Jerry, please do not sign AP

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Murray had the best season. He wasn't/isn't the best RB in football.

Come on man you have to understand the difference.

It's all about being the right tool for the job.

Saying Murray wasn't the best RB is like saying Antonio Brown isn't the best WR even though he led the League in catches and yards.

Who is better? McCoy, Charles, Foster, Bell, Lacy, Lynch(maybe), Forte, Peterson(not any more)

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It's all about being the right tool for the job.

Saying Murray wasn't the best RB is like saying Antonio Brown isn't the best WR even though he led the League in catches and yards.

Who is better? McCoy, Charles, Foster, Bell, Lacy, Lynch(maybe), Forte, Peterson(not any more)

All those guys listed are more talented than Murray.

And Brown isn't the best WR in football.

Was this test supposed to be hard?!?

DenCWBY

Reaction score
He was the best THIS season by 500 yards......sheez

More attempts. By average he wasn't the best back on the team. I admit he's better than randle but he's not the best running back in the league. Not top 3 for sure and prob not top 5.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Stats are stats.
Murrays average per carry. 4.8
Ap's 5

Receiving
Murray 7
AP 8.2

Murray has never been lower than 4.1 a season including having crap for a line until this season and we didn't feature running until this season.
AP had one out standing year at 6 yards average back in 2012. That's great but that's 2012.
So in reality minus one great year by AP his average is about the same as Murrays. I don't see that as freakish.

AP has been great, beastly? No I don't see it. Murray simply isn't that far off.

Ok "great, freakish" yes or no. whatever. We'll respectfully disagree. I hope we have the opportunity to see it happen.
I just think he could take us over the top better than any available back in the league right now and now is the time.
Yes one of the main things is not to overpay either back and build the defense.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I don't get the number of fans salivating about the prospects of signing Peterson. That would mean we gaffed off Murray who is younger and home grown. How do you think the rest of the team is going to perceive that? I don't think very favorably. It would be a typical Jerry move from years past. I hope he's still past that kind of reckless behavior and doesn't fall back on his clueless fan like actions of the past.

I'm not very worried about how the locker room would accept AP after letting Murray go. They are pros and are all very aware of how good AP was/may be here. I'm more concerned with giving a 30 year old RB any sort of decent investment for the next 3-4 years and expecting him to return to form.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I think you're proceeding from a false assumption.

Why are you assuming that the Cowboys would 'let Murray go'?

What if the Colts offer him $7 million a year? Would you want to pay that or wish him good luck? I know my answer!

And cue the thread closer because here it is.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
I hope JG has a strong voice though. Not just for this but how the team is built overall.

JG does have a vote and JJ said from the get go that no player will be in the roster if JG does not want him. This is building to be a similar situation to last year's draft when JM was available at our pick...

:cool:

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
If AP helps us win, the players won't care. In fact, most of them know it's a business.

I'm not going to worry about this. The way I see it, in any scenario, the Cowboys emerge smelling like roses. Why?

1. We sign Murray, we maintain continuity.
2. We sign AP, we'll be getting a determined back with something to prove and a back who is better than Murray.
3. We sign neither, we search for a back in the open market. Mark Ingram, whom Jason Garrett wanted when he came out, is available. We sign a hungry Ingram, who is finally healthy, relatively speaking, of course, for a running back.
4. We sign neither Murray, AP or Ingram and possible grab Todd Gurley or Melvin Gordon in the draft, and they step in and our running game doesn't lose a beat.
5. We sign a FA (Ingram) then select another of the available backs in the draft (Johnson, Yeldon, Abdullah, Coleman) not named Gurley or Gordon.

I'm really not worried about the running back position, especially with this line. The defensive line? Very worried. Running back? Nope.

My thoughts exactly.

Not saying that all RB's are created equal -- just that relative value is easily addressed at this position because of the investment in the OL.

We do need one more OL stud, though; the best on our board (BOOB) might just be that in the first or second round.

Gotta sign a FA DL difference-maker so that we can let the draft come to us.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
What's better a 1000 Rushing Yards or 10 Sacks?

I'd rather rephrase the question. Which is easier to find: A 1,000 rusher or a 10-sack defense lineman?

That's really the issue. We can find a 1,000 rusher. They're plenteous. A 10-sack defensive lineman is harder to find.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think you're proceeding from a false assumption.

Why are you assuming that the Cowboys would 'let Murray go'?

What if the Colts offer him $7 million a year? Would you want to pay that or wish him good luck? I know my answer!

I wouldn't pay him more than 4.5 mil. RB's aren't worth what they use to be. WR's either for that matter.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't pay him more than 4.5 mil. RB's aren't worth what they use to be. WR's either for that matter.

I would go as high as $5 million per year on Peterson. I think the Colts will pay Murray more than that.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Murray or a draft pick if he wants more than 4.5 mil.

$4.5M is my number for Murray, as well.

I'd go as high as $7M/year for Peterson, but I'd want to go virtually year-to-year. Failing those two options, I'd just as soon take a guy from round 2 on down and let him and Williams and Randle sort it out.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Get real mens and womans: Aside from re-signing Dez and Murray, OFFENSE IS NOT AN AREA WE SHOULD BE FOCUSING ON THAT MUSH!
aside from resigning those two mens, our offense should not be fixed.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
I would go as high as $5 million per year on Peterson. I think the Colts will pay Murray more than that.

I'd go 6mil for Murray with a few considerations. Try and keep the same player locked up for a few years with an out.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Get real mens and womans: Aside from re-signing Dez and Murray, OFFENSE IS NOT AN AREA WE SHOULD BE FOCUSING ON THAT MUSH!
aside from resigning those two mens, our offense should not be fixed.

I don't think any one is going to argue that, just the name of the RB.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
I don't get the number of fans salivating about the prospects of signing Peterson. That would mean we gaffed off Murray who is younger and home grown. How do you think the rest of the team is going to perceive that? I don't think very favorably. It would be a typical Jerry move from years past. I hope he's still past that kind of reckless behavior and doesn't fall back on his clueless fan like actions of the past.

On the other side of the coin Tyron Smith is already contracted to end his career as a Cowboy. Jerry takes care of his own but it is more of a football business move than in spite. These are MEN. feelings get hurt but as much as they are in it for one another they are also individuals in a great position to have a job they enjoy playing and make tons of money while at it. No way they throw it away just because their "BFF" isn't signed.