Johnny Maziel***The Definitive Johnny MegaMerge*** Post all Manziel threads/posts here

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
When will you guys ever learn about building a team?

We built a pretty strong team in the 1990s. Do you remember some of the players we had on those teams?

Players don't care about what you do away from the locker room and field. It's about what kind of teammate you are and if you can help the team win. (I don't know the answer to either of those questions with Manziel.)

Michael Irvin had drug issues that eventually led to his arrest for cocaine possession in 1996, to which he pleaded no contest. "Boys Will Be Boys" details the 1990s Cowboys use of the White House for drugs and prostitution.

Charles Haley was a headcase who could make the locker room a miserable place, but even his issues didn't matter because his talent helped the team win.

There are plenty of other things you can read about that team that fly in the face of needing "choir boys" to build a winner. What you need is talent, which is what I'm not sure Manziel possesses.

visionary

Reaction score
We built a pretty strong team in the 1990s. Do you remember some of the players we had on those teams?

Players don't care about what you do away from the locker room and field. It's about what kind of teammate you are and if you can help the team win. (I don't know the answer to either of those questions with Manziel.)

Michael Irvin had drug issues that eventually led to his arrest for cocaine possession in 1996, to which he pleaded no contest. "Boys Will Be Boys" details the 1990s Cowboys use of the White House for drugs and prostitution.

Charles Haley was a headcase who could make the locker room a miserable place, but even his issues didn't matter because his talent helped the team win.

There are plenty of other things you can read about that team that fly in the face of needing "choir boys" to build a winner. What you need is talent, which is what I'm not sure Manziel possesses.

I'm not sure if you really believ this or are intentionally being obtuse but let me make a few points

1. You cannot take the example of a team that came together 25 years back to justify doing this now, the public and media environments are night and day different

2. That team had a real HC who was no nonsense, not a spineless jelly fish like we now have

3. That HC was also defacto GM so the meddling owner had little power and the players knew who they were answerable to if they stepped out of line

4. Irvin was a VERY talented player who the HC knew very very well. Irvin was THE HARDEST WORKER on the team and was the emotional leader. Manziel is a borderline NFL talent and is not a hard worker, missing practices and rehab.

5. On that team Aikman and Smith were the real leaders and would be considered choir boys by today's standards. This team had no real leadership, none. They have been unable to handle personalities like TO, Hardy, etc

I could go in but this really boring

Manziel is a borderline talent, drunk, party boy, self absorbed, narcissist, lazy player who will be out if this league in the next 2-3 years and will never be a high level consistent NFL player. Any cowboy fan with even half a brain can see that. No one who wants the Cowboys to succeed would ever want to see this idiot on the Cowboys .

gimmesix

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you really believ this or are intentionally being obtuse but let me make a few points

1. You cannot take the example of a team that came together 25 years back to justify doing this now, the public and media environments are night and day different

2. That team had a real HC who was no nonsense, not a spineless jelly fish like we now have

3. That HC was also defacto GM so the meddling owner had little power and the players knew who they were answerable to if they stepped out of line

4. Irvin was a VERY talented player who the HC knew very very well. Irvin was THE HARDEST WORKER on the team and was the emotional leader. Manziel is a borderline NFL talent and is not a hard worker, missing practices and rehab.

5. On that team Aikman and Smith were the real leaders and would be considered choir boys by today's standards. This team had no real leadership, none. They have been unable to handle personalities like TO, Hardy, etc

Manziel is a borderline talent, drunk, party boy, self absorbed, narcissist, lazy player who will be out if this league in the next 2-3 years and will never be a high level consistent NFL player. Any cowboy fan with even half a brain can see that. No one who wants the Cowboys to succeed would ever want to see this idiot on the Cowboys .

I agree that the public and media environments are different. That doesn't necessarily mean you can't be a party boy and an NFL success. If so, then players like Gronk would failed a long time ago.

Your comments about the head coaches are irrelevant. (Jimmy also wasn't the head coach for our third Super Bowl run with Switzer.)

I agree that Irvin was very talented and a hard worker. That would be the biggest questions concerning Manziel.

