Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This GM stance and philosophy sure might have come in handy in past contract negotiations with...(cough)- Lawrence, Smith, Zeke and (cough, cough) Prescott.

jmo
MOST IGNORANT POST OF THE YEAR! ^^^^

Lawrence, Smith, Zeke and Prescott earned and got paid their 1st big contract after their rookie contract just like Zack Martin did. The problem is Zack Martin wants another big contract while he still has 2 years left in his current big contract.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Lawrence, Smith, Zeke and Prescott earned and got paid their 1st big contract after their rookie contract just like Zack Martin did. The problem is Zack Martin wants another big contract while he still has 2 years left in his current big contract.
That’s the question I have . Is it possible to avoid another big contract and just throw a few million his way for the last two years of current contract as I wouldn’t be in favor of another long term deal at his age.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
This is another reason why converting base salaries into bonus money is stupid.

Now it'll cost Dallas a hell of a lot more to have him off the field (in whatever capacity) than it will to have him on the field even under a new deal.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love Martin as a player but G just isn't one of those positions you need to pay. No reason for Dallas to follow the errors of atlanta and indy paying their elite guards. I think 13.5M is a fair salary for him. If Martin were to hit the market at his age, he would be lucky to match his current salary.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Was there ever a day when players took less to leave money to pay others. Everybody wants to get paid. We see brady take less but it didn’t spread through the NFL.
Tyron Smith gave more than half back ($9 million in base and $2 million more in playoffs pay) for 2023 and used it as a non-guaranteed full incentive based salary contract for 2023.

The Cowboys asked Smith - with whom the Joneses have an almost familial relationship - to agree to the restructuring of the his deal so some of the $13.6 million in base salary he is due would not show up in cement on the 2023 cap.

Instead, Smith agreed to transform a significant portion of what was to be his base salary (that he would get no matter what) into incentives (which he will only get if certain parameters are met).

Per Tom Pelissero of NFL Network reports that Smith's restructured deal features $3 million (guaranteed) in base salary with a $3 million signing bonus.

That means Tyron is making $6 million this year, for certain. That's it.

He can earn back his now-gone money via a play-time incentive (worth up to $9 million) and a playoff incentive (worth up to $2 million).

ESPN offers the incentive breakdown that adds up to the chance to make $17 million ... with a mountain of "if's.'' ...

And in the end? The adjustment - the sacrifice - opens up $9.6 million in 2023 cap space for Dallas.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...new-contract-details-dak-prescott-jerry-jones

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is another reason why converting base salaries into bonus money is stupid.

Now it'll cost Dallas a hell of a lot more to have him off the field (in whatever capacity) than it will to have him on the field even under a new deal.
That’s my concern as well especially sensing it’s not a matter of if but when Tyron goes down.

What’s the impact of not having Tyron and Zack this season to our new offense and expectations for 2023?

Is it a greater impact than dishing out a few million more for a couple seasons to our best OL?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I love Martin as a player but G just isn't one of those positions you need to pay. No reason for Dallas to follow the errors of atlanta and indy paying their elite guards. I think 13.5M is a fair salary for him. If Martin were to hit the market at his age, he would be lucky to match his current salary.
You’re not concerned about the impacts to our offense especially knowing Tyron won’t make it entire season.

We really believe this running game with so many question marks heading in along with new offense will not suffer as a result?

Now if Martin wants an entirely new long term deal at his age I’d draw that line in the sand. But if we can just throw him a few million for last two years of his contract so he’s a top 5 paid RG then I’d try to find a way .

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Zeke held out after his second year in the league with 3 years left on his rookie deal. DLAW threatened to postpone his shoulder surgery if the cowboys didn't pony up. Neither of those guys came anywhere close to living up to the deals after Jerry caved and I think Zach is going to be the victim of Jerrys poor past judgement.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re not concerned about the impacts to our offense especially knowing Tyron won’t make it entire season.

We really believe this running game with so many question marks heading in along with new offense will not suffer as a result?

Now if Martin wants an entirely new long term deal at his age I’d draw that line in the sand. But if we can just throw him a few million for last two years of his contract so he’s a top 5 paid RG then I’d try to find a way .
Oh, your one the guys who thinks the team is on the precipice of a super bowl. I don't. The offense is going to be a mess regardless b/c Pollard can't carry the load and Dak is.....Dak.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I have no idea how this gets resolved, but there is 0% chance Martin is not on the field Game 1 vs NYG. All fans would be best serve to just close eyes/ears as the Joneses and Martin's reps battle this out thru the media. It's all noise. They'll figure something out before it really matters.