Jets release players

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
If there is value in the 2nd round I can see using a day 1 pick. I'd rather see us fix the interior line with day 1 picks, but not in the 1st round.

You bet.

Take the best lineman avaible period in round 2. G or T.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The other variable here is Rogers. The kid could suprise. He does have talent.

And taking that into account how many tackles does this team need?

Right now I'd say Flozell and Petitti are "locks"

We've got 2 spaces left...

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'm more concerned about OG and C than I am OT. Maybe that's off but I don't see why. Look at the age of our OGs. Look at Rivera's injuries. Look at LA's cap hit. Look at our our options to replace them.

I'd love to get Latui of USC in the 2nd round. I'd definitely pay Bentley some good money to come here.

With Flo back and Rivera hopefully healthy and motivated to redeem himself (high character guy, I think he can) and Bentley replacing Al "Watch for the Fist Pump" Johnson plus a more experienced Petitti we'd have a solid line.

Our tackles gave up more sacks than any other tackles in the league and tucker only played 10 games!!

Tackle is a serious dillemma! Flo looked average this season when he did play and was at best average last year.

We need tackles, whether its columbo proving to be a capable backup to flo, pettiti, rogers and fabini possibly on the other side, or whoever we need tackles.

Good tackle play will allow witten in more passing routes, that will open up more options for bledsoe allowing him to throw the ball quicker.

With our two tight end one back offense that we run, good tackle play will allow our tight ends to block down field more and get on linebackers quicker in running plays and allow both of them to slip out on passing plays, again getting the ball out of bledsoes hand quicker.

Now al johnson struggled all year and rivera struggled all year, teams stunted constantly at rivera and he struggled with that, hopefully a full healthy offseason will help him.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
The other variable here is Rogers. The kid could suprise. He does have talent.

And taking that into account how many tackles does this team need?

Right now I'd say Flozell and Petitti are "locks"

We've got 2 spaces left...

Correct.....Colombo = cheap upside, Fabini = known quantity on both sides.

And he bridges gap to Petiti being ready w/o slowing down his learning curve.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theebs said:
Our tackles gave up more sacks than any other tackles in the league and tucker only played 10 games!!

Tackle is a serious dillemma! Flo looked average this season when he did play and was at best average last year.

We need tackles, whether its columbo proving to be a capable backup to flo, pettiti, rogers and fabini possibly on the other side, or whoever we need tackles.

Good tackle play will allow witten in more passing routes, that will open up more options for bledsoe allowing him to throw the ball quicker.

With our two tight end one back offense that we run, good tackle play will allow our tight ends to block down field more and get on linebackers quicker in running plays and allow both of them to slip out on passing plays, again getting the ball out of bledsoes hand quicker.

Now al johnson struggled all year and rivera struggled all year, teams stunted constantly at rivera and he struggled with that, hopefully a full healthy offseason will help him.

Our tackles gave up the most sacks for 2 reasons...

1. They played poorly in pass protection.
2. They protect a QB that has a propensity for sacks. Any other QB back there and I'm willing to bet that our sacks drop by 25%.

Is that number still acceptable? No. But I there is no way that Petitti performs at a level in pass protection in '06 like he did in '05. There will be improvement there.

Like I said in my previous post, we've got room for 4 tackles and Adams and Petitti are locks... how many tackles you want 10-12? That's not how it works. And one of those remaining 2 spots will probably be a 2nd or 3rd draft pick this year. And if the remaining spot goes to Rogers, which wouldn't shock me then we do not have any remaining spots available.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rush 2112 said:
Correct.....Colombo = cheap upside, Fabini = known quantity on both sides.

And he bridges gap to Petiti being ready w/o slowing down his learning curve.

And what about Rogers?

You've got 4 spots Rush. 4. And Adams and Petitti have two of them.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Pettiti is a 6th round draft pick who disgressed as the season went on. He's not a lock to make the roster next year.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Pettiti is a 6th round draft pick who disgressed as the season went on. He's not a lock to make the roster next year.

If he has to beat out Tucker and Columbo to do so, then I think he will without a problem

Rush 2112

Reaction score
What about Rogers?

Been burnt twice. We know how that party ends.

Colombo/Rogers.....one of them stays.

I've got my guess. Not really a guess.

