Jerry statement on retaining McCarthy

Davidlee1973

Reaction score

Statement Jerry Jones:

“I believe this team is very close and capable of achieving our ultimate goals and the best step forward for us will be with Mike McCarthy as our head coach. There is great benefit to continuing the team’s progress under Mike’s leadership as our head coach. Specifically, there are many layers of success that have occurred this season as a result of Mike’s approach to leading the team, both with individual players and with our team collectively. Mike has the highest regular season winning percentage of any head coach in Cowboys history and we will dedicate ourselves, in partnership with him, to translating that into reaching our post season goals. Certainly, Mike’s career has demonstrated post season success at a high level, and we have great confidence that can continue.

"Further, our loss on Sunday is shared by everyone here, not just Coach McCarthy. Our players. Our coaches. Our front office. Myself. There is accountability for our results. I am accountable for our results. The lens we use to view and evaluate Coach McCarthy is holistic. While we’re all disappointed with the result on Sunday and with our playoff record, I am 100 percent supportive of him as our head coach and ability to reach our goals.

“We will start our process of review and decision making regarding everything that impacts our team and roster and, while we’re not going to address specific players and extensions or free agents at this point, it deserves our deepest review and consideration, and it will get it.”

This is not a step forward, it’s a lateral move. What does he think is close. Close is getting beat by one point in the championship game. Not getting blown by a 9-8 number 7 seed at home.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Can't say I'm happy about it, but he's our coach and I'll support him until he's not. No amount of whining or name calling is gonna change it. If it did, I'd join the majority of you, but it won't, so I won't either.
Salud and Go Cowboys!
A complacent and supportive fanbase is exactly what is required right now to get us to our ultimate goal of 20 billion $.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
:lmao:THIS team is so broke....over the cap...they are gonna have to re-work half the contracts just to get under the cap....

And what player would want to come here and be a part of this mess?
A lot of contracts are coming off the books. As much as it's gonna hurt people Daks getting extended and that will lower his cap #

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

sunk-cost fallacy​

noun
the phenomenon whereby a person is reluctant to abandon a strategy or course of action because they have invested heavily in it, even when it is clear that abandonment would be more beneficial.
"the sunk-cost fallacy creeps into a lot of major financial decisions"
See: Dak supporter

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

Statement Jerry Jones:

“I believe this team is very close and capable of achieving our ultimate goals and the best step forward for us will be with Mike McCarthy as our head coach. There is great benefit to continuing the team’s progress under Mike’s leadership as our head coach. Specifically, there are many layers of success that have occurred this season as a result of Mike’s approach to leading the team, both with individual players and with our team collectively. Mike has the highest regular season winning percentage of any head coach in Cowboys history and we will dedicate ourselves, in partnership with him, to translating that into reaching our post season goals. Certainly, Mike’s career has demonstrated post season success at a high level, and we have great confidence that can continue.

"Further, our loss on Sunday is shared by everyone here, not just Coach McCarthy. Our players. Our coaches. Our front office. Myself. There is accountability for our results. I am accountable for our results. The lens we use to view and evaluate Coach McCarthy is holistic. While we’re all disappointed with the result on Sunday and with our playoff record, I am 100 percent supportive of him as our head coach and ability to reach our goals.

“We will start our process of review and decision making regarding everything that impacts our team and roster and, while we’re not going to address specific players and extensions or free agents at this point, it deserves our deepest review and consideration, and it will get it.”

Well I can't like this. Sorry butcher.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Think about it like this and this is probably factoring in the old man’s decision . I owe McCarthy his last yr on his contract why fire him and have to pay him . In essence if 2024 goes the way of this season his contract is up you owe him nothing $$. If there’s success enter into negotiations and go forward .

You don’t become mega wealthy by throwing millions in the garbage and paying MM to join Switzer on the football coaches couch. After next season that’s five yrs you’ve given this man , plenty of time to go to football nirvana or unemployed .

:starspin:

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
This has the makings of a fun year already! Thanks to the Joneses for giving us so much to look forward to in 24.

1) Either Dak isn't extended, preventing us from assembling a better roster. Or he is and we can look forward to a few more years of this same result.
2) A ton of players will be leaving in free agency. They're not all stars, but we can only replace so much in the draft, because we might not be able to spend in free agency. And even if we do have cap space, we don't take part in free agency anyways.
3) We don't have a lot of draft picks this year, and pick later in each round. Lucky to get one starter.
4) Quinn will likely leave. Barring his playoff fiasco, he has transformed our defense for the better and they have bailed out the offense many times. Jerry won't hire from outside to replace him, because no one good is coming in on a one year deal. Whitt may be good at it, or he may not. But he'll get the call regardless. A lot of faith in an unknown.
5) We are stuck with Mike as OC. Dak bailed his playcalling and design out a lot this year. And when we needed a gameplan the most, against a bad defense no less, Mike prepared the worst imaginable plan and stuck with it, despite being down 27.

Maybe the worst part is that we will have to constantly endure the idiot Jones boys justify every ******* decision they make, like none of us have a brain and can't see what they're really doing.

shabazz

Reaction score
Make no mistake in what you just saw. It was Jerry extending a big middle finger to the entire fanbase

He's hell bent on doing it his way.

The next time he says "I want to win at all costs", just remember that he had a chance to get 2 proven Championship winning coaches here and HE DIDN'T EVEN TRY.

starfan1

Reaction score
This has the makings of a fun year already! Thanks to the Joneses for giving us so much to look forward to in 24.

1) Either Dak isn't extended, preventing us from assembling a better roster. Or he is and we can look forward to a few more years of this same result.
2) A ton of players will be leaving in free agency. They're not all stars, but we can only replace so much in the draft, because we might not be able to spend in free agency. And even if we do have cap space, we don't take part in free agency anyways.
3) We don't have a lot of draft picks this year, and pick later in each round. Lucky to get one starter.
4) Quinn will likely leave. Barring his playoff fiasco, he has transformed our defense for the better and they have bailed out the offense many times. Jerry won't hire from outside to replace him, because no one good is coming in on a one year deal. Whitt may be good at it, or he may not. But he'll get the call regardless. A lot of faith in an unknown.
5) We are stuck with Mike as OC. Dak bailed his playcalling and design out a lot this year. And when we needed a gameplan the most, against a bad defense no less, Mike prepared the worst imaginable plan and stuck with it, despite being down 27.

Maybe the worst part is that we will have to constantly endure the idiot Jones boys justify every ******* decision they make, like none of us have a brain and can't see what they're really doing.
Fear not sir next year is the one. We got that incredible 2023 draft to lean on we dont need more picks. You also have Lance who will save the day . :laugh:Quinn is garbage. His defense is no different than the QB ball out against teams that are average and if they dont get turnovers they suck.

Oh and they dont show up in big games either

Hadenough

Reaction score
Because you have no idea what you're talking about.
You've fallen for Jerry's Kool aid! Dak has the worst game of his career. A game that fans were waiting for all year because McCarthy was fixing him from the last two train wreck playoff games. I feel bad for you. Your where I was in 2012. Feels good to say Cowboys suck! You should try it sometime.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Goodness sakes give 4 completion at QB in training camp . Lance and or a draft pick . Based on post season 2-5 the job should not be a given . And under no circumstances extend him .

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Fan since ‘75 and never thought there would be a straw to break this camels back. I was wrong. Wish you all well and best of luck to you moving forward.