Jerry Jones when asked why not put Jimmy Johnson in the Ring of Honor

pansophy

Reaction score
He’s going to put in Barry Switzer in with him. That’s the ultimate ** because he hired Switzer in part to prove to Jimmy that anybody could coach this team to a Super Bowl. If I remember correctly, Johnson and Switzerland did not like each other.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol. Head coaches and general managers have typically come-and-gone throughout NFL history and usually in short order. Johnson? Gone. Switzer? Gone. Gailey? Gone. De-pantsed Campo? Gone. Parcells? Gone. Phillips? Gone. Garrett? Gone. McCarthy? Pending.

Well, those are all of the head coaches during the past 34 years.

CCBoy

Reaction score
He’s going to put in Barry Switzer in with him. That’s the ultimate ** because he hired Switzer in part to prove to Jimmy that anybody could coach this team to a Super Bowl. If I remember correctly, Johnson and Switzerland did not like each other.
A biased opinion there...Switzer won more games at the NFL and Collegiate levels, both.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He acknowledged that Jimmy is deserving, so I think the only way he would induct him is to water down his induction. I mean, it takes some of the focus off Jimmy (which Jerry would want), if he inducts him with his coaching staff or inducts Switzer with him for being the other Super Bowl coach of that dynasty or if he inducts himself with Jimmy as the masterminds of those teams. (I think the third one is unlikely because Jones would want the spotlight to himself.)
Watering down his induction by adding a couple of coaches that don’t deserve to be in the ROH would just open up Jerry to more criticism. If he’s going to put Jimmy in the ROH he needs to do it the right way. Even if he ever puts Jimmy in he’s going to be criticized for not doing it sooner.

Sydla

Reaction score
Let it go...Jimmy is gone!!! How is he gonna help us win now? Keep kissing his butt if you want, coaches come and go... get over it.
LOL, this is your retort?

It's not about kissing his butt. I could care less about Jimmy. The important thing here is that this episode is another example of the arrogance and stupidity and pettiness and stubbornness of our owner that also plays out in his team building as GM. There's a reason why this team hasn't seen a NFC title game since those Jimmy teams got dismantled.

And it ain't because of Jimmy Johnson. It's the guy who you continually defend.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL, this is your retort?

It's not about kissing his butt. I could care less about Jimmy. The important thing here is that this episode is another example of the arrogance and stupidity and pettiness and stubbornness of our owner that also plays out in his team building as GM. There's a reason why this team hasn't seen a NFC title game since those Jimmy teams got dismantled.

And it ain't because of Jimmy Johnson. It's the guy who you continually defend.
Why wouldn't I? He's the owner of your favorite team...so, you put money in his pockets....you don't like it, stop watching and stop being a hypocrite.
You support him as much as I do...I'm just not afraid to say it.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The ROH is beneath Jimmy at this point. I hope Jerry finally tells him he's in, and Jimmy tells him to shove it.
I wish the triplets would all say on national television ....... If Jimmy isn't there ....... take me out too.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wish the triplets would all say on national television ....... If Jimmy isn't there ....... take me out too.
LOL! Jimmy quit on them....why would they say that? I'd be pissed if that happened to me. He put his ego in front of his team...Jerry signed their paychecks, not Jimmy.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
There is literally no other coach that needs to be in the RoH…. 3-5 players, ok, but no other coach.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
“Because I am a petty old man that doesn’t want to share the only success this shell of a franchise had in my 35 year reign of terror.”

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Watering down his induction by adding a couple of coaches that don’t deserve to be in the ROH would just open up Jerry to more criticism. If he’s going to put Jimmy in the ROH he needs to do it the right way. Even if he ever puts Jimmy in he’s going to be criticized for not doing it sooner.
Don't think Jerry is all that sensitive to criticism since he's received so much of it over the years and only changed what he wants to change. I assume if he did something like that to honor more than one deserving coach, he would justify it as them being the coaching staff of a Dallas dynasty, not just Jimmy. Don't know how they would do it on the ring plaque, maybe Jimmy's name prominently with Norv, Wannstedt, etc., under it. Of course, this is all speculation. He could be talking about Switzer. He could be talking about Stautner. I really doubt he's talking about Garrett, Parcells, etc. I don't think even he could justify that.