Jerry said, "I would do anything to win another Super Bowl"

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You may be mis-defining the term. A "football guy" knows the game inside and out. Jerry does not. Not much more complicated than that.

A person is not referred to as a "football guy" simply because they like football, or because they are associated w/ it, or are around the game.
You’re correct. I was using the term loosely.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You may be mis-defining the term. A "football guy" knows the game inside and out. Jerry does not. Not much more complicated than that.

A person is not referred to as a "football guy" simply because they like football, or because they are associated w/ it, or are around the game.

So you're saying he's been around the Cowboys for decades but hasn't learned about football?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Selling parking, jerseys, food and having other events in the stadium has NOTHING to do with making the team being able to win SBs. That's the point people get confused. Jerry has the stadium for those other events, to make him money. As far as the team's players go, ALL he has is the salary cap, the same as every other team. Sure he can pay coaches whatever he wants, but that's an indirect influence, coaches don't get in the game. As far as I know, he's never had a problem paying head coaches, I seriously doubt McCarthy would take on working for Jerry unless he gets paid handsomely.

Jerry truly thinks he's the best gm in the league, smartest player evaluator and consummate owner. He won't, and probably can't, allow himself to ever think somebody can do the job better than he can. So he sees not hiring a gm as the best course of action, why hire somebody to do your job if they can't do it as well as you can? It would reduce your chances of winning SBs.

Quit trying to make Jerry think like you do, he doesn't. To us it's obvious that with decades of no SBs since Jimmy (really the gm in actuality when he was here) left hiring a gm is a no-brainer, but WE'RE NOT JERRY....
I don’t believe he thinks he’s the best GM
In the league.

kskboys

Reaction score
Selling parking, jerseys, food and having other events in the stadium has NOTHING to do with making the team being able to win SBs. That's the point people get confused. Jerry has the stadium for those other events, to make him money. As far as the team's players go, ALL he has is the salary cap, the same as every other team. Sure he can pay coaches whatever he wants, but that's an indirect influence, coaches don't get in the game. As far as I know, he's never had a problem paying head coaches, I seriously doubt McCarthy would take on working for Jerry unless he gets paid handsomely.

Jerry truly thinks he's the best gm in the league, smartest player evaluator and consummate owner. He won't, and probably can't, allow himself to ever think somebody can do the job better than he can. So he sees not hiring a gm as the best course of action, why hire somebody to do your job if they can't do it as well as you can? It would reduce your chances of winning SBs.

Quit trying to make Jerry think like you do, he doesn't. To us it's obvious that with decades of no SBs since Jimmy (really the gm in actuality when he was here) left hiring a gm is a no-brainer, but WE'RE NOT JERRY....
Which points directly toward extreme narcissism, deeply ingrained delusions, and basically mental instability.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
When someone says they will do "anything" they always mean "anything they are okay with doing", which is not "anything" rather but rather "the same thing they have always done" usually.

5hakjc.jpg

kskboys

Reaction score
So you're saying he's been around the Cowboys for decades but hasn't learned about football?
I absolutely am.

Someone who has truly learned would not have made the S and DT positions a complete wasteland. Would not be wasting 2nd round picks almost yearly. Would never have drafted Escobar. Would not be taking injury risks high in the draft along w/ druggies and projects.

Jerry actually goes out of his way to prove to you that he hasn't learned. What makes you say he has?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I absolutely am.

Someone who has truly learned would not have made the S and DT positions a complete wasteland. Would not be wasting 2nd round picks almost yearly. Would never have drafted Escobar. Would not be taking injury risks high in the draft along w/ druggies and projects.

Jerry actually goes out of his way to prove to you that he hasn't learned. What makes you say he has?

Fair enough, I just asked the question. And I've already said I don't think he's a football guy. As far as the ignoring essentially of the S and DT positions, etc. that's just Jerry being Jerry, since he does think he's so smart, he sees Escobar, etc. as seeing things others are too stupid to see and based on his oil background, it's a risk/reward thing - IF Escobar worked out it'd be a great reward. Same with J. Smith. Building a team off the running back in this era is considered stupid, but Jerry once again wants to show the league he has it right and all the rest are just missing the boat...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm sure Jerry would do what was needed to win a Super Bowl if only he knew how to go about it. :oops:

It's too bad he doesn't have the knowledge. He sees he's failed but just isn't willing to step down! :rolleyes:

