Adult Language Jesse Holley Patrick Crayton episode

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Its not becuase you guys are revising history. Post retirement you guys have raised Romo to the status of Staubach or Aikman. Even to the point of people saying Troy only won rings because of the team around him.

Romo has played with hall of famers and was going 8-8. We aren't talking about winning a SB we are simply talking about getting to the playoffs and winning a game or two.
Not me. I'm not nor ever have been in the "you guys" group that raised him to a HOF level.

But he was better than some here give him credit for.
They remember the 5-6 truly awful games in every-minute detail games and seem to forget the really strong ones that vastly outnumber the bad.

Old news at this point.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I didn't think I'd listen for more than two minutes, but I'm nearly an hour into it LOL.

A few highlights:

* Parcells' implementation of situational practice situations developed a certain mentality within the team
* Few worked as hard as TO. For Crayton, Key and TG taught him how to be a pro. He might be expected only to learn the Z position, but he was taught by the vets before him to "learn everything -- know the game like a QB." He got to a point where he knew the blocking schemes, what all receiver positions were doing, etc.
* He talks about Romo and Witten drawing up plays on the side. Things boiled over in the Pittsburgh loss in (09?) when Romo's pick-six lost the game. He forced it to Witten on a play that was designed to go outside. TO verbally went at Romo on the plane ride home.
* When a receiver starts throwing shade at the QB, they get shipped out of Dallas. Happened to TO, Crayton ... and you see CeeDee doing it now with Dak. "And now his mom is involved" -- or something along those lines.
* Crayton and Holley both talk about how Garrett was a liar. He sabotaged Wade and changed the playbook when Wade was fired.
* Rookie Dez was late to practice, would miss practice, would sleep in meetings, etc. Talks about the infamous "carry my pads" scene with he and Roy. They agree his talent was unreal but he never even attempted to learn routes until the very end of his career when it was too late.
* Dez was a "Jerry pick." When you're a "Jerry pick," there's nothing anyone can do to you.

My spin: Not a good listen if you're fully on the "Buy into us in 2024" train. :laugh:
Also the fact Romo was changing protection schemes that screw up the offense and caused confusion.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Cowboys Zone if it existed in the 1990s:

Both Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach have 11 postseason wins. Troy won three Super Bowls. Roger won two but was on teams that went to five. Who is better?

Cowboys Zone today:

Tony Romo was 2-4 in the playoffs over ten seasons. That makes him better than Dak Prescott, who is 2-5 in only eight seasons.

This is what we have become.
My how the mighty have fallen. We’ve resigned ourselves to debating who the better 2-win playoff QB was.

I find this forced swing in perspective quite amusing.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not me. I'm not nor ever have been in the "you guys" group that raised him to a HOF level.

But he was better than some here give him credit for.
They remember the 5-6 truly awful games in every-minute detail games and seem to forget the really strong ones that vastly outnumber the bad.

Old news at this point.
Yeah but you know the deal you are judged by rings not regular season comebacks….

coult44

Reaction score
That mentality is long gone. We don't fight for anything on this team.
If anyone thinks that an iron fist is the way to coach in today’s NFL, you’re as lost as Jerry. It just doesn’t fly anymore. There are only a few more coaches even in college who can get away with the old school coaching philosophy and mentality. Even in high schools, the best athletes will leave the program and even head to another state if the coaches are too old school. You have to know that, I hope .

lostar2009

Reaction score
Because he didn't win the Super Bowl ?????? Because I called and still do call him a winner.

Calling Tony Romo a loser I just can't take those people seriously. They just aren't serious I get the whole we are the Dallas Cowboys Schtick, the standard is the Super Bowl , blah blah bligedy blah blah

Over compensating, Faux Machismo B.S. but I'm too old to take these people seriously.
He was one.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
I can't wait for the Terence Williams podcast with Special guest Noah Brown in 2027 when Prescott is the NFLPA President :laugh: :laugh:
TWill was better than most of these guys here, but jesus he had some boneheaded plays, him not goin out of bound in that giants game lol.
But he had some crazy clutch catches.

Also its still just as funny as ever seeing the same posters praise/hate for one qb, to do the exact opposite for the other qb in the same criteria. Hypocrisy is a hell of a drug here lol.

Overall interesting info from Crayton, but man i still hate him for that playoff derp

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
yes.....loser. that's why as soon as Parcells left after being told by a hall of fame legend not to be a celebrity qb (obviously unless you win a ring) what does he do the very next year? Chase a famous celebrity like the loser that he is. I don't give a crap what you take serious. *** are you?
Anyone who calls Romo a loser is a hater. That term has never been used to mean “didn’t win or even reach a Super Bowl” or whatever negative criteria is arbitrarily applied offhand to diminish someone because you don’t like him for whatever reason. Also, Romo haters are living in delusion whenever they bring up nonsense about Parcells’ opinion of him:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Anyone who calls Romo a loser is a hater. That term has never been used to mean “didn’t win or even reach a Super Bowl” or whatever negative criteria is arbitrarily applied offhand to diminish someone because you don’t like him for whatever reason. Also, Romo haters are living in delusion whenever they bring up nonsense about Parcells’ opinion of him:

