Jerry, please don't let us down...Draft a QB first!!!!!

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This would be for the short term. I just think the team is closer to having a championship team than the haters. Again, if the Cowboys feel Wentz or one of the other QB's are franchise quality then get him. I have no clue and neither do you or anyone else here. Unless we have some lurkers.

What defines a "hater"?

Who would these lurkers be that know something?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
No but it allows them to trade their normal picks.

Comp picks are at the end of a round. Dallas' regular choices are at the top of the round. Why would that be an attractive thing to do?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
But this front office has overseen two decades of failure.

Would these haters also be realists?

The change in how the FO operates only began about 3 years ago. I agree before that it was a disaster. I was a big critic as well before the change but really think they've turned it around.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Basically it's having no plan to have a bridge from Romo to the next guy. Put the single most important position on the field on the backburner and get me a cornerback or linebacker or defensive tackle. Someone you can more easily find every year.

The sad part is our GM shares your tunnel vision and we will probably waste this golden opportunity of avoiding being one of the have nots in the league. I look forward to the years where we have complete garbage at QB desperately hoping to be in the position we are in right now. Years where that cornerback or linebacker or defensive tackle are readily available. That's good forward thinking and team building.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The change in how the FO operates only began about 3 years ago. I agree before that it was a disaster. I was a big critic as well before the change but really think they've turned it around.

Oh, we've changed? How so? Because I still see the same GM, the same unqualified hack son and the same puppet coach. I even see the same failure over the last 3 years.

Is this a Will McClay thing?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only in Dallas could all the names remain the same but great change has occurred.

Western

Reaction score
We need an infusion of talent on a team that went 12-4 just 2 seasons ago. It all boils down to surrounding Romo with more on the feild talent.

Success "2 seasons ago" as the reason to avoid drafting a QB can somewhat be misplaced in today's NFL.

For instance,
1. Green Bay Packers were a perennial playoff team with Brett Favre during the early 2000's (making the playoffs in 2003 and 2004), then the organization had to foresight to draft Aaron Rogers in 2005 in the first round.
2. New York Giants played in the Super Bowl in 2001 and were a playoff team in the 2002 season, then made a draft day trade in 2004 with San Diego, and traded for the draft rights of Eli Manning in the 2004 draft.
3. Pittsburgh Steelers under coach Cowher were also playoff contenders in the early 2000's (making the playoffs in 2001 and 2002), then decided to draft Ben Roethlisberger in the 2004 draft.
4. Even the Denver Broncos and New England Patriots who both had established playoff Super Bowl winning QB's, drafted QB's in the 2nd round (Osweiler in 2012, and Garoppolo in 2014).

Point is those teams made the playoffs and won playoff games and, the front office drafted QB's in the 1st round/2nd round as a means of upgrading their roster and the team for the future.

An organization and the team's future should not be held hostage by one player (Jerry's unapologetic loyalty to and fear of upsetting the elder players on the team as the owner completely undermines the cold rational calculation that a general manager needs to possess in acquiring and assembling the roster).

Now, if the scouting department/personnel people endorse and emphatically conclude that any of the top QB's are worthy of the 4th selection and given that the QB position is the most important position on a team, Romo's health issues, age, and no current viable backup with quality starter potential on the roster, the selection of the QB in my mind would be justified.
The opportunity and investment of acquiring a franchise QB at the number 4 selection or even higher if necessary, is worth the risk.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I made several bomb drop/explosion noises reading that post, Western.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Oh, we've changed? How so? Because I still see the same GM, the same unqualified hack son and the same puppet coach. I even see the same failure over the last 3 years.

Is this a Will McClay thing?

From a personnel perspective I think there done a really good job lately except for Hardy. That was a mistake and I wasn't for it from the beginning. That was probably all Jerry. In hindsight you can add McClain as a bad decision as well.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From a personnel perspective I think there done a really good job lately except for Hardy. That was a mistake and I wasn't for it from the beginning. That was probably all Jerry. In hindsight you can add McClain as a bad decision as well.

You think over the last 3 years the Cowboys have done really well personnel wise despite no changes from the failed front office of the past?

Would you like to review these last three offseasons and see if your theory passes the smell test?

I suggest you just Will McClay me and move on.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You think over the last 3 years the Cowboys have done really well personnel wise despite no changes from the failed front office of the past?

Would you like to review these last three offseasons and see if your theory passes the smell test?

I suggest you just Will McClay me and move on.

Frederick, Martin, Lawerence, Jones, Gregory, Collins. That's a pretty stout core of young players to build on.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Frederick, Martin, Lawerence, Jones, Gregory, Collins. That's a pretty stout core of young players to build on.

It's also top heavy and not enough to field a winning team. I know you're desperate but I don't know how much you can credit frick and frack for Collins. 32 NFL teams wanted to sign him as an UDFA. Everyone knew how good he could be. He came to Dallas because it's Dallas and it's Dallas because of people like Jimmy Johnson and Tom Landry.

Would you like to review our 2nd-7th round picks those years as well as our FA signings? I don't have the time now but I will later and I know it will tell you this front office has changed as much as the names have.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I don't know how much you can credit frick and frack for Collins. 32 NFL teams wanted to sign him as an UDFA. Everyone knew how good he could be. He came to Dallas because it's Dallas and it's Dallas because of people like Jimmy Johnson and Tom Landry.
Steak and lobster at Jones' majestic palace. GSM.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It's also top heavy and not enough to field a winning team. I know you're desperate but I don't know how much you can credit frick and frack for Collins. 32 NFL teams wanted to sign him as an UDFA. Everyone knew how good he could be. He came to Dallas because it's Dallas and it's Dallas because of people like Jimmy Johnson and Tom Landry.

Would you like to review our 2nd-7th round picks those years as well as our FA signings? I don't have the time now but I will later and I know it will tell you this front office has changed as much as the names have.

You can if you want but I'm giving them 1 more year before I concede.