he didn't coach again after coaching the Cowboys (which sadly seems to be the case for all our head coaches since Jimmy Johnson). The point here is that Johnson didn't like him and so instead of giving Jimmy some recognition and glory and Jerry is going to stick it to him by putting him with Switzer -- at least that's how I read that quote.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, he’s a pathetic old man. I could definitely see him inducting “Jimmy and Switzer, and Norv” as Architects of the dynasty in an effort to water down Jimmys significance
One of the reasons Jerry hired Barry was a slap in the face to Jimmy.
if both of them, it would be another slap..

Jimmy May tell Jerry to take a leap from the top of his stadium.
Or Jimmy May be man enough just to go through with it for it to backfire on Jerry.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Don't think Jerry is all that sensitive to criticism since he's received so much of it over the years and only changed what he wants to change. I assume if he did something like that to honor more than one deserving coach, he would justify it as them being the coaching staff of a Dallas dynasty, not just Jimmy. Don't know how they would do it on the ring plaque, maybe Jimmy's name prominently with Norv, Wannstedt, etc., under it. Of course, this is all speculation. He could be talking about Switzer. He could be talking about Stautner. I really doubt he's talking about Garrett, Parcells, etc. I don't think even he could justify that.
Jerry gets criticized all the time, but he doesn’t like looking like an idiot, which is exactly what he would look like by adding a couple of coaches to the ROH along with Jimmy that don’t deserve the honor. He’s added multiple people to the ROH before, the triplets went in together. Their isn’t a way Jerry could add Jimmy to the ROH without having to introduce him and watching him receive a lot of praise from Norv and Wannstedt who Jimmy hired. The bottom line is Jerry doesn’t want Jimmy in the ROH because he’s still bitter about their break up.

visionary

Reaction score

Or Jimmy May be man enough just to go through with it for it to backfire on Jerry.
I absolutely dislike Switzer because if this

I hope Jimmy does refuse Jerry if he tries to do this. That would be great

CCBoy

Reaction score

Really think that Jimmy Johnson would be in the Hall of Fame now if he had not latched onto Jerry Jones just when he did?

Actually Jerry sold the farm to buy the ranch.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A biased opinion there...Switzer won more games at the NFL and Collegiate levels, both.
Switzer pretty much let the team run itself while he was here. Aikman was thrilled when he heard Switzer was coming, but soon realized he wasn't the same type of coach he was in college. Aikman hated having to be the disciplinarian on the team. Switzer barely deserves acknowledgement of ever even being the coach.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Switzer pretty much let the team run itself while he was here. Aikman was thrilled when he heard Switzer was coming, but soon realized he wasn't the same type of coach he was in college. Aikman hated having to be the disciplinarian on the team. Switzer barely deserves acknowledgement of ever even being the coach.
Aikman was the coach.

Sydla

Reaction score
Why wouldn't I? He's the owner of your favorite team...so, you put money in his pockets....you don't like it, stop watching and stop being a hypocrite.
You support him as much as I do...I'm just not afraid to say it.
There’s a difference between supporting him while also criticizing him when warranted….. and outright Jones homerism.

You are the latter.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Just listen to JJ I really don't think Jimmy will be in the ROH

Maybe in private Jimmy has told Jerry he won't take it

erod

Reaction score
Barry won a Super Bowl, so he's in, too.

That's going to be Jerry's way of sticking it to Jimmy when he puts him in. By also putting in Jimmy's replacement.

God help us.

Meanwhile, it's been more than 10,000 days since we played in a Super Bowl, and the three coaches who got us there are dead or in their 80s.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There’s a difference between supporting him while also criticizing him when warranted….. and outright Jones homerism.

You are the latter.
I am....he's here, Jimmy is long gone...keep stroking him, he still won't come back.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm sure plenty of people here have had bosses they hated. Jimmy just handled that very poorly. His backbiting until he got fired was both passive aggressive and juvenile.

I can understand both why people like Jimmy and why he will never get into the RoH.

J_Allen

Reaction score
I'm going with Dave Campo.

I really miss those days of losing every game to the Eagles by 21 points.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There are players who belong in there too, but Jimmy Johnson should be first and foremost. Jerry's just going to skirt around the subject until he kicks the bucket. He really is pathetic. Still hoping for his little slice of credit.

Yup, all while flushing it away by looking like a petty child.

CCBoy

Reaction score
He wasn't a very good one....whining and complaining....great message. Coaching isn't as easy as some think
"...And don't just put in it the greatest players or the greatest coaches. Put in the ones who make the greatest contribution to the franchise and help build and are cornerstones of the franchise."

Straight from Tex Schramm's mouth!