Your opinion about the leadership on this team is also irrelevant. I could argue that Romo and Witten are also real leaders and choir boys.

You could go on, but you have little of substance to your arguments. That you don't think much of the head coach or the leadership of this team are not substantive arguments.

visionary

Reaction score
I agree that the public and media environments are different. That doesn't necessarily mean you can't be a party boy and an NFL success. If so, then players like Gronk would failed a long time ago.

Your comments about the head coaches are irrelevant. (Jimmy also wasn't the head coach for our third Super Bowl run with Switzer.)

I agree that Irvin was very talented and a hard worker. That would be the biggest questions concerning Manziel.

Your opinion about the leadership on this team is also irrelevant. I could argue that Romo and Witten are also real leaders and choir boys.

You could go on, but you have little of substance to your arguments. That you don't think much of the head coach or the leadership of this team are not substantive arguments.

Yep, this makes sense. the guy arguing in favor of signing Manziel is saying my arguments are not substantive

Talk about lack of substance, your whole position on Manziel is pretty much is the epitome of that

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yep, this makes sense. the guy arguing in favor of signing Manziel is saying my arguments are not substantive

Talk about lack of substance, your whole position on Manziel is pretty much is the epitome of that

Never have I argued in favor of signing Manziel. I've said I could live with it either way.

I don't think the risk is too great if we sign him to a deal where he makes the minimum this year because if he acts out, the team can cut him. That doesn't mean I care if Dallas signs him ... because his talent to play in the NFL has not been proven.

It's a different situation than signing Greg Hardy, for instance. Hardy's talent has been proven so the potential for reward was there. However, because his talent was proven Dallas had to take more risk moneywise to acquire him. It still gave him a low base salary with per-game bonuses, which to me was the only way the risk was worth taking.

However, arguments can be made that signing Hardy, even to a low-risk contract, was not a good move because he didn't deliver enough production and apparently at least caused some dissension in the locker room.

I acknowledge that if Manziel is a locker-room cancer then he should absolutely be avoided. I don't see that from articles I've read.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Five Teams Desperate Enough To Sign Johnny Manziel

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/bro...Rss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomsports-topstories

...1. Dallas Cowboys

The obvious choice. Manziel wants to go there, and Jerry Jones wanted to pick him in 2014. Following the Cowboys’ signing of Greg Hardy, Jones also talked repeatedly about using football as an avenue to rehabilitate players, so that same logic would obviously apply here for Manziel. The Cowboys are still Romo’s team, but given his propensity for injuries a dynamic backup would certainly help. That said, with the media attention that the Cowboys attract even during quiet seasons, Dallas hardly seems like the best spot for Manziel.

usp_nfl__new_england_patriots_at_dallas_cowboys_76669988.jpg

(Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports)

2. Los Angeles Rams
From a purely marketing perspective, the Rams could do with a flashy, high-profile name like Manziel to showcase the team’s return to Los Angeles. Again, it’s hardly the ideal spot considering the media scrutiny he’ll invariably attract, but joining the Rams could spur some healthy competition with Nick Foles for the starting job and provide a feeling of ownership over a team that he could, feasibly, lead.

3. New England Patriots
A total, unequivocal longshot in every sense, and the Pats aren’t exactly “desperate.” But remember, Bill Belichick has a history of looking for value in shunned, high-profile prospects. Chad Johnson, Albert Haynesworth and Randy Moss all once graced the Pats roster despite their previous troubles, and while Tim Tebow didn’t have any of those issues, the media sensation that he attracted scared off many teams, opening the door for the Pats to take a look at him. I’ve written before that Manziel’s best chance for redemption would probably come via a strong organization that is stable enough to defuse any potential landmines, and who better than the Pats? By the way, Tom Brady won’t be around forever. He is 38, after all …

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I personally don't think he is that talented. The off field issues just cement him not being worth it in my opinion.

We have reached the point on the Laffer Curve that the benefits no longer outweigh the cost.

