Jerry open to trading down

rambo2

Reaction score
I don't take the risk. I don't like the idea of "Well I have all these guys graded out the same" mantra they do this time of the year. This is how we ended up with Julius Jones instead of Stephen Jackson. This is how we end up with Taco Chartlon and not JJ Watt. I don't agree with it. Because no one can sit here and tell me the same player that is available at 24 will be available in the 2nd round. Its not the same caliber of player I know their board stell them there's only 14 1st round graded guys but I Just don't agree with that.
This how is they ended up with Travis Frederick and they could end up with Zach Frazier this year and whatever they get in trade.

Creeper

Reaction score
It depends on what they get to move down, but considering last year's draft, they cannot mess around this year. They need guys who can take the field week 1 and contribute in 2024. They are net getting those guys by trading down for 3rd and 4th round picks. They may be guys who take the field, but not guys who will play well out of the gate. If there is a starting caliber player at 24, take him and move on to round 2. Then do the same thing. It is imperative they get at least 2 starters out of this draft. Look how many needs they have. Hoping to build a winning with a bunch of day 3 picks is the same strategy they use in free agency - pick up a bunch of castoffs from other teams.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This how is they ended up with Travis Frederick and they could end up with Zach Frazier this year and whatever they get in trade.
It worked with Frederick but it was a risky move that wasn't necessary. But even then they could afford to take that risk because they wanted Frederick and they knew no one would draft him in the 1st. A lot of boards had him with a 3rd round grade. But to put things in perspective they risked trading down and getting him to net a 3rd round pick that gave them....T-Will. I'm not trading down just so I can get a T-Will or a Chauncey Golston or a Nashon Wright or a Victor Butler....

rambo2

Reaction score
It worked with Frederick but it was a risky move that wasn't necessary. But even then they could afford to take that risk because they wanted Frederick and they knew no one would draft him in the 1st. A lot of boards had him with a 3rd round grade. But to put things in perspective they risked trading down and getting him to net a 3rd round pick that gave them....T-Will. I'm not trading down just so I can get a T-Will or a Chauncey Golston or a Nashon Wright or a Victor Butler....
There are plenty of good players that they can get. They can get a center with a trade back and with the extra pick get a receiver, or running back, or dtackle, or a linebacker. All of which they need. The draft is loaded with good players. Some will fall.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There are plenty of good players that they can get. They can get a center with a trade back and with the extra pick get a receiver, or running back, or dtackle, or a linebacker. All of which they need. The draft is loaded with good players. Some will fall.
This is just now hot the draft works lol...in a perfect world yes we trade back and get 5 starters....but it just never works that way.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
That's moronic to me. Why would you trade down and get a lesser player just to get a 4th round pick who probably will bust? It doesn't make sense.

Dallas doesn't need more picks they need to go out and fill holes via free agency. Their 1st round pick couldn't even start last year why on earth would they think a 4th rounder will?
Those four players available would be first round grades on the Cowboys board, if you can move down four spots in a trade and pick up a fourth round selection and still get one of them, that's how you build a team!! There's not a lot of players available and would cost you more in free agency than a drafted player

plymkr

Reaction score
I’m good with trading down. We need quantity right now since we stubbornly ignore FA.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’m good with trading down. We need quantity right now since we stubbornly ignore FA.
Quantity doesn't necesarilly mean quality.....we are not that removed from drafting Nashon Wright, Chauncey Golston and Odi in the 3rd round....glad we got Odigizuwha in the 3rd having 3 3rd rounders isn't all its cracked up to be if you hit 1 out of 3.

starfan1

Reaction score
He’s not trading down…makes no sense to. Draft bpa don’t make this any harder than it has to be….you are not some draft wizard….
I actually hope they do drop a few spots . I think the draft and the positions they need line up ideal for it

That said you need a dance partner and acc vs willing gm/ owner

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Those four players available would be first round grades on the Cowboys board, if you can move down four spots in a trade and pick up a fourth round selection and still get one of them, that's how you build a team!! There's not a lot of players available and would cost you more in free agency than a drafted player
Cowboys typically only have about 12 or 13 guys on their board that are worthy of 1st round grades. Its never 24 or anything close to 20.

