Jerry: Tony Romo will return at some point near the end of the year at the latest

T-RO

Reaction score
He's had several back and shoulder injuries. These take a toll on the body. I hurt my knee back in 97 playing football, and to this day, it bothers me. Now I wish I never ever played football, it just sometimes take a toll on your body for the rest of your life. I think Tony Romo should retire. I think the top of his game was 2014 when they put the ball into Murray's hands, and Romo will never be as good as he was that year. I believe Romo should, at the end of this year, announce his retirement and get into TV. He'd be a pretty good TV personality, and this is coming from a guy who was not drafted and played for 10 years in the league. He's a lucky man.

His fans need to either get prepared for the post Romo era, or find another team to root for. I'm hoping they find another team to root for personally.

A few thoughts...

Romo's health concerns at this point are a big deal..but ultimately its his choice and his alone if he wants to take those risks.

Romo had a massive year in 2014. Massive. Massive. Massive.
TD percentage per pass: #1 in the entire NFL
Yards per pass: #1 in the entire NFL
QB rating: #1 in the entire NFL

Did Murray make Romo that season...or did Romo make Murray? I say they helped each other. But portraying Romo as bus driver is like picturing a billionaire as a janitor. It's the most stupid thing anyone can say when talking about football.

I've been fine with Dak starting since week 2 or 3. What Romo wants to do...what his fans want to do is entirely their business. They don't need consultation--even if it's free.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I keep hearing and reading people use that reference but I've never been able to associate it with this circumstance. Both are good quarterbacks. One of them is arguably great (hope the latter that doesn't tick off some posters).

I would say the analogy applies if one of the quarterbacks were of average or poor ability. The analogy then be akin to changing out a perfectly good car tire for a defective tire or a donut. However, this scenario would be more inline with swapping out two equally good tires.

The analogy has been somewhat morphed to incorrectly align it with real documented health issues and/or past imagined (or flat out manufactured) poor play. Certainly, Romo could affect offensive efficiency if a past or potential future injury caused his level of play to properly execute the offensive scheme. No question. However, the analogy would still only apply if-and-when any injury diminishes his level of play--not before. In short, the analogy does not properly apply for a healthy Romo.

Well, it makes sense in this respect: There is always the unknown when you factor in humans and human behavior. Yes, Tony Romo is talented. But that doesn't mean that he quickly establishes chemistry with the Cowboys offense. Remember last year in the first game against Dallas? He was very shaky even though he led a game-winning drive - aided largely by Eli's stupidity. Remember in 2014 in the first game against the 49ers? He was shaky and the Niners beat us.

Dak has been there from the beginning. He's played more in preseason than Tony did. He has grown with the team. And we're riding a six game winning streak.

Hence, the saying. :)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I shudder at the thought of the level of vitriol that has been spewed back & forth over 9 pages of this post.... So I won't thumb through it.

Great call Jerry... I'm actually shocked the right one was made.
Actually there been no vitriol, at all.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
A few thoughts...

Romo's health concerns at this point are a big deal..but ultimately its his choice and his alone if he wants to take those risks.

Did Murray make Romo that season...or did Romo make Murray? I say they helped each other. But portraying Romo as bus driver is like picturing a billionaire as a janitor. It's about as stupid a thing as anyone can say when talking about football.

I've been fine with Dak starting since week 2 or 3. What Romo wants to do...what his fans want to do is entirely their business. They don't need consultation--even if it's free.
It's up to the person what type of life they want to live. He barely won the Lions game in the playoffs in 2014, and lost the Green Bay game. While he's still popular with the Dallas Cowboys fans, this is the time to retire. If he goes out and blows, he will be forgotten by not only all the people outside of Cowboys world, but also inside of Cowboys world.

CVN68_Cowboys

Reaction score
Well, it makes sense in this respect: There is always the unknown when you factor in humans and human behavior. Yes, Tony Romo is talented. But that doesn't mean that he quickly establishes chemistry with the Cowboys offense. Remember last year in the first game against Dallas? He was very shaky even though he led a game-winning drive - aided largely by Eli's stupidity. Remember in 2014 in the first game against the 49ers? He was shaky and the Niners beat us.

Dak has been there from the beginning. He's played more in preseason than Tony did. He has grown with the team. And we're riding a six game winning streak.

