Jerry said, "I would do anything to win another Super Bowl"

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely correct. Dallas was "America's team" long before Jerry arrived on the scene. These younger fans and media act like Jerry founded the Cowboys.
The Cowboys won 20 playoff games from 1960-1988. That’s when the Cowboys became America’s Team. The name was given in 1978, a decade before Jerry ever touched this franchise. They have won 15 playoff games since he bought it- 11 of them from 1991-96. Four playoff wins in the last 25 yrs. That’s a complete testament to his time as the dominant force here.

Jerry bought the most iconic bulletproof sports brand next to the Yankees. He’s certainly added monetary value, but he did NOT create that value. He bought the most beloved football team in the world. He hired a hall of fame coach in 1989 that coach put together one of the best rosters in NFL history. And Jerry has done little on his own since.

Last edited:

Hardline

Reaction score
really? the best gm huh, how can THE BEST GM be available to hire? why would an owner allow THE BEST GM get way..????

who is the best GM in the game? what he would quit to run the DC? and for sure hes guaranteed to be in a sb in 3-5 years Guaranteed?

im betting if that were the case Jerrys comments were just that he would hire the guy in a NY minute..period..truth is there are no guaranteed and the best of everything is typically not available..

so calm down on the keyboard claims..pundits..so much football knowledge in here judging a billionaire CEO.Owner/GM claiming he doesnt know football and act as if you can do it better. Seriously??

wow the egos in here..

who here is an NFL GM? owner?

heck how but the jock strap scrubber..nope no ties to the NFL whatsoever but sure know an awful lot..hmmm
Swing and miss.
I'll let you reread my post before correcting you.
I suspect you did it intentionally

Hardline

Reaction score
That's only part of the job of a CEO. Much more to it, Jerry can be a great CEO and not hire the best gm. Besides, how many "best" gms started out that way? Took Schramm 11 years to get a SB win, Dolphins' gm did it in 5. Jerry hired Parcells, who by all accounts got much more control of the team than any coach but Jimmy, but still no more SBs. Yet now the Cowboys are the most valued franchise in the league, despite no more SBs.

I'm completely in agreement that Jerry is a great CEO, despite not hiring a gm...
I strongly disagree. Jerry is an incompetent CEO because he fails to recognize 25 years of no super Bowl championships have one constant.
No GM would survive 25 years of failure unless that GM is the CEO.
Jerry isnt a football guy.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Jerry said, "I would do anything to win another Super Bowl"

Heard that for 26 years....hire a real football GM and step back for day to day decisions Jerry...it's that simple!

5haeyx.jpg

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I strongly disagree. Jerry is an incompetent CEO because he fails to recognize 25 years of no super Bowl championships have one constant.
I don't think its a CEO's job to win a Super Bowl....I think its his job to make money first and foremost....Could he be making more with a SB win? I'd say so...but in regards to his job? He has a brand and his brand is making more than anyone else's....

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Jerry has been the GM of this team for 32 years.. Whether people accept it or not but he's probably one of the most experienced GMs in the game at this point. We can hand wring all day as whether he's any good at his job but he absolutely HAS been doing longer than probably 75% of GMs in the league now.

:facepalm:

Jerry's refusal to hold himself, or his son, accountable is hardly a selling point. All of that "experience" and not one other NFL team would hire him to be their GM.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

No, Jerry isn't a football guy, no dispute about that.

But has the team been "successful"? Well that depends on how you view it - as noted the Cowboys are the most valued sports franchise in the world. Most "football" successful?
Again that depends on your definition. Dallas is tied with the Packers for the highest overall winning percentage ever. Is that not successful?
Now lately? No, we all know the 26 years of no titles. But you can't get to be the most valuable without scads of fans buying tickets and merchandise, so again Dallas has to be at the top of fan base, or near to it.

