Jets release players

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I think I am banking on a lot of things Junk.

1. Flozell returning healthy.

2. Rivera actually being healthy. I really don't think he was.

3. Petitti being healthy and spending this off season learning how to be a RT instead of a backup LT moved to RT because of an emergency.

4. Jacob Rogers having a little pride and actually being better than Tucker.

5. I'd love to believe we will address Center in Free Agency. The fist pump really got to me. 3 games before they caught it? Count me on the Bentley bandwagon I suppose. I consider him a solution, not a band aid.

6. As mentioned I like the idea of Latui in the 2nd. If we lose Marco or LA I like him better than Peterman or Gurode. Plus it is for the future.

7. I'd draft an OT when the draft board says it is the BPA and not think twice about it.

I don't hold with the Chicken Little predictions that we need to replace 4 of our 5 OL, and right away. I don't agree with it at all. I would replace C. I'd solidify behind the other 4 unless a great player is available or takes the job. I suppose if you asked me point blank what OT I'd love to get I'd say Ashworth. In truth I'd like to see Washington have to cut Samuels and steal him.

I think the excitement over Fabini some are showing is about his ties to Parcells more than his abilities. I keep seeing Ryan Young part deux. How many games did he miss in 2005? I want to say 11. It just doesn't excite me.

Edit...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/playerStats?categoryId=70349

He missed 7 games in 2005.

So, you are ready to roll the dice? Counting on a lot of iffy things there. Counting on Jacob Rogers for anything at this point is a risky proposition. Counting on a guy to improve that got manhandled all year is pretty risky too.

Center was far less of a problem than both tackle spots.

Where have I advocated replacing 4 of 5 lineman? I am advocating upgrading RT with an available, hopefully affordable, veteran who has proven he can get the job done in this league. Essentially filling the team's biggest hole on offense.

I'd love Bentley too, but its highly unlikely. He is going to command at least a $10 million SB.

How many games did Fabini miss prior to last year?

Personally, I'm not overly impressed with Mr. Five Layers of Security myself. I think he is a fill in that is going to cash in at the right time and wasn't ever all that talented to begin with.

Compare the Jets line 2004 (with a healthy Fabini) vs. 2005. Something to consider.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Ryan Young Part II...

Yeah, that's about right.

Except Fabini doesn't have gimpy knees and has played on both the left and right sides.

Dallas is still reeling from the cap affects of that Ryan Young deal. :rolleyes:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk said:
So, you are ready to roll the dice? Counting on a lot of iffy things there. Counting on Jacob Rogers for anything at this point is a risky proposition. Counting on a guy to improve that got manhandled all year is pretty risky too.

Center was far less of a problem than both tackle spots.

Where have I advocated replacing 4 of 5 lineman? I am advocating upgrading RT with an available, hopefully affordable, veteran who has proven he can get the job done in this league. Essentially filling the team's biggest hole on offense.

I'd love Bentley too, but its highly unlikely. He is going to command at least a $10 million SB.

How many games did Fabini miss prior to last year?

Personally, I'm not overly impressed with Mr. Five Layers of Security myself. I think he is a fill in that is going to cash in at the right time and wasn't ever all that talented to begin with.

Compare the Jets line 2004 (with a healthy Fabini) vs. 2005. Something to consider.
I'd rather have 1 Bentley with a big contract and 7 or more years left in him than a bandaid at RT and C who together don't cost as much but who will need to be replaced in a year because they are ineffective.

Yes, overall, I am ready to roll the dice.

If I had my druthers we'd clone the OL from 1994. Since that isn't possible I'm at least looking for resonable without breaking the team or keeping it held in check. I don't agree with the assessments of Petitti. Therein lies the problem many are having with me in this discussion.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
I don't agree with the assessments of Petitti. Therein lies the problem many are having with me in this discussion.

And that's exactly where the problems are...

If you don't think Petitti can do the job you are willing to "band aid" the line together with another guy that's in his mid 100's that is coming off a major injury.

If you do think Petitti can do the job then Adams and Petitti will be the starters with Rogers, Tucker, Columbo and maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year competing for the last 2 spots.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
This is essentially weighing possibilities.

I think the possibility that Rob Pettiti or Jacob Rogers turing into competent 16 game right tackle next year is less likely than Jason Fabini putting us into cap hell.

lspain1

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

I think the possibility that Rob Pettiti or Jacob Rogers turing into competent 16 game right tackle next year is less likely than Jason Fabini putting us into cap hell.

I'm with you Roshi. Getting Fabini also doesn't mean that Rogers and/or Petitti won't turn into decent tackles. I just don't see the downside.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
But Petitti's blocking for the run was capable.

I think you're over-reacting.

I don't think "capable" run blocking makes up for allowing 2 sacks per game. If a LDE faced Pettiti for an entire 16 game season at that rate, he would have a 32 sack season.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi said:
I don't think "capable" run blocking makes up for allowing 2 sacks per game. If a LDE faced Pettiti for an entire 16 game season at that rate, he would have a 32 sack season.

