Jerry, "We Owe It To The Fans To Keep Jason Garrett"

Hoofbite

Reaction score
There's no disconnect.

If you know the guy's just trying to sell you on something, you can take everything he says with a grain of salt. So it doesn't matter what Jerry says regarding Garrett.

It's in Jerry's best interest for the fans to feel confident in Garrett. Right? So why should pro-Garrett sentiments shock anyone? How is this even news?

How does admitting past struggles as a consequence of inexperience instill confidence in the fan base?

I think he could have spent a little more time talking about the various areas of improvement he alluded to (I cut the video off after they started talking about Manziel. Maybe they came back to it) if he wanted to instill confidence in the fan base?

I don't think it was about instilling confidence in the fan base. What part of what he said would actually sway someone? Anyone without confidence in Jason likely doesn't have any because of the mistakes. Acknowledging those mistakes is more likely to prompt a, "I knew I was right" sort of response rather than a "man, I was so right that I was actually wrong" sort of response.

I think it was about trying to answer the question without answering the question.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
It boggles the mind how JJ thought it was a good idea to let a rookie coach 'learn on the fly' while he had guys like Romo, Witten, Ware, etc. in their primes. This wasn't even a re-building team but he thought "hell, let him make a mistake or two (which end up costing us every year". I have a feeling that even if we go 4-12 this year Garrett will still somehow keep his job while the dozen assistants will get the ax

Your thought process is much different when you are a narcissist. His thought process was more like" What can I do to show them I know football, I'll find the next young hot coach, even if it kills us all" He never thought about the team or wasting a career, he doesn't think like that.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Why Jerry , why ?
You could have posted a poll here and the Zoners would have clarified it to you , ( or realistically you could have asked the season ticket holders )

Lol!

Nav22

Reaction score
I dunno...I think a salesman who customers feel they can trust and believe in has a much easier time moving the goods than one whose customers are always rolling their eyes and laughing off his claims.

That's exactly my point.

And if you're smart enough to ignore his comments, there's no way he can sell you. You sit back and laugh at the poor saps who take these things seriously. Fortunately for Jerry, fans love his team so the team sells itself.

The ones who aren't smart enough to ignore his comments will either be sold or they'll simply feel their blood pressure rise. But even those guys aren't going anywhere. They'll keep tuning in because that's what fans do.

Nav22

Reaction score
How does admitting past struggles as a consequence of inexperience instill confidence in the fan base?

I think he could have spent a little more time talking about the various areas of improvement he alluded to (I cut the video off after they started talking about Manziel. Maybe they came back to it) if he wanted to instill confidence in the fan base?

I don't think it was about instilling confidence in the fan base. What part of what he said would actually sway someone? Anyone without confidence in Jason likely doesn't have any because of the mistakes. Acknowledging those mistakes is more likely to prompt a, "I knew I was right" sort of response rather than a "man, I was so right that I was actually wrong" sort of response.

I think it was about trying to answer the question without answering the question.

Because we all know Garrett has made mistakes, and Jerry knows that we all know that.

So his reasoning that Garrett will benefit from his experiences/growing pains is pretty much the only place he has to go in trying to convince Garrett's doubters that he's our best choice for the present and future.

Tawney88

Reaction score
Haha. He looks like the old man he is. Just lay off the bad plastic surgery. There should be a cutoff for that stuff anyway. If you're in your 70's that stuff isn't going to help.

27 years I'll be his age. I'm fair haired and fair skinned so I will age gracefully plus I stay out of the sun. I really think I can outlast him. Not even joking:D

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Because we all know Garrett has made mistakes, and Jerry knows that we all know that.

So his reasoning that Garrett will benefit from his experiences/growing pains is pretty much the only place he has to go in trying to convince Garrett's doubters that he's our best choice for the present and future.

I honestly don't think Jerry cares whether or not people doubt Garrett.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's fascinating.

People post comment after comment for days, weeks, and months straight saying Jerry Jones will fire Jason Garrett if this or that does not happen and when he will eventually kick Garrett to the curb.

Practically every comment comes from that person's belief in what they would do. Very very very very rarely does a comment originate from what they should think he will actually say after 25 years of Jerryspeak.

Next thing you know, like clockwork, Jones says something exactly opposite what they want him to say publicly. Then people go hyper what the...

Will people ever learn?

It's not a rhetorical question. lol.

Califan007

Reaction score
That's exactly my point.

And if you're smart enough to ignore his comments, there's no way he can sell you. You sit back and laugh at the poor saps who take these things seriously. Fortunately for Jerry, fans love his team so the team sells itself.

The ones who aren't smart enough to ignore his comments will either be sold or they'll simply feel their blood pressure rise. But even those guys aren't going anywhere. They'll keep tuning in because that's what fans do.

How I interpreted your post was this way:

Jerry's main job is to sell you on this year's team.

So he really has to say things like this.

Smart fans won't listen to him because they know he's full of hot air, but will remain Cowboys fans anyway since the team sells itself. Dumber fans will listen to him and get all bothered, but remain Cowboys fans no matter what Jerry says since the team sells itself.

So Jerry's main job is actually irrelevant.

And he really doesn't have to say things like this.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

Which would be good if Garrett didn't continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.