Trading away from talent is not how you build a team especially in favor of a 4th round pick.

Now in a perfect world you tell me you want Micah Parsons and you can trade down and still get Micah Parsons? I'm all for that. I'd never knock them for that approach. But if you want to trade away from Stephen Jackson because you think he and Julius Jones are of the same caliber? I have a issue with that type of approach especially when you move completely out of the 1st round to do it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I actually hope they do drop a few spots . I think the draft and the positions they need line up ideal for it

From what i've seen when this happens is teams trade down away from talent and do it in favor of a 3rd or 4th rounder who will be off the team in a few years. It sounds great in theory....I can trade down and get a extra pick and I can get 3 or 4 starters next seasons. But its not realistic and rarely happens that way.

starfan1

Reaction score
From what i've seen when this happens is teams trade down away from talent and do it in favor of a 3rd or 4th rounder who will be off the team in a few years. It sounds great in theory....I can trade down and get a extra pick and I can get 3 or 4 starters next seasons. But its not realistic and rarely happens that way.
I get that but say your close to being on the clock and multiple of your guys on your board are available and someone calls and you only need to drop a handful of spots to pick up a late 3rd or 4th

We need OL at 2 spots, LB at 1, RB ( which you can get in 3rd and possibly DT and WR

I don’t think you lose out on quality if your only dropping a few

rambo2

Reaction score
Quantity doesn't necesarilly mean quality.....we are not that removed from drafting Nashon Wright, Chauncey Golston and Odi in the 3rd round....glad we got Odigizuwha in the 3rd having 3 3rd rounders isn't all its cracked up to be if you hit 1 out of 3.
This draft sets up well for a trade back.

rambo2

Reaction score

The center position lines up well and linebacker .

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I get that but say your close to being on the clock and multiple of your guys on your board are available and someone calls and you only need to drop a handful of spots to pick up a late 3rd or 4th

We need OL at 2 spots, LB at 1, RB ( which you can get in 3rd and possibly DT and WR

I don’t think you lose out on quality if your only dropping a few
Ehh.....I mean from what i've seen they handle their boards based on "grades" so yes they'd probably look at your approach and use their grades to determine they can get the same caliber of player by trading down.

But this is also the same team that considered Watt and Charlton as the same caliber. Now I don't knock them for passing up Watt because it was a mistake they made but mistakes happen.

But this is the part of the draft I don't get because yes while two guys can have the same grade all players aren't equal. Like Devonta Smith and Micah Parsons probably were considered similar prospects but I would not trade away from Micah. I would trade away from Devonta. It just depends on what i'm trading away from.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Cowboys typically only have about 12 or 13 guys on their board that are worthy of 1st round grades. Its never 24 or anything close to 20.

Trading away from talent is not how you build a team especially in favor of a 4th round pick.

Now in a perfect world you tell me you want Micah Parsons and you can trade down and still get Micah Parsons? I'm all for that. I'd never knock them for that approach. But if you want to trade away from Stephen Jackson because you think he and Julius Jones are of the same caliber? I have a issue with that type of approach especially when you move completely out of the 1st round to do it.
more like 18-22 players available with first round grades, other teams might have 24 players that they grade at a first round selection, no team has the same value on players.......If you have four players still available at 24 you value as a first round grade, and you can move back and still get one of those players, you do it, Dallas doesn't have a fourth round pick....Well, that's exactly what happened with Micah Parsons, Dallas traded back two spots and still got Parsons and another draft pick.....Travis Fredericks was a trade back and got a third round selection...Dallas has many holes to fill, 2OL, rb, DT, CB, S, 2 LB's, so to fill those holes, you might be presented with a trade deal you can't pass up because you need so many positions and not a lot of picks.