Jimmy Johnson back in the fold? (Update Post 106)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
^ This. Jimmy Johnson was only joking when his Ring of Honor induction was mentioned on The Joe Rose Show. Members can listen to what Johnson said in context by clicking on the link below (audio is already set to start at the 8:20 mark/related comment lasts for less than one minute):

https://omny.fm/shows/joe-rose-show/jimmy-johnson-on-why-the-dolphins-should-extend-tu?t=8m20s

I forgot Bill Parcells' advice when I first read the story, "Don't get sucked." :laugh:

It was a nice mini-dream while it lasted though. :(
This just confirms what I thought from the first time I read about it .. Jerry is now talking to Jimmy about the Cowboys and their operations as friends.

I never for a moment thought that Jerry had an official "Advisory Board" because if that were the case, Jerry would have buzzworded that to death.

I think the only thing that some people assumed incorrectly was that Jimmy was hired for some type of role with the organization, but I think most fans realized that was highly unlikely.

I think what Jimmy is saying is that he and Jerry are good now and that Jerry is already talking to him about the Cowboys and their operations just as friends.

That said, it does open the door that if things go badly next season I won't be surprised to see Jerry talking more to Jimmy for his advice.

That is unless Jerry's ego forces him to say something stupid and offensive about Jimmy between now and then ...

Flamma

Reaction score
Bold> This has been a continual problem for Cowboys teams over the past three decades. I call it lack of grit, something they have repeatedly demonstrated during crucial moments in games.

It happened during the Romo years as well. One of biggest examples was the 44-6 beatdown to Philadelphia in 2008. Just laid down.

Trends are sometimes hard to define. This franchise has seen players come-and-go. Coaches hired and fired. Scouts and lower front office executives shuffled and reset. Yet it continues.
Yeah, when was the last time this team came out like the Packers or Detroit this year? Yeah they lost to the 49ers in the end, but they came to play. We don't do that anymore and haven't for quite some time.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This just confirms what I thought from the first time I read about it .. Jerry is now talking to Jimmy about the Cowboys and their operations as friends.

I never for a moment thought that Jerry had an official "Advisory Board" because if that were the case, Jerry would have buzzworded that to death.

I think the only thing that some people assumed incorrectly was that Jimmy was hired for some type of role with the organization, but I think most fans realized that was highly unlikely.

I think what Jimmy is saying is that he and Jerry are good now and that Jerry is already talking to him about the Cowboys and their operations just as friends.

That said, it does open the door that if things go badly next season I won't be surprised to see Jerry talking more to Jimmy for his advice.

That is unless Jerry's ego forces him to say something stupid and offensive about Jimmy between now and then ...
Agreed. I did not think a hire took place but did initially believe Jones had allowed Johnson to become an informal consultant. Someone he could share ideas with and was open to outsider input.

That said, I am happy they are talking Cowboys football in any capacity. It may be a practice that has been ongoing for a while but it is nice knowing they connected after the Green Bay playoff debacle.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, when was the last time this team came out like the Packers or Detroit this year? Yeah they lost to the 49ers in the end, but they came to play. We don't do that anymore and haven't for quite some time.
It makes losses like the Arizona game really evident the level of the team's focus, commitment and inner drive is at any given point in time.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
^ This. Jimmy Johnson was only joking when his Ring of Honor induction was mentioned on The Joe Rose Show. Members can listen to what Johnson said in context by clicking on the link below (audio is already set to start at the 8:20 mark/related comment lasts for less than one minute):

https://omny.fm/shows/joe-rose-show/jimmy-johnson-on-why-the-dolphins-should-extend-tu?t=8m20s

I forgot Bill Parcells' advice when I first read the story, "Don't get sucked." :laugh:

You mean he’s not on the phone negotiating dak trades with Jerry :laugh:

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
People keep blaming Dak, and rightfully so, but the entire team has no fight in them. If you're old enough to remember that '89 Cowboys team, they lost a lot of games, but not from a lack of trying. That 1991 team went into Washington and beat an 11-0 team. They had fire. This team doesn't. The second they get punched they fold. Something has to change. This team doesn't play at a high intensity level. I don't know how to fix that.
If the team had "fight"...and Dak chokes...does that make it better for you, or worse? I think worse...who would you have to blame and obfuscate Dak's failures then?

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Jim Garrett’s pre-draft scouting report on Drew Henson and Chad Hutchinson:

1. Blonde hair
2. Blue eyes
3. Looks like Troy Aikman
To be fair, they were BOTH better options than Quimphy. Quimphy was a duck-ball throwing, horrible leader who didn't belong leading men. Drew Henson read defenses too slowly and Chad Hutchinson was Carson Wentz without the talent...but...Quincy was a bad Jerry pick that was further corrupted by Jerry. Poor Campo...lame never had a shot with that setup.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah great, I'm sure Jimmy is thinking, there is no greater satisfaction in the world like being part of a management team where you are gaslighted by an egotistical, narcissistic, maniac boss.. lol

DandyDon52

Reaction score

Well Dallas, IMO he was joking about being on an advisory board for dallas.
This took place shortly after the roh event, and evidently jerry called him, they talked, and jerry did ask him about some cowboy
issues, so he made the joke " I guess I am on the advisory board now." But jerry didnt hire him as an advisor.
But they are on friendly terms now.

I also liked what he said about BB not wanting full control of a team, he said bill never demanded that in NE, it just happened over several year period.
So Jerry could have got bill and still been the GM and SJ could still be what he does now.
The only thing would have been bill would want to hire and be over any other coaches hired.
I liked the podcast though.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well, hell. We live in dreamland anyway. Memories are the only SB trophies we'll see for a while.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I also liked what he said about BB not wanting full control of a team, he said bill never demanded that in NE, it just happened over several year period.
So Jerry could have got bill and still been the GM and SJ could still be what he does now.
The only thing would have been bill would want to hire and be over any other coaches hired.
I liked the podcast though.
Bold> All I can say is we'll never know for certain, *wink wink* lol.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is true Johnson was not joking about his phone call with Jones but he made a sarcastic joke about the phone call's importance. There is no doubt of his comment's importance based on the actual comment's context.
giphy.gif

The Star...
Jimmy: I'm gonna grab a beer. Get you anything?
Jerry: A double?
Jimmy: Sure thing.
Jerry: Good God man! What's in it?
Jimmy: Hell, I don't know. A friendly guy name Alice was mixing drinks. Said, 'drink it and you'll be right as rain.'

Flamma

Reaction score
If the team had "fight"...and Dak chokes...does that make it better for you, or worse? I think worse...who would you have to blame and obfuscate Dak's failures then?
Worse. But we're not down 27-0 because our team had fight. But at the same time our QB isn't helping matter. It really does look like the moment is too big for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.