Can you really see BP adding a 2-3 to Flo and 2 virtual unknowns in Petiti and one of Colombo/Rogers?

Let's pretend it's your world and it's Flo, Petiti, Rogers and take your pick in 2-3.

Our bottom 3 OT's combine for how many NFL starts?

The number would be 16 (all by Petiti).

Come on!!!

Wake up!!!!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi said:

I think the chances are better that he stays.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Our tackles gave up the most sacks for 2 reasons...

1. They played poorly in pass protection.
2. They protect a QB that has a propensity for sacks. Any other QB back there and I'm willing to bet that our sacks drop by 25%.

Is that number still acceptable? No. But I there is no way that Petitti performs at a level in pass protection in '06 like he did in '05. There will be improvement there.

Like I said in my previous post, we've got room for 4 tackles and Adams and Petitti are locks... how many tackles you want 10-12? That's not how it works. And one of those remaining 2 spots will probably be a 2nd or 3rd draft pick this year. And if the remaining spot goes to Rogers, which wouldn't shock me then we do not have any remaining spots available.

Ok qualifying why they struggled is fine. I would like to add that pettiti was banged up in the second half of the season and played very poorly. Now if you think he would be better that is cool. I hope he will be better. He can play but was very inconsistent.

As far as how many tackles do I want? 10-12? Not sure where that comes from but Assuming rogers is on the roster at camp, and fabini is signed and after listening to norm this morning I would think that there is a very good chance that is being worked on right now. So having said that I would imagine fabini, pettiti and adams are locks. Then you have columbo, columbo lacked strength and did not play because of that reason. Parcells said vividly twice in pc's last year that because of his injuries he was not allowed to train properly and needed a full year of training. So to me that means that he will be evaluated in camp and I wouldnt be suprised if he gets cut if he is struggling. It wouldnt suprise me one bit. He didnt cost anything and he is a long shot.

So if we draft a tackle and I would think we have too then that is 5 minus whoever gets cut. Thats 4 after camp. That is what we will carry. Assuming rogers cant make the roster, with fabini and a draft pick there is no reason to believe he will make the team.

Another thing too, I think bledsoe has been to blame alot in his career because of holding on to the ball. I have seen him play live ironically in every single season he has ever played in!!! Anyway, he is to blame, but normally he gets attacked and hit in the middle of the line. And although rivera and johnson struggled most of the sacks were the result of tucker or pettiti missing an assignment or in pettiti's case just whiffing on his guy.

We have to improve at tackle no matter what.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
I agree with this 100%. Please tell me why Bill Parcells absolutely CANNOT do this with Rob Petitti. It amazes me the hypocrisy. He can work magic except with this kid. Why? Because his dad posts here?

Rob Petitti is a smart kid. He also apparently has a lot of heart to play through injuries last year. A smart kid with heart. Yeah let's get that guy off the field and quit trying.

I don't get it. Especially given the fact his run blocking grades were pretty darn good.

Does he need work? Especially on footwork? Yes, even his father said that.

There's no hypocrisy here. I'd love to see Rob develop, and firmly believe he'll be a starter for us for a long time. But there's no reason why this can't be done with a solid vet on the roster. An OT configuration with two veterans, two young players, and some low round developmental players from big schools is the best way to solve the current tackle problem for a team that's expecting playoffs.

That said, I don't want to gamble the improvement of our tackle play for next year on whether or not Rob does what we expect him to. If he shows comparable ability with more upside than any competition, he'll get his playing time. It might even make him work harder. If not, Parcells can always rotate tackles if he wants to see what he's got; he does it with C, of all things.

As for the draft, I'd like to see a trade down for an ILB or BPA in round 1. I'd be exstatic with Latui in round 2, and would expect some manuevering to get a tackle or two in rounds 5,6,7.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
Haven't we already lived through the phase where we target backups with first day picks?

That didn't turn out so well.

If you have a chance to upgrade w/o impeding the progress of the youngsters you do it.

Petiti has a chance to be good down the road.

Learning from Fabini for a year or 2 isn't going to derail his progress.

We needed quality depth at OT going into last year.

Drafting a guy first day puts us right back where we were with Tucker.

How game ready is that 2nd rounder going to be sharing reps with Flo, Petiti, Colombo and Rogers? And that assumes Tucker is gone before mini-camps/training camp.

