RELEASED Jon Kitna will not be retained

Polkton31

Reaction score
The only thing that improved with Dak was his learning how to throw the ball away instead of getting sacked.
He excelled against Dog teams where he had time to smoke a cigarette in the pocket and the DB we're 5 yards behind the WR TE....

You do realize when you point out that Dak beat dog teams, but lost to good teams, you're pointing out a stat... right? You also realize that when you point out Dak was good when he had time in the pocket versus when he didn't, you're using a stat. When you point out how many passes were thrown to wide open receivers, or behind receivers, or over a receivers head, or into the dirt... all stats. So, you use stats to further your agenda, but ridicule others when they bring up a stat which goes against your agenda.... You are the definition of a hypocrite and a troll.... but... you already know this.
After spending months reading your posts, I have come to the following conclusion.... If you ever require any kind of surgery involving your head... That procedure is going to have to be performed by a proctologist.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big Mike is his own QBC. It's nothing against Kitna but he has always been the voice in his QB's ear.

ultron

Reaction score
McCarthy will develop Dak just like he developed that late first round pompous prick pick; Aaron 'mega d0uche' Rodgers.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Regardless of what you think of Kitna it's refreshing to see our head coach truly pick his own staff.

I wish I could wrap my arms a quarter of the way around McCarthy right now and bury my head in his bosom.
I think the reason for replacing Kitna had little to do with his ability and performance and more to do with removing a conduit for the previous coaching staff between the head coach and the quarterback.

While Kitna may very well have been objective and neutral enough to invest fully in the new coaching system, it's just not worth risking the potential that he (or anyone, not him specifically) would be unable to do so.

That's why i said weeks ago that I wanted to see the entire coaching staff replaced.

It had nothing to do with liking or disliking any or all of the previous coaches, but rather wanting to remove all remnants of the old systems, concepts and mindsets.

Proof

Reaction score
The only thing that improved with Dak was his learning how to throw the ball away instead of getting sacked.
He excelled against Dog teams where he had time to smoke a cigarette in the pocket and the DB we're 5 yards behind the WR TE....

I mean that’s your opinion. I’m not really hyper focused on the little things often, but specifically honed in this year and he was clearly doing things differently. Whether or not you agree he improved, he definitely took to kitnas tutelage.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the reason for replacing Kitna had little to do with his ability and performance and more to do with removing a conduit for the previous coaching staff between the head coach and the quarterback.

While Kitna may very well have been objective and neutral enough to invest fully in the new coaching system, it's just not worth risking the potential that he (or anyone, not him specifically) would be unable to do so.

That's why i said weeks ago that I wanted to see the entire coaching staff replaced.

It had nothing to do with liking or disliking all of the previous coaches, but rather wanting to remove all remnants of the old systems, concepts and mindsets.

I do too but of course this also would mean Kellen Moore would have to go as well for the same reason.

Bigtommyb

Reaction score
Yes, kitna did well but Dak has gained the knowledge already. This season coming up is about taking the talent to the next level. Superbowl level. Garrett wasn't horrible or great. He was good enough but couldn't take us to next level. Kitna taught Dak everything he needed to advance but now it's time to take that to the next level with M.M. Roll something around your brain. M.M has worked with Montana,Favre and Rodgers. Next level. Thanks Kitna ,step a side so we can take what he knows and I'll expand it. Another thing, numbers wise offense was good against bad teams. When it counted was this offense good and able to adjust in games. Next level guys

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Oh Well. I have to trust in M&M system, he knows how to beat teams and make playoff runs. McCarthy’s Staff Figures To Bring Experience in dedicated to footwork, hip, grip and follow through.

Dak is becoming the GOAT, move over Brady there is a new sheriff.

Good because at times even with time in the pocket Dak footwork got sloppy. Especially throwing off the back foot.
And I like Dak. One of the few people who don't hate Dak hear lol. BTW Dak > Wentz

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do too but of course this also would mean Kellen Moore would have to go as well for the same reason.
I would have not been upset had they replaced him as well for the reasons I mentioned above, but at least Kellen is young and new enough to not be set in his ways coaching wise.

That said, if he was still the quarterback coach, I would definitely had not wanted him back for the same reason I believe Kitna was replaced.

Perhaps the creativeness of Kellen Moore combined with McCarthy's offensive system will create a non-stagnant (same thing every year) offense in the coming years.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
All QB are better against bad defenses, of course. As for time in the pocket, there was very little difference when he had more than the average amount of time compared to when he had less.

passer rating by time to throw
(of Top 10 rated passers w/ 300+ att)

less than 2.5 seconds / 2.5 seconds or more
Brees 114.8 / 118.6
Jackson 112.0 / 115.6
Cousins 103.9 / 110.2
Wilson 111.5 / 102.2
Mahomes 104.9 / 105.7
Garoppolo 101.7 / 103.4
Carr 104.4 / 98.2
Prescott 99.3 / 100.4
Watson 99.5 / 98.3
Rodgers 95.4 / 95.7

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't disagree. I said it the other day. I have seen MM do this before...he gets enamored with QB's...and it wouldn't shock me to see him grab a free agent, trade for a prospect or draft a guy. I wouldn't be shocked to see Gardner Minshew brought in..or Ryan Fitzpatrick.. In the draft, watch out for Fromm or hurts. Doesn't mean he doesn't love Dak...its just who MM is. He values that position over all others. AS WELL HE SHOULD.
At least the backup position should improve, and he'll probably keep 3 QBs, instead of just 2.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
All QB are better against bad defenses, of course. As for time in the pocket, there was very little difference when he had more than the average amount of time compared to when he had less.

passer rating by time to throw
(of Top 10 rated passers w/ 300+ att)

less than 2.5 seconds / 2.5 seconds or more
Brees 114.8 / 118.6
Jackson 112.0 / 115.6
Cousins 103.9 / 110.2
Wilson 111.5 / 102.2
Mahomes 104.9 / 105.7
Garoppolo 101.7 / 103.4
Carr 104.4 / 98.2
Prescott 99.3 / 100.4
Watson 99.5 / 98.3
Rodgers 95.4 / 95.7
I noticed a few of those QBs actually have a better percentage before the 2.5 second mark. Is this stat limited to time in the pocket, or does it include out of pocket passes?