News: Jim Brown has passed

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Reading the stories of his history this morning in the papers these two facts stood out.

In High school he averaged 14.9 yards a carry and scored 55 points in one game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He took up golf which was tough in the 50’s and 60’s since most like him weren’t allowed on golf courses. While playing with Jack Nicklaus in the Cleveland Pro-Am in 1963 he shot a 79.

gtb1943

Reaction score
There is no doubt that weighing 235 lbs and being that strong and fast in a time in the NFL when most linemen were not much bigger, and most LBs were smaller, he had a serious physical advantage.

But if you ever get a chance to watch some of his games...

I think many of us remember that clip of Earl Campbell against the Rams running over player and player: Jim Brown did that ALL THE TIME.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Gale Sayers was the greatest open field runner I ever saw. Walter Payton maybe the most complete back. Sanders incredible also in the open field. Emmitt in crunch time unmatched.
But I still say the greatest running back I ever saw was Jim Brown.
It costs some money but you can get DVD's of a lot of the games from the 60's that show more than highlights. Sadly not much earlier; so players like Don Hutson and so on, Bronko Nagurski, etc is not there which is a terrible shame. Bronko was incredible in his time as well. Don Hutson a great QB who held punting records until Ray Guy. So much of the NFL history collects dust sadly.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
My dad got to see him play in High School. I bet he was pretty dominant.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jim Brown ran when it was a running game and the defenses knew he was getting the ball. He was the greatest RB if all time.

What I liked best about him was he was his own man. A lot of people didn't want to hear what he had to say but all should have listened.

My favorite movie clip of his was in "Any Given Sunday" when he was in the bar with Pacino and talking about how the game had changed and he was going back to high school football. He pretty much summarized my slide from passion to passive about the NFL

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Jim Brown - big as a lineman but with blazing speed... the greatest ever...the closest thing physically today would be Derrick Henry.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RIP Jim.

A friend of mine, has a place mat with many of the Browns autographs on it. He had it digitally scanned in and gave me a few copies.

His mom worked at a diner across from the old Browns stadium. And all the players and coaches would come in for breakfast or lunch. So at different times she had them autograph this place mat.
Jim Brown was one of them. Probably a good 30 autographs on it.

Motorola

Reaction score
Jim Brown was Sweetness well before SWEETNESS. He became the standard by which all runners were measured after he retired. PERIOD. Im gonna enjoy my weekend guys, watching JB films/ games.
Same here, Rayman70.