Jerry on extending Prescott's contract now

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
There is no real benefit to extending him now cap hit wise for 2023.

Any new deal would add the new prorated bonus to this year. Dallas has 8.9mil in cap space.
Prescott last contract got 66mil SB, which over 5 years(inlcuding 2023) his the additional cap hit would be 13.2mil.
And since then, contracts only have gone up.
That's really what it comes down to. It would increase his cap hit this year while lowering it next year. I think Jerry would prefer to extend it next year when he's set to make $59 million. Even with a megadeal, the Cowboys can get the first-year hit lower than that, opening up some cap space.

With $8.9 million left in cap space this year, the Cowboys could technically extend him depend on how they spread the hits, but there's not any value in it capwise. The same might could be said about extending Lamb. They have him under contract next year with the fifth-year option, so they don't have to get a deal done to keep him, but they will want to get a deal done next offseason to lower that $18 million hit.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
I wonder how feasible it would be to just let Dak finish his contract by absorbing the 60 million cap hit in 2024. It doesn't sound feasible, unless all these other new contracts defer a lot of the salary to other years and leaves 2024 low. If the Cowboys win a Super Bowl this year or the next, then see what the numbers look like. Otherwise, I have a feeling that winning will have more to do with the defense.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Until he can learn to show up in big playoff games then doesn't need any kind of extension. He didn't show up opening game against Tampa either. Until he can learn how to be a more consistent player then he's really overpaid as it is.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Jerry has a QB that is capable of winning with this team today, a quality short term back up QB, and a high potential raw prospect. It makes zero sense for Jerry to extend Dak right now unless the deal is very team friendly. Just let this season play out to see how Dak performs, and if Lance can progress. If Dak doesn't improve over last years performance and Lance shows he is capable you are set up to make a move at the QB position. Any other result than both of those things happening and Dak has total control over negotiations again and is going to get paid.

I know this topic is going to get brought up with every quote and probably every single game, but just stepping back and looking at the full picture I'm not sure that this is an overly complex issue.
its really not, Dak will get extended/restructured next year like everyone already knew... nothing on the Dak front can change until after that happens anyway....even if he stinks the joint up this year he will get extended/restructured because they have to fix the cap hit before doing anything.

khiladi

Reaction score
Exactly...this year is pivotal,dak will never have a better team around him then he has right now..I wouldn't even think about an extension till the season is over and after seeing how far the team went..imo

His OL and RG, forcing defenses to play a certain way, was nowhere close to what he was playing with his first 3 years here now. It’s arguably an issue now, based upon what I’ve been reading with injuries and certain question marks about newer players. Skill positions and defensively, with Cooks and Gilmore addition, we are possibly better, but OL…

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry flat-out blamed QB play for the chest loss against the 49ers and said that it’s very difficult to get a group of players together to win, before getting drained through FA.

khiladi

Reaction score
And how did that work last time lol. Dak doesn't mind playing without a extension, he proved that 2 years in a row

He broke his leg after turning the ball over 7 times in 4 and a half games and Jerry was an idiot, giving him that contract with a no-trade clause. Dak didn’t prove anything other than Jerry was probably drunk…

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I’ve been saying since the end of last season, he’s not going to extend Dak until he sees how he plays this season.
That would be wise. Don't know if that's his reasoning or not, but that would be wise.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Our owner/GM has spoken -- NO means NO! Jerry is all-powerful, just in case you didn't know!! Like it or lump it . . . :bow::dance::huh:

Last edited:

Strykerscm

Reaction score
If we need to take a pulse on how serious this org is about winning, look no further than the amount of money and time the cows have put into radio.

bigE79

Reaction score
His OL and RG, forcing defenses to play a certain way, was nowhere close to what he was playing with his first 3 years here now. It’s arguably an issue now, based upon what I’ve been reading with injuries and certain question marks about newer players. Skill positions and defensively, with Cooks and Gilmore addition, we are possibly better, but OL…
I agree,but I look at what JB did with a much worse ol and still almost won the SB,I consider our ol much better so I don't think we can use that as an excuse,imo