The fact is that Pettiti didn't give up 32 sacks last season unless you have different stats that I do.

And if you honestly believe that he won't improve in year 2 then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

I'm not talking about Cap Hell. I haven't insinuated that 1 time. I have my doubts we'll get a fair return on the investment, just like 2005 wasn't a fair return on Rivera. He'll probably be signed, be great and I'll eat crow. So what? Tastes like chicken. At least I have the nads to express my own ideas and not sing the school fight song.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

If you don't think Petitti can do the job you are willing to "band aid" the line together with another guy that's in his mid 100's that is coming off a major injury.

If you do think Petitti can do the job then Adams and Petitti will be the starters with Rogers, Tucker, Columbo and maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year competing for the last 2 spots.
I'm trying to be realistic about what the team will do so that I don't get all butt sore when they don't go get the options I want.

If we add Fabini and he plays well, then great. No one will be happier than I will.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
I'm not talking about Cap Hell. I haven't insinuated that 1 time. I have my doubts we'll get a fair return on the investment, just like 2005 wasn't a fair return on Rivera. He'll probably be signed, be great and I'll eat crow. So what? Tastes like chicken. At least I have the nads to express my own ideas and not sing the school fight song.

HEY! HEY! HEY!

Inman types it!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

I'd much rather see Petitti earning the job as a backup at this stage and if that means getting a vet in here then so be it because waiting until the season starts and then finding out he is not up to the job is too late. Tucker unless they can move him to gaurd I would have no issue at all seeing him cut after training camp. I don't think it is a good ideal walking into the season with what we had last year

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'd rather have 1 Bentley with a big contract and 7 or more years left in him than a bandaid at RT and C who together don't cost as much but who will need to be replaced in a year because they are ineffective.

Yes, overall, I am ready to roll the dice.

If I had my druthers we'd clone the OL from 1994. Since that isn't possible I'm at least looking for resonable without breaking the team or keeping it held in check. I don't agree with the assessments of Petitti. Therein lies the problem many are having with me in this discussion.

Lots of good points being made all around...

And I think people are going Puke when I say this...but it is necessary to make the point I wish to make...It all comes back to the QB...

It is imperative that the center and the 2 guards be rock solid... so Bentley isn't even a wish it is a MUST...

but Rivera absolutely sucked last year and LA should be called 50/50 because he was very good 50% of the time and awful the other 50%

I believe in Rob but it has got to get better over there and Flo is always good for a hold and a false start and really is nothing very special...

I don't know how chicken little that is... but if these guys don't start playing better...The Cowboys don't stand a snowball's chance...but like I said before I think Drew B puts way too much pressure on a o-line...

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Who's singing the school fight song? I'm the one pointing out that one of our young players is woefully inadequate, likely will not amount to much, and you guys are the ones with the rose colored glasses insisting that he's much better than he really showed. You guys are wanting to bet the season on a compensation-6th round draft pick who led the league in sacks allowed, because you think he's going to make a Herculian jump in progress in an offseason... and you're the "realist"?

Gives up 10 sacks in 5 games, but at least his run blocking is "capable"? If that isn't the epitomy of drinking the Kool-Aid.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi said:
Who's singing the school fight song? I'm the one pointing out that one of our young players is woefully inadequate, likely will not amount to much, and you guys are the ones with the rose colored glasses.

Gives up 10 sacks in 5 games, but at least his run blocking is "capable"?

OR doing it your way he gave up 3.5 sacks in 11 games. :nana:

superpunk

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
Lots of good points being made all around...

And I think people are going Puke when I say this...but it is necessary to make the point I wish to make...It all comes back to the QB...
:ralph::ralph::ralph::ralph:

We get it....Bledsoe is the devil....isn't it time to change your picture of Bledsoe getting sacked for the umpteenth time?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
superpunk said:

We get it....Bledsoe is the devil....isn't it time to change your picture of Bledsoe getting sacked for the umpteenth time?

I agree with you. I'm seeing other QB's getting more time in the pocket than Drew does yet it is all Bledsoe fault.

superpunk

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree with you. I'm seeing other QB's getting more time in the pocket that Drew does yet it is all Bledsoe fault.

Bottom line, we ALL know where Drew is weak. YES, he holds onto the ball too much at times. YES, he will force it some times. YES, he pats the ball so much, that the anxiety built up inside me makes me want to explode. Even with those shortcomings, IF you can give him some time - we're not talking excessive time here, just some - he can pick a defense apart. This blind dislike for the player who was the top ranked passer in the NFC for most of the season, with blocking that was getting progressively worse, and NO running game, is mind-boggling to me.

He can help this team, but this team needs to help him first.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk said:

Come'on!

The devil?

Nah.

Slightly demonic?

Well... :)