Jerry, please do not sign AP

crazytown41

Reaction score
AD came back from a torn ACL in less than a year and immediately dominated the league again. Dude is a genetic freak.

Romo aint getting any younger and healthier. This a 2-3yr window to win a SB with this current group

Bring this kid home where he belongs....:cool:

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
A different animal? Check the utube vid below in Nov 2013.
Murray did it (looked "great" in 1 year only) with exceptional support. I believe the supporting cast Murray had last year was better support than anything AP has had in the way of support his (AP) entire career. Just my opinion.
I'm not saying Murray is bad however I just don't believe he's not in the same category as AP.
You seem to think a year out of the league has washed AP all washed up and old. We both have no idea but I would love to find out. And yes if he is washed out, I think DC can find a replacement who is applicable to Murray in the draft or FA without downgrading the offense overall. It's a risk I'm not usually willing to take however, AP is a beast.
I also get the age factor, however we have a very short window with QB play. I say roll the dice.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=doJfrDbzm8Q

Stats are stats.
Murrays average per carry. 4.8
Ap's 5

Receiving
Murray 7
AP 8.2

Murray has never been lower than 4.1 a season including having crap for a line until this season and we didn't feature running until this season.
AP had one out standing year at 6 yards average back in 2012. That's great but that's 2012.
So in reality minus one great year by AP his average is about the same as Murrays. I don't see that as freakish.

AP has been great, beastly? No I don't see it. Murray simply isn't that far off.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
Stats are Murrays average per carry. 4.8
Ap's 5

Receiving
Murray 7
AP 8.2

Murray has never been lower than 4.1 a season including having crap for a line until this season and we didn't feature running until this season.
AP had one out standing year at 6 yards average back in 2012. That's great but that's 2012.
So in reality minus one great year by AP his average is about the same as Murrays. I don't see that as freakish.

AP has been great, beastly? No I don't see it. Murray simply isn't that far off.

Yes, but Murray had great players around him.
Peterson was the only weapon they had.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Adrian Peterson > Demarco Murray

but here's the crazy thing...because of circumstances...

Adrian Peterson's 2015 salary with Cowboys < Demarco Murray's 2016 salary with Cowboys

Better and cheaper? Yes every time.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Yes, but Murray had great players around him.
Peterson was the only weapon they had.

Oh lord. 2013 our Oline was getting Romo killed
We couldn't run the ball.
Does it matter if the lord himself is on your team if it don't function?
With all that talent we were 8-8. We didn't address the defense added Oline and RAN the ball. 12-4

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
Oh lord. 2013 our Oline was getting Romo killed
We couldn't run the ball.
Does it matter if the lord himself is on your team if it don't function?
With all that talent we were 8-8. We didn't address the defense added Oline and RAN the ball. 12-4

We couldn't run the ball because Murray was hurt all the time. I am just sayin that Peterson put up those numbers with an average line in front of him.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
We couldn't run the ball because Murray was hurt all the time. I am just sayin that Peterson put up those numbers with an average line in front of him.

So did Murray until last season and look what he did with the box stacked against him. We couldn't run the ball in the past because the Oline wasn't complete.
AP on this team we have now, a few years younger I would be all for. But to say he's the same player he was, is a chance I'd rather pass on.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

In 2013 Peterson was 5th in Rushing Yards and 4th in TDs

Peterson played in 14 games for MINN

Murray only had 140 less yards and 1 less TD than Peterson with 60 less carries.

All things being equal Murray had a better year

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
So did Murray until last season and look what he did with the box stacked against him. We couldn't run the ball in the past because the Oline wasn't complete.
AP on this team we have now, a few years younger I would be all for. But to say he's the same player he was, is a chance I'd rather pass on.

Murray had a great year, I will give him that.
If we sign him, lets hope he stays healthy because we need that kind of production to be sucessfull.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I hope JG has a strong voice though. Not just for this but how the team is built overall.

I am sure he does and I am sure they have strategy, but the one good thing about a HC being just the HC and not FO person like some coaches want it allows you to be more vocal to media but ultimately not being held responsible if the FO decides to go a different direction. I am sure JG is genuine but the players know that when it comes down to it his opinion means very little when it comes negotiation time.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In 2013 Peterson was 5th in Rushing Yards and 4th in TDs

Peterson played in 14 games for MINN

Murray only had 140 less yards and 1 less TD than Peterson with 60 less carries.

All things being equal Murray had a better year

You have to look more closely than that. They weren't running against the same fronts.

