Jerry speaks on Elliott

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
different translation:

And we want Zeke when we get to the playoffs.
Translation: "He has to be back by game 11 and the playoffs are when we really need him."
This translation would be atypical to how Jones has spoken in the past. For this example, Jerryspeak would have stated something like, "We are looking at Zeke before Zeke and the team hit the wall." In other words, Jones would have included a limiter or deadline in his jargon.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think you are confused......you are half right. Elliot can get his 4th accrued season in 2019 or 2020, so August 6th was a soft deadline. If he does not report by week 10, then he has to report by the deadline in 2020 to get his accrued year in order to reach UFA.

If Zeke does come back by week 10 this season without a new contract, he will get credit for an accrued year. The latest example of this was Joey Galloway in Seattle.

No I am not confused.

He can not accrue his 4th season towards FA in 2019.

Not only does the headline tells you this, this paragraph also says it:

So as long as Elliott reports by Week 10, his fourth year in the NFL counts in 2019, his fifth-year option stays in 2020 and he will be a UFA in 2021. He will have to report by the accrued-season date in 2020 (provided no long-term deal is done by then) or he will risk being a restricted free agent in 2021, with the club still able to place the more expensive but more secure franchise tag on him that year.

He only has one more chance to accrue his 4th year to get unrestricted FA status. That is by showing up in Aug of 2020 under his current deal.

The Galloway situation has nothing to do with accrued years. He had already played 4 seasons in Seattle before holding out (95, 96, 97, 98 and then he held out in 99. Seattle tagged him in 2000 and trade him to us). Galloway's situation has to do with "tolling" a contract. Tolling is basically shifting the terms of the contract forward a year.

What Seattle tried to argue was that in missing games in 1999, Seattle could push his contract forward a year (toll his contract) into 2000, which would mean that technically, Galloway was still under contract in 2000 and his contract hadn't actually expired in 1999. They lost that hearing and then promptly franchise tagged him.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Think Zeke and his camp are threatening to sit out until week 10 and Jerry simply calling their bluff. You have to consider what's Jerry motivation giving this info to the public. Pretty obvious they're not close to deal at all. Zeke just said he wanted to be a life-long Cowboy but he also implied the possibility of playing for another team using Emmitt as an example.

Here's my take.......IF this thing drags out to mid-season with Zeke reporting the after week 10, I think both parties gets through the rest of the season and look for an exit 2020 before the free agency or the draft.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No I am not confused.

He can not accrue his 4th season towards FA in 2019.

Not only does the headline tells you this, this paragraph also says it:

He only has one more chance to accrue his 4th year to get unrestricted FA status. That is by showing up in Aug of 2020 under his current deal.

The Galloway situation has nothing to do with accrued years. He had already played 4 seasons in Seattle before holding out (95, 96, 97, 98 and then he held out in 99. Seattle tagged him in 2000 and trade him to us). Galloway's situation has to do with "tolling" a contract. Tolling is basically shifting the terms of the contract forward a year.

What Seattle tried to argue was that in missing games in 1999, Seattle could push his contract forward a year (toll his contract) into 2000, which would mean that technically, Galloway was still under contract in 2000 and his contract hadn't actually expired in 1999. They lost that hearing and then promptly franchise tagged him.

It gets tolled if he doesn’t report by the Lions game, week 11.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericma...nd-shouldnt-pay-ezekiel-elliott/#6c97413738da

Reaction score
This is false. He already lost his chance to accrue a year towards free agency. He had so show up bu Aug 6th.

You are partially incorrect. There are 2 things at play here. Accrued years for free agency and contract years. Under the CBA, you need 4 accrued years toward free agency to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of your contract. Zeke has 3 and you’re right he lost one by not reporting August 6. But he does not care because he’ll either get a new contract or report before August 6 next year (and get his 4th accrued year). As far as contract years, he has to report by week 11 to fulfill his contract for the year. And move on to his 5th year option year next year.

Sydla

Reaction score
It gets tolled if he doesn’t report by the Lions game, week 11.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericma...nd-shouldnt-pay-ezekiel-elliott/#6c97413738da

You still aren't getting it.

You are mashing together two distinct concepts:

1) Accrued seasons to qualify for unrestricted FA
2) Contract expiration

He can't accrue a 4th year towards FA this year. He just can't.

What he can do is show up by Week 10 and have this count as his 4th contract year, guaranteeing that in 2021, he becomes a FA (either restricted or unrestricted). If he does not show up in Week 10, he can't become a FA until 2022, even if he earns that 4th year of accrued seasons in 2020.

