Jerry open to trading down

starfan1

Reaction score
Ehh.....I mean from what i've seen they handle their boards based on "grades" so yes they'd probably look at your approach and use their grades to determine they can get the same caliber of player by trading down.

But this is also the same team that considered Watt and Charlton as the same caliber. Now I don't knock them for passing up Watt because it was a mistake they made but mistakes happen.

But this is the part of the draft I don't get because yes while two guys can have the same grade all players aren't equal. Like Devonta Smith and Micah Parsons probably were considered similar prospects but I would not trade away from Micah. I would trade away from Devonta. It just depends on what i'm trading away from.
Thursday should prove to be interesting

MikeT22

Reaction score
From what i've seen when this happens is teams trade down away from talent and do it in favor of a 3rd or 4th rounder who will be off the team in a few years. It sounds great in theory....I can trade down and get an extra pick and I can get 3 or 4 starters next seasons. But its not realistic and rarely happens that way.
True, especially with our front office. The 2021 draft you mentioned, not only did we have 3 3rd round picks we had a total of 7 picks in the first 4 rounds.

Micah, K Joseph, Osa, Gholston, Nashon, J Cox, Josh Ball.

After Micah, we had 6 picks in rounds 2-4 and only partially hit on Osa.

On the flip side, the 49ers have starters like Warner 3rd, Greenlaw 5th, Kittle 5th, Juan Jennings 7th… and that’s just off the top of my head. It’s why they stockpile comp picks and hire minority coaches/execs, so they can get 2 3rds when one gets hired away.

rambo2

Reaction score
But you have no idea who will be there when they pick. Lamb fell to the Cowboys. Its impossible to say who will be there right now. Never trade away from talent.
I do have an idea. They want a center and there are 3 of them in the top 37. Multiple teams will be interested in taking a receiver and there will be some good ones on the board at 24.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
more like 18-22 players available with first round grades, other teams might have 24 players that they grade at a first round selection, no team has the same value on players.......If you have four players still available at 24 you value as a first round grade, and you can move back and still get one of those players, you do it, Dallas doesn't have a fourth round pick....Well, that's exactly what happened with Micah Parsons, Dallas traded back two spots and still got Parsons and another draft pick.....Travis Fredericks was a trade back and got a third round selection...Dallas has many holes to fill, 2OL, rb, DT, CB, S, 2 LB's, so to fill those holes, you might be presented with a trade deal you can't pass up because you need so many positions and not a lot of picks.
Its never been 18-22....according to Stephen Jones....

2022 Cowboys had 14-16 players with first round grades.
2023 they had 15-18 first round grades

I know that's what happened with Micah that's why I said i'm in favor of that. They knew Eagles and Giants wanted receivers so I get the trade down and still get their guy. But trading back 2 spots is not what's being discussed. If they got a 3rd rounder for dropping all the way back to the back of the draft from 18......to get a 4th from 24 tells me you must be trading out of the 1st. That's far riskier. The same guys at 24 won't be there in the 2nd round. It will be a different caliber of player.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
True, especially with our front office. The 2021 draft you mentioned, not only did we have 3 3rd round picks we had a total of 7 picks in the first 4 rounds.

On the flip side, the 49ers have starters like Warner 3rd, Greenlaw 5th, Kittle 5th, Juan Jennings 7th… and that’s just off the top of my head. It’s why they stockpile comp picks and hire minority coaches/execs, so they can get 2 3rds when one gets hired away.
EXACTLY. Not having a 4th round pick is not ideal but its not what people are making it out to be. Hell even this team they have found guys in the 5th and 6th round...no reason to do something stupid just so you can say you had a 4th rounder. And hell in hindsight they should've packaged those 3rd rounders and traded up or for a veteran.

49ers don't seem to be worth a damn in the 1st but my goodness they sure snagged some talent in those rounds....it allows you to miss on a Trey Lance when your whole All Pro linebacker core are 3rd and 5th round picks lol.

starfan1

Reaction score

True can’t argue that . Maybe jimmy can help out this year

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Its never been 18-22....according to Stephen Jones....

2022 Cowboys had 14-16 players with first round grades.
2023 they had 15-18 first round grades

I know that's what happened with Micah that's why I said i'm in favor of that. They knew Eagles and Giants wanted receivers so I get the trade down and still get their guy. But trading back 2 spots is not what's being discussed. If they got a 3rd rounder for dropping all the way back to the back of the draft from 18......to get a 4th from 24 tells me you must be trading out of the 1st. That's far riskier. The same guys at 24 won't be there in the 2nd round. It will be a different caliber of player.
Again, how many first round grades the cowboys have on players s not the same as other teams have....And you don't need to move out of the first round to acquire a fourth round selection..see Travis Frederick..two things I know, they're not moving up and they're not selecting a QB...more than likely, an OT or a Center

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Again, how many first round grades the cowboys have on players s not the same as other teams have....And you don't need to move out of the first round to acquire a fourth round selection..see Travis Frederick..two things I know, they're not moving up and they're not selecting a QB...more than likely, an OT or a Center
I'm confused by what your first statement means? You're saying they have less 1st round grades than other teams?

So the draft chart says Cowboys pick is worth 740...let's say they get the 1st pick in the 2nd round....its worth 580.....Carolina 3rd rounder is 265 points....so we'd have to settle for their 4th rounder and according to the chart its a bad trade....

Sydla

Reaction score
Doesn't it seem like that this draft does set up well for a trade down?
I think I've said this like 5 times in the last decade.

Jerry just needs to hear himself talk and pontificate about the draft. I have no idea what we will do but Jerry saying he's open to a trade down is such an obvious statement. Of course he's open to a trade down in the right deal......... as are the 31 other teams in the NFL if the deal is good.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I'm confused by what your first statement means? You're saying they have less 1st round grades than other teams?

So the draft chart says Cowboys pick is worth 740...let's say they get the 1st pick in the 2nd round....its worth 580.....Carolina 3rd rounder is 265 points....so we'd have to settle for their 4th rounder and according to the chart its a bad trade....
Every team grades players differently, Cowboys could have 16 first round grades, Raiders might have 20 first round grades, Ravens might have 18, each team evaluates players differently....you think Tom Brady is really a sixth round value or Dak a fourth round grade value today.....CeeDee fell into the Cowboys lap, they didn't even bring him in for a workout because they thought there was zero chance he'd be there when they selected at 17.....teams might want to come up for a receiver or a corner, if Dallas has four offensive linemen graded as a first round selections still on the board, then you can move back and still get one of those linemen, OT or C......

rambo2

Reaction score
I think I've said this like 5 times in the last decade.

Jerry just needs to hear himself talk and pontificate about the draft. I have no idea what we will do but Jerry saying he's open to a trade down is such an obvious statement. Of course he's open to a trade down in the right deal......... as are the 31 other teams in the NFL if the deal is good.
I wouldn't pay any attention to Jerry. This draft does seem to fit well for a Cowboys trade down. It seems to fit their needs.

starfan1

Reaction score
Help with what? Supplying Heineken?
Na Jerry already got Johnny Walker ? What’s jimmys title consultant? Nvmd he’s on the advisory board maybe he can advise in the right direction