Jerry not interested on making changes w/Zack Martins contract?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh, your one the guys who thinks the team is on the precipice of a super bowl. I don't. The offense is going to be a mess regardless b/c Pollard can't carry the load and Dak is.....Dak.
I understand but does our coaching staff , front office and leadership believe this team is on the cusp of contending for a SB?

If they do then Martin is a critical piece for this offense and ultimately teams success.

I certainly don’t think the Cowboys believe they are in rebuilding mode. This is a critical season for MM.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
No ...... I am not worried about Martin getting paid or not ....... I just hate that these owners cannot just say they don't want to pay them instead of using the salary cap, that they decide what it is, as an excuse.

The owners could triple the salary cap tomorrow if they wanted too ...... yet they act like they are handcuffed by it.

I hate the dishonesty by the owners who are already running an legal monopoly with no overseeing at all.
See you are emotionally invested. And what kind of oversight are you implying? Government oversight?

Maverick84

Reaction score
An incredibly cash rich team? There is a salary cap. It doesn't matter how much money you have. It has nothing to do with that. You can only spend so much.
it is beyond the realm of possibility how some people still don't understand this in 2023

also @ChronicCowboy is right

you have dudes out here stanning going "GET YOUR MONEY" "GET YOUR BAG" etc etc, or lurking threads like these talkin about "WHY DIDN'T YOU SHOW THE SAME ENERGY WHEN ZEKE WAS HOLDING OUT, HMMM, I WONDER WHY HMMM"

I mean these players aren't your cousins, you're not getting any money from them, so do you support your team or do you think the salary cap no longer exists

smfh

Motorola

Reaction score
That’s the question I have . Is it possible to avoid another big contract and just throw a few million his way for the last two years of current contract as I wouldn’t be in favor of another long term deal at his age.
But Diehardblues -- that why so many CZers are knee-jerking so negatively -- they ASSUME Martin wants some muti-year, mega-bucks = pie-in-the sky deal.
Other than the two parties involved, no one knows what Martin and his agent have proposed to the Cowboys FO to secure his immediate future (= ending his career) with the team.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They already set the precedent by paying guys like Zeke with two years left. Zack Martin is more important to the team success now and has contributed more over the year than the guys they set the precedent with.
Lesson learned....

phildadon86

Reaction score
Tyron Smith gave more than half back ($9 million in base and $2 million more in playoffs pay) for 2023 and used it as a non-guaranteed full incentive based salary contract for 2023.

The Cowboys asked Smith - with whom the Joneses have an almost familial relationship - to agree to the restructuring of the his deal so some of the $13.6 million in base salary he is due would not show up in cement on the 2023 cap.

Instead, Smith agreed to transform a significant portion of what was to be his base salary (that he would get no matter what) into incentives (which he will only get if certain parameters are met).

Per Tom Pelissero of NFL Network reports that Smith's restructured deal features $3 million (guaranteed) in base salary with a $3 million signing bonus.

That means Tyron is making $6 million this year, for certain. That's it.

He can earn back his now-gone money via a play-time incentive (worth up to $9 million) and a playoff incentive (worth up to $2 million).

ESPN offers the incentive breakdown that adds up to the chance to make $17 million ... with a mountain of "if's.'' ...

And in the end? The adjustment - the sacrifice - opens up $9.6 million in 2023 cap space for Dallas.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...new-contract-details-dak-prescott-jerry-jones
Tyron is an amazing person. Always has been.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Zeke held out after his second year in the league with 3 years left on his rookie deal. DLAW threatened to postpone his shoulder surgery if the cowboys didn't pony up. Neither of those guys came anywhere close to living up to the deals after Jerry caved and I think Zach is going to be the victim of Jerrys poor past judgement.
Actually Zeke held out after 3 years with 2 years left. And the reason they caved was they were concerned his absence would further expose Dak.

And this is probably why they’ll cave in again. They think they are on the cusp of contending along with exposure of Dak and MM and his new offense .

It doesn’t matter what we think. My thoughts revolve around what they think and the actions they take accordingly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But Diehardblues -- that why so many CZers are knee-jerking so negatively -- they ASSUME Martin wants some muti-year, mega-bucks = pie-in-the sky deal.
Other than the two parties involved, no one knows what Martin and his agent have proposed to the Cowboys FO to secure his immediate future (= ending his career) with the team.
Martin hasn’t stated he wants another long term deal. The statements have simply been he believes he deserves to be a top 5 paid at his position.

Which means we could restructure his two years remaining. And could front load the increase in signing bonus which wouldn’t count against the Cap.

I’d like to hear from those fans who don’t believe Martin is still playing at a high level top 5 caliber in the league.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Was there ever a day when players took less to leave money to pay others. Everybody wants to get paid. We see brady take less but it didn’t spread through the NFL.
Most NFL players aren't married to a super model with a net worth approaching $400 million. Brady could afford that pay cut.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He took a very team friendly deal when he was healthy and the best LT in football.
Yes, and Martin hadn’t missed a game last couple years and still playing at an elite top 5 level.

Renegotiate his remaining two years. A short term contract making him a top 5 paid OL. Front load with a signing bonus which doesn’t hurt Cap.

Then Draft his replacement next year and be prepared to move on after 2024 so we don’t lose a critical piece in making a run to a SB the next couple years.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Most NFL players aren't married to a super model with a net worth approaching $400 million. Brady could afford that pay cut.
That could have been part of it. I think the bigger issue for Brady taking less is that Bill wouldn’t have paid it. And ultimately why Brady left.