Jerry Rice: Garoppolo Better Than Dak

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
If in fact the pundits are right and the QB position is the most important position on the field
he could hardly be a non-factor.

By labeling as such you claim that Josh Rosen or Steve Pelluer at starting QB would have the same results
I believe josh rosen on that team still makes a decent playoff run.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Coming from the guy that thinks Andy Dalton can do what Dak does I’ll take your QB opinion with a grain of salt.

Dalton could get similar results yes..

He could've easily carried us to 8-8 just like Dak did last year.

It's ok.. You're a biased Cowboy fan. I understand your opinion because of the environment we post in.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Dalton could get similar results yes..

He could've easily carried us to 8-8 just like Dak did last year.
tbh we should have been a 4-5 win team last year after seeing how our defense and special teams performed. and coaching

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Garoppolo has a much better best friend than Prescott, his defense. He also has a better FO and coaching staff.
Dak has a lot more offensive weapons. But I pull for 1 QB and 1 QB only, whoever wears the Star! Go Dak!!

CWR

Reaction score
Homer call. Sorry there's no evidence to support the argument. Im not saying Dak is hands down a better QB either. Im saying Rice is making a homer call without anything to support his opinion. The article shows two very similar seasons. I think we learn a lot about Dak this season under MM.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They're pretty comparable but Jimmy G has a much better W/L ratio and can actually beat the PACKERS...

I think its a wash between them, although if forced to choose, I'd give Jimmy G the nod because of how far he's led his team.

Against Green Bay, Garoppolo was 14 of 20 for 253 yards and 2 TDs (2 carries, 1 yard) in a 37-8 victory in the 2019 regular season. He was 6 of 8 for 77 yards and 0 TDs (4 carries, minus-1 yard) in a 37-20 playoff victory.

Dak Prescott was 27 of 44 for 463 yards, 2 TDs and 3 ints. (4 carries, 27 yards) in last year's 34-24 loss at Green Bay. He was 24 of 38 for 302 yards, 3 TDs and 1 int. (2 carries, 13 yards) in the 2016 34-31 playoff lose to the Packers.

I really wish fans would stop crediting QBs with W/L ratios and beating a team. Unless the rest of the team was on the sideline the entire time and the quarterback single-handedly whipped an opponent, he did not beat them, his team did possibly because the offense blocked better, the playmakers made more plays or the defense was better (or a combination of those things). The QB was just one factor.

Just in case someone wants to make the argument that if Dak hadn't thrown the interceptions against Green Bay, we would have won, the week before playing Green Bay in the playoffs, Garoppolo was 11 of 19 (58 percent) for 131 yards with 1 TD and 1 int. against Minnesota, and San Fran still won 27-10. Again, winning takes a team.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not outrageous
Im a believer in qb rating. Dak career 97. Jimmy 100.0
Jimmy took a team to a SB. Dak hasnt gotten to the conference game
Its close at this point. But I wouldnt be at all surprised if Dak was much better in 2020 than him. We shall see.

Now the Dak slobbers will hone in on only certain words in my comment and get mad, when in fact I made a balanced comment.
Of course Jimmy has only played a full season once. Never came close before last year. If you count Dak's first full season as a starter he had a 104 rating. All I'm saying is the sample size is small with Garoppolo, so we will need to see some history to judge his QBR fairly..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I love how other QB not named Dak can’t be even decent. Folks feel obligated to trash and blindly denigrate other QBs in a lame and misguided effort to defend Dak’s honor.

Dak supporters are very sensitive and it's because his play actually does need defending if you're a fan of his.

Dak's a good solid player and so is Jimmy G.. I would take Dak over Jimmy G because I like Dak's mobility better. If Jimmy G was more mobile i'd take him over Dak. That's the tie breaker for me.

I just think Dak is a high floor / low ceiling player.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Dak is so much better than Jimmy it's not even funny.

Jimmy was near the bottom of the league in air yards, and at the top in YAC. Dak was the exact opposite. Jimmy's numbers are entirely the product of that scheme.
YAC yards typically come from timing, throwing recievers open, picking the correct target and hitting them in stride.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jimmy G has the slight edge, FOR NOW. That is because he took his team to the promised land. Fair or not, those are the standards we rate QB'S.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak still gets my nod because he hasn't had the compliment of a competent HC and staff til now.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak is in the most optimal situation as far as having a supporting cast and the offense Dak has ran is very simple.

They're just similar players. You switch them places and you won't see dramatic results. Both teams would stay the same.

Both guys are bus drivers. I like Dak a little better than Jimmy G because he poses a threat to run even though he won't run some games.
this year Dak has great weapons. great players know how to utilize their weapons and produce results (of what they control, not just wins and losses). last year Dak had a couple of weapons in gallup and Cooper and he was the second leading passer, despite being handicapped by garrett. since we added cooper, he has been among the best passers.

I have always argued that its what you are able to accomplish once given weapons, because its a myth that player put the team on their back and take average players and make them into probowlers. three years ago, even in his first year we had average weapons on offense, outside of zeke in 2016.

and I agree that they maybe similar, but seemingly grapolo took a step back last year. his playoff performance was way underwhelming. he passed for 77 yards in the first playoff game and 131 in the other win. both games they had great great rushing attack and great defense.

I don't see Dak as a bus driver. I think he is in the 5-10 range in the league. and most rankings by experts and analysts have him ranked there.

btw, I don't like running QBs...I don't think that's how you win. even the great lamar jackson didn't succeed and got owned by Titans. QBs have to be able to pass their way to success, mobility is key, not running ability as a threat. mobile enough to make a few plays here and there with their legs......I don't like a player like jackson on my team (unless its my fantasy team :))

DFWJC

Reaction score
I've said this before.
Jimmy G was coming off a full blown ACL last year and was being somewhat protected.

The jury is still out, imo.

Maybe Rice is right, maybe he's not.

Redline360

Reaction score
They're similar.

Dak's had better offensive talent around him that elevates him but poor coaching.

Jimmy G has had mediocre offensive talent around him but great coaching.

I think Dak has shown more then Jimmy up to this point however the rest of the statement is true. Jimmy was also hurt last year
San Fran also had arguably one of the top 3 defenses in football. IF we ever get the defense in order no reason why we can't go deep into the playoffs every year