Peterson is a straight beast. He's a better player than Murray by a fair margin as far as I'm concerned.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was half kidding about Tony and Witten.;) I just don't see adding age to an aged group as effective. If it's so easy to plug in a back our scouts must really have sucked between Emmitt and Murray. Or should I say since Emmitt. Because Murray is the best since and according to some he's not worth having back. I guess rolling with a freak is the way to go. If he still a freak.

Murray in 2014 I'd be all over. I don't think that's on the table, though. I think whoever signs him gets 85% o the player he was last year, and it's diminishing. Assuming he stays in the lineup all year and is not hurt.

I don't really feel like we've had a dearth of good RBs in Dallas recently. Some of them, like Marion Barber, were actually pretty dang good. Either way, I don't worry about the quality of a RB all that much as long as he can pass protect fairly well. Peterson's an exception for me, because I think he's a guy who changes how defenses have to defend you. Murray did that a bit later in the year last year, and you saw the passing game take off, but that's the first I"ve seen him do it in his time here, and I think it was a combination of him and the OL. Peterson, on the other hand, has done it for years in MIN without quite as talented a line (though theirs is pretty dang good, too). He's also pretty dang good at running into run fronts and still being productive. Only you won't be able to play those exclusively in Dallas because our passing game will kill you if you do.

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
We are one of the few teams "realistically" thinking winning it all this year. What will help us win the Super Bowl THIS year. Is AP an upgrade over Murray? I think AP would upgrade every RB position in the league. If we can get him and not spend too much we should get him. He is a much better player than Murray and Murray is on par with most of the league. AP would be a deadly weapon back there and a threat to score at any time. Murray is good but he's doesn't scare teams like AP. IMO, everyone on Offense looks and plays better with Peterson. We would be loaded and DC's would have their hands full........

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Murray in 2014 I'd be all over. I don't think that's on the table, though. I think whoever signs him gets 85% o the player he was last year, and it's diminishing. Assuming he stays in the lineup all year and is not hurt.

I don't really feel like we've had a dearth of good RBs in Dallas recently. Some of them, like Marion Barber, were actually pretty dang good. Either way, I don't worry about the quality of a RB all that much as long as he can pass protect fairly well. Peterson's an exception for me, because I think he's a guy who changes how defenses have to defend you. Murray did that a bit later in the year last year, and you saw the passing game take off, but that's the first I"ve seen him do it in his time here, and I think it was a combination of him and the OL. Peterson, on the other hand, has done it for years in MIN without quite as talented a line (though theirs is pretty dang good, too). He's also pretty dang good at running into run fronts and still being productive. Only you won't be able to play those exclusively in Dallas because our passing game will kill you if you do.

I have to say looking at stats and yes stats don't tell you every thing, They are not far apart. As bkight said, we don't even know if Murray has peaked. We put a great offense together and Murray took it and ran with it. We don't know if that was a one year wonder or if the arrow is pointing up. I'm stuck on the age factor of AP. Maybe Murray stays a beast for three more years. For me to like signing AP he would have to be really cheap.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
yup if we can get AP for a deal, at a discount, than im all for it. i could care less who is back there so as long as they are a good back and we get someone that can give defenses fits and we can beat those daym zebras and take them out of being a factor.

anyone that can takes us to the SB is who i want. i liked what someone said earlier "Imagine having a back who doesn't look like he was shot with a tranquilizer dart every time he breaks into the open field."

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
yup if we can get AP for a deal, at a discount, than im all for it. i could care less who is back there so as long as they are a good back and we get someone that can give defenses fits and we can beat those daym zebras and take them out of being a factor.

anyone that can takes us to the SB is who i want. i liked what someone said earlier "Imagine having a back who doesn't look like he was shot with a tranquilizer dart every time he breaks into the open field."

Better hope we upgrade the defense big time quickly. The more they are on the field the worse it gets for Dallas.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
Better hope we upgrade the defense big time quickly. The more they are on the field the worse it gets for Dallas.

true that. this is the numero uno concern for us. thats why we shouldnt break the bank to sign murray, dez yes, ap only at a discount.

Frozen700

Reaction score
I don't get the number of fans salivating about the prospects of signing Peterson. That would mean we gaffed off Murray who is younger and home grown. How do you think the rest of the team is going to perceive that? I don't think very favorably. It would be a typical Jerry move from years past. I hope he's still past that kind of reckless behavior and doesn't fall back on his clueless fan like actions of the past.

Great thing Jerry does not read these threads.