Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Martin hasn’t stated he wants another long term deal. The statements have simply been he believes he deserves to be a top 5 paid at his position.

Which means we could restructure his two years remaining. And could front load the increase in signing bonus which wouldn’t count against the Cap.

I’d like to hear from those fans who don’t believe Martin is still playing at a high level top 5 caliber in the league.
Baloney, Greg. Martin hasn't said he wants top 5 pay either. What he has implied is his pay should reflect his playing ability status compared to the very highest paid Guards right now in the NFL...which is $20+ million/year. So what does that imply? Sure doesn't sound like top 5 pay. Sounds like Martin was to get top overall pay once again like in 2018.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Baloney, Greg. Martin hasn't said he wants top 5 pay either. What he has implied is his pay should reflect his playing ability status compared to the very highest paid Guards right now in the NFL...which is $20+ million/year. So what does that imply? Sure doesn't sound like top 5 pay. Sounds like Martin was to get top overall pay once again like in 2018.
I think the implications are arguable ,up for discussion and negotiable .

What I’m saying is we could offer him top 5 paid for remaining two years might be enough. Not sure it has to be 20 mil per year but at least closer to it than currently 7th highest.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I think the implications are arguable ,up for discussion and negotiable .

What I’m saying is we could offer him top 5 paid for remaining two years might be enough. Not sure it has to be 20 mil per year but at least closer to it than currently 7th highest.
Zack Martin is currently averaging $13.5 mil/year. Jerry should offer Martin another $1.5 mil added per year with the incentive to add another $1-$2 mil based on production, plus playoffs. If Martin refuses but instead wants closer to $20 mil/year, Jerry should not cave but instead leave the lesser offer on the table. This shows the rest of the team that Jerry and the Cowboys are willing to budge a little if you are willing to work with the team as well. If Martin refuses and decides to keep sitting out, start finding a trading partner to get at least a 1st and a 3rd round picks for him.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
And this is the consequences of paying 3-4 players ( especially the QB) huge contracts. Others position and players can't.
Dak says "pay the man", well, I say to Dak, take a pay cut TO PAY THE MAN.
The only way to do that is to push Dak's salary into future years, thus meaning the Cowboys first need to sign Dak to an extension. Which probably makes half the members of this forum shudder.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Zack Martin is currently averaging $13.5 mil/year. Jerry should offer Martin another $1.5 mil added per year with the incentive to add another $1-$2 mil based on production, plus playoffs. If Martin refuses but instead wants closer to $20 mil/year, Jerry should not cave but instead leave the lesser offer on the table. This shows the rest of the team that Jerry and the Cowboys are willing to budge a little if you are willing to work with the team as well. If Martin refuses and decides to keep sitting out, start finding a trading partner to get at least a 1st and a 3rd round picks for him.
That’s a reasonable beginning negotiation. I’d hope they’d both be flexible to meeting somewhere in the middle that works for both.

My greatest concern is the impacts this could make on the season. And possibly more moving forward if it greatly impacted this season.

I’m not sure what the future holds if our offense is a flop this year derailing this season.

Jipper

Reaction score
I don't like how Jerry mentioned micah by name.
Why not?

Would you have felt better if he said we have a defensive player of the year runner up and 2024 front runner on a rookie contract that is going to set the market?

Micah is what he is- I have no issue with Jerry being open and direct about it

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Why not?

Would you have felt better if he said we have a defensive player of the year runner up and 2024 front runner on a rookie contract that is going to set the market?

Micah is what he is- I have no issue with Jerry being open and direct about it
Nah he could've just said we have guys to pay. No need to make it personal. Jerry just runs his mouth too much and he did it on purpose.