Jerry on extending Prescott's contract now

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys Zone meltdown will be epic when Dak gets an extension.
Yea, you know the longer I’m in this forum the more I realize it doesn’t really represent or reflect Cowboys Nation which makes me question some members here on an anonymous site. There must be more infiltration than we realize . Either that or the minority voice is dominating the airwaves. Prob both.

Most Cowboy fans here locally while frustrated with this era realize that while Prescott isn’t Elite he isn’t our core issue preventing us from more success . As a matter of fact he’s part of why we are contenders. Unfortunately there are some better teams and or QB’s out there.

mardwin

Reaction score
He has to. He gets asked about it a lot.

I can't think of one legitimate reason why an extension couldn't be done right now. Nor any financial or cap related reason that it make more sense to wait.

I translate Jerry's comments to mean, "I'm not sure I want to tie up future resources on this player, at this time".

he was noncommittal, someone in the front office is telling Jerry that if he extends Dak either Lamb to Parsors will walk away.

mardwin

Reaction score
Yea, you know the longer I’m in this forum the more I realize it doesn’t really represent or reflect Cowboys Nation which makes me question some members here on an anonymous site. There must be more infiltration than we realize . Either that or the minority voice is dominating the airwaves. Prob both.

Most Cowboy fans here locally while frustrated with this era realize that while Prescott isn’t Elite he isn’t our core issue preventing us from more success . As a matter of fact he’s part of why we are contenders. Unfortunately there are some better teams and or QB’s out there.
Did they watch Dak against he Niners??? It was plenty obvious Dak was the reason the team got eliminated twice.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Jerry has a QB that is capable of winning with this team today, a quality short term back up QB, and a high potential raw prospect. It makes zero sense for Jerry to extend Dak right now unless the deal is very team friendly. Just let this season play out to see how Dak performs, and if Lance can progress. If Dak doesn't improve over last years performance and Lance shows he is capable you are set up to make a move at the QB position. Any other result than both of those things happening and Dak has total control over negotiations again and is going to get paid.

I know this topic is going to get brought up with every quote and probably every single game, but just stepping back and looking at the full picture I'm not sure that this is an overly complex issue.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Did they watch Dak against he Niners??? It was plenty obvious Dak was the reason the team got eliminated twice.
He wasn’t the only reason. Yes, he needs to have better performance on the bigger stages. The bigger point is do we get there without him.

We couldn’t run the ball and we couldn’t stop their running game.

I’d argue SF was the better team in both games . We knew they were a bad matchup.

shabazz

Reaction score
The Cowboys Zone meltdown will be epic when Dak gets an extension.
I’m not sure why? The odds on favorite is that he WILL extend him…..he almost always leaves himself without a viable option when it comes to Dakota other can merely caving in.

the one thing that will make it more palatable for Daks critics is for Dak to play well into the postseason and a Championship game. Im still here, so I have to have faith they can do it this time

JeffInDC

Reaction score
As someone that thinks Dak can actually be a STARTER for a SB winning franchise, I wholeheartedly agree with Jerry waiting this out. There's no need to extend him THIS season. CeeDee deserves to be extended before him...and, that's a cheaper deal. Dak needs to prove he can get this team further than it has been since '95. PERIOD!!!!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As someone that thinks Dak can actually be a STARTER for a SB winning franchise, I wholeheartedly agree with Jerry waiting this out. There's no need to extend him THIS season. CeeDee deserves to be extended before him...and, that's a cheaper deal. Dak needs to prove he can get this team further than it has been since '95. PERIOD!!!!!
That probably is what many fans and critics want to believe but this is what our owner is squashing.

Taking our team deeper is a hope not a mandate . And it’s a hope that Jethro can hype the hell out of . Actually getting there isn’t required .

Dak only needs to prove it to some fans , not our ownership. That’s a core differentiator.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
There is no real benefit to extending him now cap hit wise for 2023.

Any new deal would add the new prorated bonus to this year. Dallas has 8.9mil in cap space.
Prescott last contract got 66mil SB, which over 5 years(inlcuding 2023) his the additional cap hit would be 13.2mil.
And since then, contracts only have gone up.
Daks contract next year is a problem for the salary cap the way it's structured, that's why Jerry wants to get an extension done this year..

mardwin

Reaction score
He wasn’t the only reason. Yes, he needs to have better performance on the bigger stages. The bigger point is do we get there without him.

We couldn’t run the ball and we couldn’t stop their running game.

I’d argue SF was the better team in both games . We knew they were a bad matchup.
Dallas pays Dak $40M to overcome those types of teams. He hasn't elevated his game and the problem is that the team commits too many resources (money) on him, when they could potentially just spend it in other areas of the team.