We need a microwaveable OT that can start on either side with the blink of an eye.
I say our OGs are aging and you assume I want to draft Latui as a backup? Maybe for 1 year, but I'm not drafting him to be a backup at all. I expect this to be Larry's last year.

Tucker was drafted to be a backup? When did that happen?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rush 2112 said:
What about Rogers?

Been burnt twice. We know how that party ends.

Colombo/Rogers.....one of them stays.

I've got my guess. Not really a guess.

Can you really see BP adding a 2-3 to Flo and 2 virtual unknowns in Petiti and one of Colombo/Rogers?

Let's pretend it's your world and it's Flo, Petiti, Rogers and take your pick in 2-3.

Our bottom 3 OT's combine for how many NFL starts?

The number would be 16 (all by Petiti).

Come on!!!

Wake up!!!!

You look around and see how many starts the bottom 2 tackles for every other team in the NFL have.

I think you'll be surprised. ;)

I'll have some Tang for ya when you get downstairs for breakfast.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Idgit said:
There's no hypocrisy here. I'd love to see Rob develop, and firmly believe he'll be a starter for us for a long time. But there's no reason why this can't be done with a solid vet on the roster. An OT configuration with two veterans, two young players, and some low round developmental players from big schools is the best way to solve the current tackle problem for a team that's expecting playoffs.

That said, I don't want to gamble the improvement of our tackle play for next year on whether or not Rob does what we expect him to. If he shows comparable ability with more upside than any competition, he'll get his playing time. It might even make him work harder. If not, Parcells can always rotate tackles if he wants to see what he's got; he does it with C, of all things.

As for the draft, I'd like to see a trade down for an ILB or BPA in round 1. I'd be exstatic with Latui in round 2, and would expect some manuevering to get a tackle or two in rounds 5,6,7.
It goes back to what I said originally. I'm all in favor of upgrading OT on this team. I won't be that excited if this upgrade means Jason Fabini.

Not once have I said I don't want to improve the depth of OT on this team. I just am not excited about Fabini as an option. Why should I be?

Not sure how this keeps getting spun.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile said:
It goes back to what I said originally. I'm all in favor of upgrading OT on this team. I won't be that excited if this upgrade means Jason Fabini.

Not once have I said I don't want to improve the depth of OT on this team. I just am not excited about Fabini as an option. Why should I be?

The only reason its an issue is because people are so adamantly against it, but aren't coming up with any alternatives.

Talking out of two sides of their mouth. "I don't want Fabini....too old." "I don't want to draft someone." "The free agent class is weak." "I'd draft a guard."

How exactly does tackle get fixed?

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
You look around and see how many starts the bottom 2 tackles for every other team in the NFL have.

I think you'll be surprised. ;)

I'll have some Tang for ya when you get downstairs for breakfast.

So what is your solution?

Have the Cowboys front office sit on their hands and wait for the magical tackle fairy to leave a guy under their pillow? (yep......have fun with that sentence....the jokes write themselves)

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I say our OGs are aging and you assume I want to draft Latui as a backup? Maybe for 1 year, but I'm not drafting him to be a backup at all. I expect this to be Larry's last year.

Tucker was drafted to be a backup? When did that happen?

Uh......Tucker sucked at OT last year.

Understand?

I did not say we drafted Tucker.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:

People are getting confused because you're posting that one reason you don't want to sign Fabini is because it would take development opportunity away from Pettiti.

We can agree to disagree as to whether or not Fabini's the right FA answer. I do think you're going to have to get used to the idea of him in a Cowboy uniform, though.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
junk said:
The only reason its an issue is because people are so adamantly against it, but aren't coming up with any alternatives.

Talking out of two sides of their mouth. "I don't want Fabini....too old." "I don't want to draft someone." "The free agent class is weak." "I'd draft a guard."

How exactly does tackle get fixed?

No kidding. All you have to do is take 30 seconds to go down the list of options. I don't see any Anthony Munoz types on the list. People seem to agree it's a priority but when rubber meets road all the FA choices are greeted with "but not him" for a variety of mostly legitimate reasons. Draft pick? Well even if you ignore the very strong possibility that BP won't want to start another rookie RT you have a groupd of 5 top tackles, only 1 of which is clear cut worth the 18th pick (and will be gone top 5), but by the same token will likely be long gone by pick 48. So the solution is....