Jimmy Johnson back in the fold? (Update Post 106)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Micah might be moved to another team if Jimmy were still here. If there is a big trade to be had, I think this is it. Either he or Dak. As far as Daks salary hit, NFL teams are desperate to find a Franchise QB and all I can say is, never say never. See Deshaun Watson and the trade to Cleveland. All it takes is 1 team to convince themselves Micah or Dak is the missing piece. I'd be curious if Jerry and Jimmy had this conversation. Don't the Raiders need a QB? What about the Cardinals? Patriots? We can't pay or extend everyone. Don't forget, we did think alot of Lance, and we like Rush.
Jimmy has spoken up for dak countless times. I think you and most of this board are making this a bigger deal than it is. It’s cool that Jimmy and Jerry talk but it’s likely surface level stuff - not deep level decision making.

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How would Bear fans react if we traded Micah to them in exchange for Fields? Then we could package Dak to Atlanta for picks. The Bear fans would be giddy thinking they just got Mike Singletary lol. They don't want Fields anyway.
How would Cowboys fans react would be the better question, because if all we got for Micah was Fields, we got absolutely fleeced. Also, Dak would have to agree to be traded to the Falcons, and highly doubt that would happen.

I mean we can complain about Micah (as we do) but he is one of only three players in NFL history to get 12+ sacks in each of his first three season and Fields has um, well, um, done nothing to even justify his draft spot in three seasons (thus far anyway).

Wouldn't mind Fields, though I don't see much upside in that.

Verdict

Reaction score
Great news! No one better than Jimmy Johnson to give Jerry advice concerning the Dallas Cowboys.

As for those wishing Jimmy is giving Jerry advice to move on past Dak, Jerry's contract extension he will give Dak soon enough will answer your question.
I would sign Baker Mayfield to a reasonable contract and put some serious pressure on Dak. Dak would wilt before the competition even started and demand a trade. Win-win.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-cowboys-jerry-jones-after-ring-of-honor-add/

"Since the Ring of Honor, I am on his [Jerry Jones'] advisory board now," Johnson said to Joe Rose on WQAM 560 AM in Miami. "We were talking on the phone for about an hour after his Green Bay loss, and he was talking about what all he needed to do because he had big decisions on Mike McCarthy and Dan Quinn and Dak Prescott. Everything is hunky dory now. I am back in the fold with the Cowboys."
If true, this is the best new variable to happen to Jerry Jones since March 1994--even if JImmy Johnson will has the tiniest input. Hopefully, this new turn, in their old relationship, will take root and blossom. Unfortunately, Johnson must be the more cautious of the two for that to happen.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If true.

This is nothing but a good thing ........ Jimmy is not a yes man like the others Jerry surrounds himself with.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I would sign Baker Mayfield to a reasonable contract and put some serious pressure on Dak. Dak would wilt before the competition even started and demand a trade. Win-win.
Mayfield has put himself in position for a more than reasonable contract. He’s going to choose a team where he has a good chance to start. So if your plan is to try and sign Mayfield to compete with Dak, are you going to extend Dak for what will be $50M+ per season or make him play out the final year of his contract and eat his $55M cap hit? You”re going to have a difficult time signing Mayfield to a “reasonable” contract if you’re taking $55 million cap hit. Plus there won’t be enough footballs to go around to develop Trey Lance. If he doesn’t become the backup QB in 2024, you wasted a fourth round pick. You’re putting yourself into a predicament.

Rayman70

Reaction score
How would Cowboys fans react would be the better question, because if all we got for Micah was Fields, we got absolutely fleeced. Also, Dak would have to agree to be traded to the Falcons, and highly doubt that would happen.

I mean we can complain about Micah (as we do) but he is one of only three players in NFL history to get 12+ sacks in each of his first three season and Fields has um, well, um, done nothing to even justify his draft spot in three seasons (thus far anyway).

Wouldn't mind Fields, though I don't see much upside in that.
Not so sure it would be a fleecing if Fields plays well like he did the latter half of the year. He was dropping dimes and running all over the place. Sometimes a change of scenery is all they need. Can you imagine Fields with Ceedee? Fields would cost us almost nothing as opposed to Dak. Micah wants paid the bag and we simply cannot pay Dak and him, AND ceedee. Its math.Something dynamic has to happen via trades. I think it will. Daks stock is very high right now, as is Micah. Why not get a cheaper, younger QB for the future? Fields seemed to flip a switch last year and showed something. Between he and Lance, let them compete in Camp. If Jerry has the will, theres a way. All it takes is a phone call. Atlanta and the Bears to me, make alot of sense. Do the Bears REALLY wanna jump back into drafting yet another QB high on the heels of Trubisky and Fields? Thats why I think they might trade for either Micah or Dak. I would make 2 trades. Dak to ATL and Micah to the Bears for Fields. OR Micah to the Bears for the Bears 1st rounder in 2024 and 2025. The Bears throw in CB Jaylen Johnson in that scenario.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jimmy has spoken up for dak countless times. I think you and most of this board are making this a bigger deal than it is. It’s cool that Jimmy and Jerry talk but it’s likely surface level stuff - not deep level decision making.
true.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Unless Jimmy's coaching, this is just one clusterfluke and shows why we aren't sniffing a Super Bowl in the near future. Continue to undermine McCarthy with people whispering in your ear what should be done the field and with the ball club in general.
It'll be the same ole, same ole.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Unless Jimmy's coaching, this is just one clusterfluke and shows why we aren't sniffing a Super Bowl in the near future. Continue to undermine McCarthy with people whispering in your ear what should be done the field and with the ball club in general.
It'll be the same ole, same ole.
Classic case of too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Ahhh.....Like 28 years too late
R.28fcfd9769039b9c7dbf17c91ce35813

Status
Not open for further replies.