It's not a cut and dried situation. I see and understand your position, but we're not going to agree...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think its a CEO's job to win a Super Bowl....I think its his job to make money first and foremost....Could he be making more with a SB win? I'd say so...but in regards to his job? He has a brand and his brand is making more than anyone else's....
I think Jethro would give up some of the revenue to win a championship. The revenue just provides him the ability to continue his ways.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No, Jerry isn't a football guy, no dispute about that.

But has the team been "successful"? Well that depends on how you view it - as noted the Cowboys are the most valued sports franchise in the world. Most "football" successful?
Again that depends on your definition. Dallas is tied with the Packers for the highest overall winning percentage ever. Is that not successful?
Now lately? No, we all know the 26 years of no titles. But you can't get to be the most valuable without scads of fans buying tickets and merchandise, so again Dallas has to be at the top of fan base, or near to it.

It's not a cut and dried situation. I see and understand your position, but we're not going to agree...
Jethro is a football guy. Just not one of the better ones. The rest of the leagues teams should be ashamed they haven’t fared better this era.

I’ve always said if all owners were mandated to follow in our owners footsteps running their football teams as such , Jethro probably would have had more success. As he’s probably about as good a football guy as most of them. Unfortunately most of the league doesn’t operate as such,

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Unless your last name is "Jones", who cares about net worth and ticket sales?

As for "highest winning percentage ever", you're going back decades before any of us heard of Jerry to latch onto that one.

The last 26 years are what matter, considering that is over 80% of the time that Jerry has owned the team, and counting.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jethro is a football guy. Just not one of the better ones. The rest of the leagues teams should be ashamed they haven’t fared better this era.

I’ve always said if all owners were mandated to follow in our owners footsteps running their football teams as such , Jethro probably would have had more success. As he’s probably about as good a football guy as most of them. Unfortunately most of the league doesn’t operate as such,
Disagree that he's a "football guy". Jerry is a casual fan, not a football guy. A football guy would watch film of possible draftees.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Disagree that he's a "football guy". Jerry is a casual fan, not a football guy. A football guy would watch film of possible draftees.
I understand . But as far as comparing to other owners . But yes, I agree. He’s a casual fan. And we really don’t know how much time he spends on some matters. Not enough obviously. Lol

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I think Jethro would give up some of the revenue to win a championship. The revenue just provides him the ability to continue his ways.

But he won't give up the GM role and won't go hands off. If he truly wants to compete for super bowls again that is the first step he should make, but he refuses to do it. So you find yourself back at square one asking if Jerry truly wants to win.

Magic 8 ball says 'no'. He won't do 'anything' to win another super bowl because 'anything' would include making a few key sacrifices that he flat out refuses to do.

kskboys

Reaction score
I understand . But as far as comparing to other owners . But yes, I agree. And we really don’t know how much time he spends on some matters. Not enough obviously.
You may be mis-defining the term. A "football guy" knows the game inside and out. Jerry does not. Not much more complicated than that.

A person is not referred to as a "football guy" simply because they like football, or because they are associated w/ it, or are around the game.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Selling parking, jerseys, food and having other events in the stadium has NOTHING to do with making the team being able to win SBs. That's the point people get confused. Jerry has the stadium for those other events, to make him money. As far as the team's players go, ALL he has is the salary cap, the same as every other team. Sure he can pay coaches whatever he wants, but that's an indirect influence, coaches don't get in the game. As far as I know, he's never had a problem paying head coaches, I seriously doubt McCarthy would take on working for Jerry unless he gets paid handsomely.

Jerry truly thinks he's the best gm in the league, smartest player evaluator and consummate owner. He won't, and probably can't, allow himself to ever think somebody can do the job better than he can. So he sees not hiring a gm as the best course of action, why hire somebody to do your job if they can't do it as well as you can? It would reduce your chances of winning SBs.

Quit trying to make Jerry think like you do, he doesn't. To us it's obvious that with decades of no SBs since Jimmy (really the gm in actuality when he was here) left hiring a gm is a no-brainer, but WE'RE NOT JERRY....