Hence, the saying. :)

I don't think all of that can be attributed to just the QB play. yes, Romo didn't start out well last year, but maybe Prescott has 2-3 rough games in a row here after starting so well. Don't underestimate the value of Elliott, either. Romo's running game last year was garbage, regardless of what our worthless starting RB was ranked in rush yards. They made a big mistake last year with that which they've thankfully corrected. At this point, I don't really care what they do with QB. I have concerns about Romo being rusty, but I don't have the same concerns about locker room or offensive chemistry some have at all. I also have concerns if a rookie can maintain this level through December into the playoffs. Guess we will see.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
A few thoughts...

QB rating: #1 in the entire NFL

Did Murray make Romo that season...or did Romo make Murray? I say they helped each other. But portraying Romo as bus driver is like picturing a billionaire as a janitor. It's the most stupid thing anyone can say when talking about football.

Yeah I hate the so-and-so "made" another guy. Romo was a Pro Bowl QB before Murray. Murray has a chance to lead the league in rushing post-Romo. They were two outstanding players who combined to make a great team.

Romo did anything but drive a bus that season.

T-RO

Reaction score
Actually there been no vitriol, at all.

Bullcrap.

There is no debate right now about who is starting. None. Dak is the starter and everyone knows it. This is just Clove wanting to rub people's faces in the dirt.

Telling people their dreams are crushed? That's vitriol a'plenty.

Air Force One

Reaction score
Bullcrap.

There is no debate right now about who is starting. None. Dak is the starter and everyone knows it. This is just Clove wanting to rub people's faces in the dirt.

Telling people their dreams are crushed? That's vitriol a'plenty.

Nobody's dreams have been crushed. Nothing has happened to lessen our chances of winning a SB this year(maybe Mo getting hurt).

I'm assuming we all have the same dream here....

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Dak & Zeke will have us in the Super Bowl this year. You heard it here first. Make sure you bookmark this page. Aight.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't think all of that can be attributed to just the QB play. yes, Romo didn't start out well last year, but maybe Prescott has 2-3 rough games in a row here after starting so well. Don't underestimate the value of Elliott, either. Romo's running game last year was garbage, regardless of what our worthless starting RB was ranked in rush yards. They made a big mistake last year with that which they've thankfully corrected. At this point, I don't really care what they do with QB. I have concerns about Romo being rusty, but I don't have the same concerns about locker room or offensive chemistry some have at all. I also have concerns if a rookie can maintain this level through December into the playoffs. Guess we will see.
Yeah, the run game and oline complement the QB and vice-versa.

BTW, I keep hearing how poorly Romo started out last year.
For HIM, maybe it was a slow.
But he was injured later in the 2nd game.
At that point:
  • The team was 2-0 (and against division rivals)
  • He had a 99 QB rating
  • He had a 75% completion %

Although it seemed slow and, as our Dak will correctly attest to (his rating vs NFC east teams is 82 so far) , QBs tend to have a lower rating vs division rivals .
Really, Romo was very good in context.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

At this point, I'm just resigned to this playing itself out. Nothing I do or think is going to change what the Jones and Garrett decide.
Hopefully, I'll just enjoy the ride. :)

T-RO

Reaction score
Nobody's dreams have been crushed. Nothing has happened to lessen our chances of winning a SB this year(maybe Mo getting hurt).

I'm assuming we all have the same dream here....

I was referencing Clove's comment...he told another poster that his dream was crushed.

I think winning the SuperBowl is paramount no matter who the quarterback it is.

I for one am extremely disappointed that Romo never had the chance to play for a title surrounded by the right kind of cast. HOWEVER my personal favorites and preferences are less important than team success.

As I've said many times Romo's health and age are limiting factors and the team is playing well with Dak. We need to come together and that isn't easy when you have a few fans that even after having their guy win the position still take some perverse pleasure in bashing Romo and his legacy...and needle fans who have to watch their favorite guy on the sideline.

Dak is the quarterback. Let it rest!

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
You get Romo well and you ride with Dak. Romo will then be well rested if he's needed. The Cowboys might still need him later in the year or in the playoffs. There is no reason to rush him back.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think the vast majority of us can easily see what's happening here with Tony out of shape and Dak playing his heart out and winning. Jerry knows he has a QB he can rely upon in Tony but removing a guy with a hot hand would be folly for Jerry or any other GM to do. The cards are laid out.

We'll probably continue to see what Dak can do going forward until such time as he fails miserably. Then and only then will Tony likely be reassigned as the starter. Jerry's no idiot and only a complete idiot would fix what isn't broken. A highly motivated team is nothing to mess with.

Last edited: