Jerry on JG and the Eagles

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jerry hired Bill to get his new stadium it had nothing to do with attendance. He needed public (read political) muscle to get the deal done. Bill Parcells was a big part of that. But it was never related to current attendance. Even when the Cowboys were awful during those Campo years they were still in the top 5 of merchandise sales. It was about FUTURE attendance. Jerry was also willing to extend Parcells contract beyond the approval of a new stadium and site. Bill didn't have it in him anymore. The death of his brother played as much of a role in that as anything. Hiring Bill Parcells also had a positive effect on the roster and win percentage which Jones (regardless of what anyone wants to think) certainly relished in. Short of hiring Bellicheck, himself, it was the best hire that the guy could make at the time. It wasn't ALL about a stadium.

As to Will McClay, he was brought up when it was realized that a suitable replacement for Jeff Ireland was not found (mainly due to the fact that the coaches and scouts had little to no communication about what type of players the coaches actually coveted in the post Ireland regime). It was McClay that re-organized the scouting process thus bringing a more concerted effort between the two groups. McClay is no slouch in the scouting process, himself, and was the extra voice in the room when Jerry was talked out of Manziel and into Martin (who became an All-Pro in his rookie season). Hitting on some later round picks like Hitchens and UDFA (Barry Church) validated his work and thus giving him a stronger voice in the War Room. The fact that Stephen Jones attached McClay to his hip is what has helped Stephen gain more footing in the personnel department (as you alluded to). Stephen has always been involved in player acquisition, though. He and Jerry (famously) almost went to physical blows over the Deion Sanders deal.

Jones HAS adjusted his roster building philosophies over the past few years (mainly due to solid drafting) and has been rather silent in FA (relatively speaking) since the underwhelming Brandon Carr deal. Stephen has also had a pretty heavy hand in that department. I'm hoping that the team finds a happy medium in that regard and actually brings an impact player or two in FA but it is Jerry Jones we're talking about here, so I'm not holding my breath. Once he gets on a path (right or wrong) it's like steering the Titanic to change course. Slow and agonizing.

Off the top of my head...the wife, Ann, and I were seated in the Alamodome, right next to where Bill entered the stadium for his first practice with the Cowboys at Training Camp. We were seated in the new stadium for the very first football game played by the Cowboys in AT&T Stadium...Exhibition Game against the Titans.

The Stadium was financed, created, and played in during the modern age equivalent of the Depression...very tough economic conditions. But it was accomplished and with great style!

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I've never bought any Cowboy crap. My in-laws bought me a Cowboys jacket so fans of other teams could laugh at me. sad but true.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I already said I’d bet anybody that Garrett won’t be the coach in 2019. I’m quite confident in that. He’d have to get to a conf championship to keep his job and I highly doubt that happens
88 if you believe JJ is going to fire Garrett, you've got more confidence in Jerry than I do.
I hope you're right, but he should've got rid of him before now.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Any one see that clip where Jerry referred to Nick Foles first as Kevin Kolb and then Nick “Folk”. That’s our GM.

Saw the Philly media and then some fans say they couldn’t be more thankful he’s in charge in Dallas. Pretty much a laughingstock at this point.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JG forever no worthy coach will work for Jerry unless he wants to cash in as they say.....

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Jerry, I hate you. Share some of your Johnny Walker and I might reconsider.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Any one see that clip where Jerry referred to Nick Foles first as Kevin Kolb and then Nick “Folk”. That’s our GM.

Saw the Philly media and then some fans say they couldn’t be more thankful he’s in charge in Dallas. Pretty much a laughingstock at this point.

They weren't so thankful from 1992 to around 1997. But the Jerry ego was just getting kick started by then.

kskboys

Reaction score
Unlike many members of Cowboys Nation who are having a hard time stomaching the Eagles making it to the Super Bowl, Jones said he was impressed with Philly’s ability to win despite the injuries they sustained, including their starting quarterback Carson Wentz. “I’m impressed to understand the challenge it is to adjust and come up with a different way to use different personnel and win the games,” Jones said. “They did it and it’s worthy of recognition. I don’t want to get into favorites, but I’m really proud that we have an NFC East team in there. That does make the difference. We’ve played them twice and know what kind of defense they’ve got. I wish them well.”

And addressing Jason Garrett’s status, Jones was asked if his head coach is on the “hot seat” after a 9-7 season and missing the playoffs for the fifth time as a full-time head coach. Jones understood the question, but didn’t exactly agree. “He’s not on my hot seat,” he said. Jones reminded the group that Garrett isn’t far removed from the NFL Coach of the Year after the 2016 season and said he hopes Garrett can win that again next year, knowing what kind of team success that would signify.

Why didn't the media ask this followup question: Pederson in his 2nd season made it to the Super Bowl with injuries to key players. JG in 2016 with a fully healthy team couldn't even win one playoff game. How is JG winning Coach of the Year relevant when he couldn't even win one playoff game as the number one seed with a healthy team?

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2018/01/23/jerry-addresses-many-hot-topics-dez-coaches-garrett’s-“hot-seat”
If you're a guy, never say "He's not on my hot seat"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Must be nice to be someone like JG or Marvin Lewis suck at your job but the boss keeps rewarding you.

I wish awards were voted on after the conference championship games. If that happened no way JG has an award.