Jets may be interested in P. Manning for OC; DAL should be bidding

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Then that's an incredible stretch.

Sorry, but the truth is that the networks can't even get Manning to work 3 days a week for half the year in a broadcast booth. For anyone to think that he would instead take less money to go to the never-ending grind of coaching, for less money?

An epic reach.
Agreed - but saw the news (I grew up in NY, a lot of my friends are Jets fans) and figured heck, why wouldn't we be interested?

On the latter point you made; it doesn't need to be for less money... there is no salary cap on coaches.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If there is anyone on the planet who can turn Dak into a better pocket passer, who better than the best pocket passer of all-time?
Sorry but Dak is not Romo. You want a pure pocket passer. Might as well draft for a pure pocket passer, which isn't happening since Dak is going nowhere. Jerry and Stephen are all in on Dak and his style of play.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He was the one who called up the Jets ownership and GM to recommend Gase for the job, so that's definitely a potential reason.

Exactly. I also think guys like him that are special do not always make the best coaches. Not every QB has a photographic memory. But If he found the right QB that could really absorb his knowledge, I'd imagine that would be special.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Sorry but Dak is not Romo. You want a pure pocket passer. Might as well draft for a pure pocket passer, which isn't happening since Dak is going nowhere. Jerry and Stephen are all in on Dak and his style of play.
Not disputing that at all - just saying that Manning can make him a better pocket passer, which is the weakest part of Dak's game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed - but saw the news (I grew up in NY, a lot of my friends are Jets fans) and figured heck, why wouldn't we be interested?

On the latter point you made; it doesn't need to be for less money... there is no salary cap on coaches.

No there isn't, but teams don't pay coordinators more than their head coaches. And that's what this would take.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but this isn't happening. Not in NY or anyplace else.

Like the articles said, maybe he shows up for a few days during the summer to give some advice to Sam Darnold? Nothing more than that.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
No there isn't, but teams don't pay coordinators more than their head coaches. And that's what this would take.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but this isn't happening. Not in NY or anyplace else.

Like the articles said, maybe he shows up for a few days during the summer to give some advice to Sam Darnold? Nothing more than that.
I think you're right. I do, but if there is even the faintest interest, I am bidding.

I also think P. Manning doesn't have the "charisma" to be a great commentator - but a coach? He has exactly the mindset for that.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Not disputing that at all - just saying that Manning can make him a better pocket passer, which is the weakest part of Dak's game.
Linehan just got fired for restricting Dak's full potential and trying to make Dak one dimensional. Wasted opportunity. You can't fit a square peg into a round hole. Dak needs an OC who can get creative while using Dak's full potential, not limit it. If you want to improve Dak's footwork and ability as a passer, that's what a QB's coach is for. Instead, you are wanting to change the whole offensive philosophy. That's not happening.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you're right. I do, but if there is even the faintest interest, I am bidding.

Just like the networks, everybody would. But the guy has made over $230 million in salary alone during his playing career, and likely $50 million more in endorsements. Name me the last guy that made money like that who said "let me get into coaching, working 12-hour days all year long, for less money."

I also think P. Manning doesn't have the "charisma" to be a great commentator - but a coach? He has exactly the mindset for that.

He definitely has the mind for it, but not the desire. And again, why would he? He might get into ownership somewhere - likely the Titans - but he's not getting into coaching.

The Natural

Reaction score
Lol @ thinking he’d come here and work under this shmuck Garrett. The Gase connection is the only link to the NY job.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
He did run one in against us for a TD and with him that is very hard to do. So he is offensive minded.

ksadler1

Reaction score

The big question here is, why would Peyton be interested in working for Jerry and his dysfunctional circus act?

JBS

Reaction score
Peyton was a pure pocket QB who ran a pro-style offense. How would that help Dak and this offense? Might as well have kept Linehan if one is interested in Peyton Manning as an OC.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board...and this board is full of stupidity

Man...Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes are so similar in their playing styles..what a great fit

Carson

Reaction score
I don’t buy it.

Alll of the jobs he could get and the Jets???

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Peyton tried to be the de facto OC when he was injured with the Colts when he was out with neck surgery. Their offense was as bad as ours in 2015.

Great players often find it tough to translate what made them great to those with lesser talent. Being 6-6 with a cannon for an arm makes a lot of throws easier.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
Manning has one of the greatest offensive minds of all-time, with the talent to be a pure pocket QB. I'd give him a shot, and if I were Jerry, I'd pay a premium to do it.

Wasn't there a multi-year stretch with the Colts where he was basically calling his own plays?
Manning isn’t half as good as Brady. And now mahomes Rodgers watson are on pace to break all his records playing background football