Jerry, please don't let us down...Draft a QB first!!!!!

waving monkey

Reaction score
Romo will get injured again. So who cares of the so called talent they surround him with (from the draft). It still won't be enough to get us into the playoffs.

Romo will get injured again

that is a constant that can be relied on.
the nay Sayers want to go after a veteran QB to bring in some wins
to get us to the promise land , good luck with that

waving monkey

Reaction score
If we are dumping Romo and drafting a new starter, then I am with you

If you hope this new qb doesn't see the field for several years, as I do, then I don't like the idea of using #4 on him. Perhaps a trade back or grab one later.

I certainly hope the new guy sees limited time on the field as Romo winds down the clock
get the best QB possible [as judged by the scouts evaluations] the 1st round is a small cost

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
We have the highest pick we've had in many, many years. We have an aging QB who has a couple years left if that. We are in need of the most important position on the field. I don't care if we have to move up...GET THE BEST QB THIS YEAR! I know this has been discussed in numerous threads but I'm hearing and reading in different places that we may not pick a QB first. I understand that we may bring in Johnny or RGIII but something tells me this may satisfy the coaches and not put QB as priority #1 in the draft. Neither of these guys are a franchise QB although they can play but the way they play, even if they are good enough, they won't last with their playing style. I do know that if we do draft the best QB in the draft its still a risk because you just never know if the guy will be any good but you have to roll with it and put yourself out there. The bigger the risk, the bigger the reward really doesn't apply here but u have to give it a shot. Please draft a QB first Jerry. I'm tired of hearing that this crop of QB's are not that good? This is bull especially with how hit and miss the scouts are these days. They just don't know. Get whoever is considered the best and go from there...........Its all you can do and if it doesn't work out at least you tried, which is more than Jerry has been doing with these long shots since Aikman..unless ur talking Romo.....I know many will disagree but I don't care. Its our turn to pick a QB high. Just do it!!!

Goff is the highest rated QB in the draft at #17 of the best players available. Picking him at #4 would be a reach when we desperately need to upgrade other positions.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
So for everybody saying no to taking a QB, what is your plan then?

Or is the plan to hope Romo doesn't get hurt or else we lose every game?

Hope is not a strategy, draft the dam QB.

The plan is first HOPE. Just like the team may be thinking.

The other "plan" is either Robert Griffin or Johnny Manziel. Those are the two QBs that Jones will be intrigued by. I don't want to hear otherwise, because basically if you are endorsing no drafted QB, you are essentially endorsing the madness of acquiring either of these two horror shows.

Don't throw out names like Kaepernick, Osweiler, Fitzpatrick etc. They are not going to be available. Other teams need QBs as well.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Get a veteran backup. A drafted QB isn't going to be effective coming off the bench in his first year. Now if there was a Troy Aikman out there then I would reconsider but it doesn't appear there is.

Alexander

Reaction score
Goff is the highest rated QB in the draft at #17 of the best players available. Picking him at #4 would be a reach when we desperately need to upgrade other positions.

Based off the results of last season, what position is more "desperate" than backup QB?

Is a defensive back going to save the season if Romo misses games? Will Free's replacement make a difference if he is blocking for whatever slob we have backing up Romo?

It amazes me that the resolute thoughts from both Joneses after the season immediately ended was that the backup QB position was paramount, yet now they have settled right back into the idea that Romo will be back to save the day. Three years. Minimum. And it is not a damn debate.

Alexander

Reaction score
Get a veteran backup. A drafted QB isn't going to be effective coming off the bench in his first year. Now if there was a Troy Aikman out there then I would reconsider but it doesn't appear there is.

Who? Name them.

I keep looking for a Steve Beuerlein out there in the free agent group and gosh darn it there does not appear to be one of those either.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

They have no plan. They just want to *******ize the draft and treat it like veteran free agency. They have no vision, no foresight, they only care about rightnow!!, not building for the future.

I flush any and all comments like that. What they are essentially telling me is "I don't understand the NFL Draft". So I move on to somebody who does.

Mark my words, the same geniuses scoffing at a QB at 4 will be whining like little girls when the Cowboys have nothing at the position and that day could be right around the corner.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Who? Name them.

I keep looking for a Steve Beuerlein out there in the free agent group and gosh darn it there does not appear to be one of those either.

Colt McCoy, Matt Moore, Osweiler, Vick or Bradford just to name a few.

Alexander

Reaction score
Colt McCoy, Matt Moore, Osweiler, Vick or Bradford just to name a few.

Bradford is asking for a mint and will want to start. Osweiler is not going to leave Denver with Manning's looming retirement.

So your "plan" is Colt McCoy, Matt Moore or Michael Vick.

giphy.gif

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Bradford is asking for a mint and will want to start. Osweiler is not going to leave Denver with Manning's looming retirement.

So your "plan" is Colt McCoy, Matt Moore or Michael Vick.

giphy.gif

You don't know that but yes, one of those I mentioned. I'm not a expert on personnel so there may be others as well. I'm not totally opposed to taking a QB at #4 as long as the talent guys feel he's franchise quality. Our defense needs a lot of help though and there are some studs that will be available. Maybe Stephen can pull off a small trade down and get both. We also are going to have some comp picks that could be used in a trade up. Lots of options the Boys will have. Going to be a real test to see if the FO is truly committed to doing things the right way.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't know that but yes, one of those I mentioned. I'm not a expert on personnel so there may be others as well. I'm not totally opposed to taking a QB at #4 as long as the talent guys feel he's franchise quality. Our defense needs a lot of help though and there are some studs that will be available. Maybe Stephen can pull off a small trade down and get both. We also are going to have some comp picks that could be used in a trade up. Lots of options the Boys will have. Going to be a real test to see if the FO is truly committed to doing things the right way.

Comp picks can't be traded this year.

Alexander

Reaction score
Going to be a real test to see if the FO is truly committed to doing things the right way.

You are correct on that. And part of the "right way" will be preparing for the future while at the same time ensuring losing Romo for part of the season does not ruin it.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well that excites me for the future.

This would be for the short term. I just think the team is closer to having a championship team than the haters. Again, if the Cowboys feel Wentz or one of the other QB's are franchise quality then get him. I have no clue and neither do you or anyone else here. Unless we have some lurkers.