Jon Gruden on Connor Cook

DFWJC

Reaction score
Didn't he say the same thing about Wentz
I realize that in general, he knows the position.

But He kinda lost me when he was saying that about Manziel. And then he proceeded to abuse all the teams passing on him during the draft. It got to embarrassing after awhile.

As for Cook; I've heard him repeatedly described as a QB that teammates don't like so much.
One scout even called him similar to the QB in the movie "Draft Day". The prima Donna who had no teammates show up at his birthday party. Lol

Probably too harsh

One thing that would not remotely surprise though, is that the best QB in this draft could easily not be named Wentz or Goff.
I don't know, of course, but it wouldn't at all surprise me.

Last edited:

reddyuta

Reaction score
Just look at his throwing charts,Cook misses a ton of passes below 10 yards!!.you cant have that kind of inconsistency in a QB in the NFL level who cant complete a simple dump off to his TE or rb,you CANNOT teach accuracy.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I believe the Romans around here deny Carsus because of the hero worship of Staubach. They know the second Wentz is a Cowboy, Roger is thought of as sort of a fraud QB. Okay for his time but that was B.C. Before Carsus. Nobody cares. Nobody will remember. That threatens their fandom. They would have lived a lie all this time.

I know he's got two rings and you can equate that to two tablets but I think you'd be hard pressed to consider Staubach to even be Football Moses. That's probably Aikman, providing the tablets aren't too heavy for his back. Romo's Tony the Baptist. He arrived right before. I expect him to annoint Wentz in the days prior to the draft.

I guess you could say Roger is Noah. Navy guy. Builds an ark. Make sense. But I would equate him to more of a street preacher with questionable intentions.

your funny but your judgement is faulty
Staubach was great because he refused to lose
Staubach had what all great ones have
Aikman had this also

Plankton

Reaction score
your funny but your judgement is faulty
Staubach was great because he refused to lose
Staubach had what all great ones have
Aikman had this also

giphy.gif

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't want him driving my bus. He would snatch my seat and miss all the turns. The kid can't hit the broad side of a barn throwing a football

From what I've read and seen, his aim is just fine when he sets himself. His poor accuracy results from not re-setting when having to throw on the move. That seems fixable, but he has to have the work ethic and mind-set to fix it.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
What I'm hearing is a consensus that Cook is an excellent 2ND rnd prospect with good physical talent and ample experience in a pro-style offense?

HellCrowe

Reaction score
I can't tell if this is a compliment or an insult? LOL

Then why do you like him?

Well then, there was once a time Jay Cutler was actually good. 2010 I believe and a couple more years. Like I mentioned with my other post, Cook has the same tendencies as Cutler.

Since I have to explain myself, "If" drafted I'm not going to be one of these guys who come in here and whine. Maybe if he never develops by his third year then there should be concern. What I wanted to imply is "if" drafted we must see something to develop.

What I see is the Favre to Rodgers effect. Whether we get Wentz or a 2nd Tier QB, I believe they will be that much better. So when I say he reminds me of Cutler yes he is erratic and is a questioned leader but give the guy 3 years and maybe we'll see a better version of Cutler. The one who becomes a leader and knows how to win. Only time will tell.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Cook is nowhere as good as Cutler,are you guys kidding me? Cutler has a cannon for an arm and Cook does not.He had the lowest velocity on throws at the combine and it shows up on tape where he Mcnabbs a lot of throws at the receivers feet.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
MSU fans how does Cook compare to Kirk Cousins coming out of college?

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Considerably more accurate at MSU than Cook. Not even really close. He was a 64% passer there.

So cousins was picked in the 4th and some say cook will go to Dallas in the 2nd. What am I missing?

RoboQB

Reaction score
Cook may very well become the best QB in this draft... its possible.

But... I also know that Jon Gruden's Monday commentary shtick is that there are 22 Pro-Bowlers on the field at any given time.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Honest question...Has there been a QB in the last 3-4 years that Gruden has covered that he does or did NOT like?

I can't think of one QB where he did not like him but I might just not remember it.

I think he I remember him tearing Jimmy Clausen apart

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gruden goes head over heels for every QB he sees. He's the kinda person that goes to an Animal Shelter and walks out with 7 dogs and 12 cats. He can't say no.

Unless he is coaching the team and the QB isnt over 30 and developed by someone else