It is time to let the Manziel story die.

jwitten82

Reaction score
I dont want Manziel, but Im not gonna believe this chick either. Innocent until proven guilty

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Schefter reporting that Ft Worth and Dallas PD are closing their investigations and no charges will be filed. I find it funny people jump the gun at any incident that happens with Manziel. Don't even let the story play out. His gf refused to let the cops take pics of the so called injuries. Where they were, I believe tons of people were around. There would be footage.

Nothing more than gotcha journalism and a fabricated story that everyone jumps at.

How would this ruin his career??

Rogah

Reaction score
Schefter reporting that Ft Worth and Dallas PD are closing their investigations and no charges will be filed. I find it funny people jump the gun at any incident that happens with Manziel. Don't even let the story play out. His gf refused to let the cops take pics of the so called injuries. Where they were, I believe tons of people were around. There would be footage.

Nothing more than gotcha journalism and a fabricated story that everyone jumps at.

How would this ruin his career??
There is nothing "fabricated" about a story where a neighbor had to call 911 and accusations were made that he hit and threatened his girlfriend.

irishline

Reaction score
There is nothing "fabricated" about a story where a neighbor had to call 911 and accusations were made that he hit and threatened his girlfriend.

I agree with you to the extent that I believe he was guilty of what she claims. However, as the affidavit states, she knocked on the neighbors door and asked them to call 911. It states he fled on foot and there is no definitive indication that the neighbors ever actually saw him. So to say that there is no possibility of this being fabricated is wrong.

Again while I personally do not believe she made this up it, there indeed is enough space in there for her to fabricate parts to most of the story. The affidavit reads as mostly a "she said" thing at this point (with no charges files to date). To state otherwise, with certainty, is just bias talking.

Everything else aside though, logically where there is smoke there is fire, and I hope the Cowboys stay far, far away from this mess.

Last edited:

Rogah

Reaction score
I agree with you to the extent that I believe he was guilty of what she claims. However, as the affidavit states, she knocked on the neighbors door and asked them to call 911. It states he fled on foot and there is no definitive indication that the neighbors ever actually saw him. So to say that there is no possibility of this being fabricated is wrong.
What are you talking about? The woman who called 911 stated on the phone call that the she heard yelling and screaming from next door, the girl said her boyfriend beat her up, and that she didn't want the woman to call 911.

irishline

Reaction score
What are you talking about? The woman who called 911 stated on the phone call that the she heard yelling and screaming from next door, the girl said her boyfriend beat her up, and that she didn't want the woman to call 911.

The report that i read states that she knocked on the neighbors door and asked for help as he was running away on foot in the parking lot. I read nothing of anyone calling 911 because of screaming so I did not hear of what you are talking about. If there is something I missed I apologize. That said hearing screaming and someone saying someone beat them up still does not constitue a "without a doubt" of who did what to whom in any court. So I say again that to state he is guilty without a doubt is nothing but situational bias talking.

And this is coming from someone who agreed with you that he did it.

Read:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...manziel-ex-girlfriend-police-report/79845088/

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Question: Why not sign Johnny when he is available to a contract that requires him to be on a 24/7 leash? Similar to what Dez was on.

Brandon George: You don't think that as much Cleveland invested in Manziel they didn't try everything with him? Look, Manziel has shown no signs of maturing and no remorse along the way. He simply doesn't care. He's too much of a headache at this point. It would be a mistake for the Cowboys to sign Manziel. And, no one at Valley Ranch wants Manziel in the building. But Jerry Jones has ultimate say-so and whether he can pass on him twice remains a question this offseason.

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...imply-care-nobody-valley-ranch-wants-building

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Aside from Manziel's lack of NFL talent and his laziness, the bold is a very salient point.

You simply can't get away with the same things now you could 25 years ago. Social media has changed the entire dynamics of off-field issues.

And, YES, it DOES impact a franchise.

As far as I'm concerned, Johnny Manziel is through as a NFL football player. No team is going to touch him, especially not the Cowboys. The Cowboys don't want to relive Hardy 2.0. You think the press was merciless when the Cowboys signed Hardy. You aint seen NUTIN yet if they sign Johnny Manziel.