Sydla

Reaction score
You are partially incorrect. There are 2 things at play here. Accrued years for free agency and contract years. Under the CBA, you need 4 accrued years toward free agency to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of your contract. Zeke has 3 and you’re right he lost one by not reporting August 6. But he does not care because he’ll either get a new contract or report before August 6 next year (and get his 4th accrued year). As far as contract years, he has to report by week 11 to fulfill his contract for the year. And move on to his 5th year option year next year.

Someone said he can accrue a year if he shows up by Week 10. That's false. He can't accrue a season towards FA this year.

I made no comments about whether it made sense for him or when he could become a FA. I simply refuted the point that by showing up Week 10, he accrues a year towards FA. That's false.

As you said, showing up by Week 10 just means he's one year closer to his contract expiring. But if he shows up Week 10 this year and then holds out again and shows up Week 10 in 2020, he'll enter FA as a restricted FA in 2021 because he would have only accrued 3 seasons under the CBA rules.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
It wouldn’t be a huge upset to see the giants beat us with out Zeke. They almost did it last year in the last week if it wasn’t for that incredibly lucky td catch by Beasley. It took us a miraculous play to even squeal a win against them and they’re better this year than last.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You still aren't getting it.

You are mashing together two distinct concepts:

1) Accrued seasons to qualify for unrestricted FA
2) Contract expiration

He can't accrue a 4th year towards FA this year. He just can't.

What he can do is show up by Week 10 and have this count as his 4th contract year, guaranteeing that in 2021, he becomes a FA (either restricted or unrestricted). If he does not show up in Week 10, he can't become a FA until 2022, even if he earns that 4th year of accrued seasons in 2020.

I was talking about accruing a contract year the whole time although I was probably not clear about that. If he shows up week 11, accrues a contract year and also reports by the August deadline in 2020.....he can collect his 9 million salary rather than 2019 tolling over and get paid the 3 million something.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I think Jerry is just saying we're in no hurry to hand out a stupid contract so either sign what we've offered and get in here or sit until you've missed so many game checks that you're tired of losing 230k a week and you show up anyways.

Giants, Commanders, and Dolphins as well as Tony Pollard have Jerry very relaxed right now.
Jerry won't be so relaxed if something happens to Pollard. (injury)
Also, if Pollard sucks after the first, say 3 games, what happens then? Will Jerry pony up the bucks? What if we are 0-3? A lot can change when you are losing. Pocket books tend to loosen up a little. lol

Sydla

Reaction score
I was talking about accruing a contract year the whole time although I was probably not clear about that. If he shows up week 11, accrues a contract year and also reports by the August deadline in 2020.....he can collect his 9 million salary rather than 2019 tolling over and get paid the 3 million something.

Yes.

My apologies if I misread your point.

waldoputty

Reaction score
It wouldn’t be a huge upset to see the giants beat us with out Zeke. They almost did it last year in the last week if it wasn’t for that incredibly lucky td catch by Beasley. It took us a miraculous play to even squeal a win against them and they’re better this year than last.

sure
tate is suspended.
they have one proven wr in shepard after trading obj
they traded/lost 2 proven starting dl including their rde
a rookie starting cb

if we cannot beat half-a-team, we should call it quits for the season with or wihtout zeke

Beaker42

Reaction score
I think Jerry is just saying we're in no hurry to hand out a stupid contract so either sign what we've offered and get in here or sit until you've missed so many game checks that you're tired of losing 230k a week and you show up anyways.

Giants, Commanders, and Dolphins as well as Tony Pollard have Jerry very relaxed right now.
You left out the semi trailer full of Johnnie Walker Blue.

LittleD

Reaction score
This is false. He already lost his chance to accrue another season. As a player under contract and holding out, he had to show up by Aug 6th to get that accrual year towards FA.

According to many sources, all he has to do is show up next year for TC and he can accrue another season, since he has to play next year he will get to his 4 qualified seasons to try and get to FA. Of course, the franchise tag is still in effect. I still think he has to play the final 6 games this season to get a season credit.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
wow the giants and skins and dolphins will all be really up when they play the cowboys jerry like his son should just keep his mouth shut those two hurt this team way more than they help

waldoputty

Reaction score
If you have Super Bowl aspirations, 1 game can be the difference between a bye and home field advantage. This is a big gamble for Jerry.

even bigger risk if u get bend over by someone with 2 years left on his contract with the line of contract negotiations that needs to happen.
not just 2019 but the next 5 years

Sydla

Reaction score
According to many sources, all he has to do is show up next year for TC and he can accrue another season, since he has to play next year he will get to his 4 qualified seasons to try and get to FA. Of course, the franchise tag is still in effect. I still think he has to play the final 6 games this season to get a season credit.

Yes. He has to show up by Week 10 to count as a season against his contract. But he can't accrue a season towards unrestricted FA status this year. He missed the Aug 6th date.