Yet, he says he'd do anything to win the Super Bowl. Seems like it's more convenient to say than do.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

He played college football at Arkansas. So he probably knows more than you do.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The sad fact is that Jerry knows plenty about football and team building. In fact he may know more about it than anyone on the planet. The problem is that he makes his decisions based on ego and emotion and they are consequence free. He will invest more into WR than anyone because that is the way he likes it. He will resign his draft picks because that is the way he likes it. He will give his "star" players early massive extensions because that is the way he likes it. He is here to make money and friends. He is the teacher at school that all the kids want. Not because you will learn something but because he will make it easy for you and it will always be a good time.

aikemirv

Reaction score
First off, that's a lie, Jerrah. You wouldn't take your clammy hands off the wheel & allow real professionals to run your team. You wouldn't let them build a top ten defense through the draft. (Of course, the way they mis-judge pass rushing talent, I wouldn't let the current crew do it either). Randy Gregory & Taco Charlton-2 picks ahead of TJ Watt-come to mind.

If you truly want to see the Cowboys win it all, sell the team. But, just one more thing you wouldn't do.

I am pretty sure you can only sell your soul to the devil once!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
First off, that's a lie, Jerrah. You wouldn't take your clammy hands off the wheel & allow real professionals to run your team. You wouldn't let them build a top ten defense through the draft. (Of course, the way they mis-judge pass rushing talent, I wouldn't let the current crew do it either). Randy Gregory & Taco Charlton-2 picks ahead of TJ Watt-come to mind.

If you truly want to see the Cowboys win it all, sell the team. But, just one more thing you wouldn't do.
up until last year and I am waiting on judging last year, we had 45 picks in 15 years and one player who we could say was significant contributor and that was D-Law.....thats awful....compare same period with offensive picks and we had Zeke, Dak, smith, Martin, Fredrick (yes he retired), Gallup, Schultz, Dez, Murray, Doug Free and Rico Gathers (just joking).....how can we make so many good offensive picks and be so bad at defensive picks...even in FA.

Hardline

Reaction score
I don't think its a CEO's job to win a Super Bowl....I think its his job to make money first and foremost....Could he be making more with a SB win? I'd say so...but in regards to his job? He has a brand and his brand is making more than anyone else's....
The best business model is to win championships. I realize our fan base will shell out millions of dollars for an inferior product and that's our downfall.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
True. Not enough. But he has remained interesting and relative. Which is enough to sell hope. No one has ever sold 8-8 like him.

now he has done everything he could to remain at the top in marketing his brand that is 100% true. I mean he couldn't even conduct 3 real interviews after letting Garrett walk.

rambo2

Reaction score
He played college football at Arkansas. So he probably knows more than you do.
He certainly knows a lot more than the idiots that are obsessed with bad mouthing him. A billionaire hall of famer. Talk about making ones self look bad. That pretty much sums it up.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I do wonder somewhat (but only somewhat) why , at his current age of 78, why he STILL won't hire a gm. Maybe he feels it will take too long for a new gm to put his stamp on the team and start winning rings again. Maybe he truly feels Dak and McCarthy have this team on the cusp of another title. Maybe he feels he'll live to be 100 and has plenty of time to win more SBs.

One things for sure, nobody knows exactly why he won't hire a gm. We can suppose and guess and conjecture all we want, we can even categorically state why he won't do that. But the simple fact is we don't know and maybe will never know....

I don't think it's complicated. Jerry loves doing things the way he's doing them. The only thing that could make it better, for him, is to win another SB.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And it ends with "no, i would do that"

Negating the assertiin thay he would do "anything"

No. It ends with "I believe that I give this team the best chance of success." Hence, the delusion.

Most seem to want to say that he's lying to us because they can't see how he could possibly believe it. I think Jerry has said similar things over and over again that the main one he is lying to is himself. When he says he would do anything, he's saying anything he believes would help his team win another Super Bowl. He doesn't believe replacing himself as GM would do that.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The unvarnished truth! This was “America’s Team” 11 years before Jerral Wayne bought the most iconic football team on the planet. He didn’t buy the freakin’ Browns.
and won 3 super bowls shortly after taking over a struggling Dallas team close to bankruptcy

can you count?

that ONE MORE SB then the old regime..

I guess we keep trying hard to remember that JERRYs ownership brought 3 super bowls to this area and that more then the other ownershi[p..so exactly not the browns 3 super bowls says this is correct..