:hammer:

There's a learning curve for all players and especially QBs

I still like the old Belichick quote that Romo was one of his "football IQ filters" in conversations.
If they thought Romo was a choker or bad, he didn't think they were worth talking to about football.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

Wasn’t that win or go home stat made up just to dog Romo? I could be thinking of another one, but I vaguely remember the media doing some ish like that. You don’t hear about that stat much anymore.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
:hammer:

There's a learning curve for all players and especially QBs

I still like the old Belichick quote that Romo was one of his "football IQ filters" in conversations.
If they thought Romo was a choker or bad, he didn't think they were worth talking to about football.

2 HOF SB winning coaches giving praise to Romo… What do those 2 losers know? We have people on this board smarter than those 2 old bozo’s. :cool:

It was a travesty they didn’t let him compete for his job back. Dak been coddled and protected since he’s been here. I would’ve put everything I owned on Romo to win that job back if given the chance. No doubt in my mind.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Romo was propelled into a HOF after he retired. :laugh:
This place hasn't been able to get over Romo retiring.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is what happens when players don’t expect to get the football. They take the play off. Tony Romo, BFF, Jason Witten people thought he was going to get the football again coaching.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I TOLD YALL!!!!! Romo and Witten single handedly cost us a shot at sbs. Selfish, leaderless locker room.

@Idgit I kno is crying about hearing about jason garrett being a huge scum bag lol

DFWJC

Reaction score
2 HOF SB winning coaches giving praise to Romo… What do those 2 losers know? We have people on this board smarter than those 2 old bozo’s. :cool:

It was a travesty they didn’t let him compete for his job back. Dak been coddled and protected since he’s been here. I would’ve put everything I owned on Romo to win that job back if given the chance. No doubt in my mind.
Of course he was good.

Now, I'm not in the Romo HOF camp. Always thought he needed 4-5 more good years and/or more team playoff success

But look at any "normalized" All-time NFL career passer rating top 25 and he will be on it.
By normalized, I mean era-adjusted. So guys like Montana and Staubach move way up near the top, for example

Those lists are entirely filled with HOFers (or future HOFers like Rogers, Brees, Brady, Mahomes).
Guys like Warner, Otto Graham, Dawson, Tarkenton, Unitas, Mariono...etc.etc...

The only two on it that aren't HOFers or future HOFers are Ken Anderson and Tony Romo (17th in the last one I saw)

But again, I don't think he will be an HOFer, just saying he was better than may realize.

Creeper

Reaction score
No.... Cowboys never had 13 ALL PRO

If you are referring to that comically weird Pro Bowl that fans voted for in mid-season back then...yes.

ALL PRO is light years harder to make than that silly Pro Bowl

That team DID have 2-3 ALL PROs though... which is still very good.
This year's team had NINE ALL-PROS, just for comparison

But anyway, obviously Romo 2014 was much better than Romo 2007. I mean, clearly.
QBs generally get better once they played a few years in the league
Using 2007 as a gauge of Romo is a bit silly
2015 isn't a good gauge of Dak either, for example.
According to Pro-football Reference the Cowboys had 6 players named all-pro. TO, Witten, Andre Gurode, Leonard Davis and Flozell Adams on offense and Demarcus Ware on defense.

7 other were selected to the pro-bowl, Ken Hamlin, Terence Newman, Tony Romo, Roy Williams (S), Nick Folk, Marion Barber, and Greg Ellis.

Of course making the pro-bowl is not the same as being named all pro but it still implies they were good players.

The Cowboys had a really good team that year. They seriously underachieved.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Of course he was good.

Now, I'm not in the Romo HOF camp. Always thought he needed 4-5 more good years and/or more team playoff success

But look at any "normalized" All-time NFL career passer rating top 25 and he will be on it.
By normalized, I mean era-adjusted. So guys like Montana and Staubach move way up near the top, for example

Those lists are entirely filled with HOFers (or future HOFers like Rogers, Brees, Brady, Mahomes).
Guys like Warner, Otto Graham, Dawson, Tarkenton, Unitas, Mariono...etc.etc...

The only two on it that aren't HOFers or future HOFers are Ken Anderson and Tony Romo (17th in the last one I saw)

But again, I don't think he will be an HOFer, just saying he was better than may realize.
I’m not on the Romo is a HOFer train. He needed more in the playoffs and he needed at least another 2-3 years. Had he got to compete for the job back in 16 I think he plays another 2-3 years.

DFWJC

Reaction score
This is what happens when players don’t expect to get the football. They take the play off. Tony Romo, BFF, Jason Witten people thought he was going to get the football again coaching.
Crayton got the football a lot. Way more than a crap WR like him deserved.
All WRs think they should get the football more.
And that historically disastrous 2007 playoff performance by Crayton was long before what they were talking about in this video.

As for Romo, well, it was his first full year starting. He was good, but he was much better by 2014.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.