Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
OK, I think I'm done laughing. Why not keep all 3??:D

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
ELDudearino;1502111 said:
OK, I think I'm done laughing. Why not keep all 3??:D

People are up in arms, about just having two backs, can you imagine the uproar if we were to have 3? Man, i think this place would have a cataclysmic breakdown

mmillman

Reaction score
Cowboyz88;1500084 said:
"A bird in the hand..."

I know McFadden's supposed to be the next great thing, but we've all heard of names like Blair Thomas, Lawrence Phillips, Ricky Williams, Ron Dayne, William Green, etc. - all first round picks who flamed out for a variety of reasons.

If Jones goes for 1600, then you have your RB and you draft at another position.

Now, if you re-up Jones, it does make sense to move Barber, but if Jones doesn't impress, then you keep Barber, let Jones walk and then draft McFadden.

All of those backs had questions, McFadden has all the tools. The only negative I have heard, not to downplay it, is some vague character issues.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Julius is going to get his chance. Hes going to get to run his way. If he looks like he did his rookie season(especially @ Seattle) then hes going to stay and were going to look at tackle or corner with the Browns selection.

If he still runs blindly up our linemens back, or misses significant time with injury he might not even get an offer.

If he is on his way out, I wouldnt want to stay with just my dad. Id like to get another back in here. Maybe Slaton with our pick, and still a croner with the browns pick

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
I think we're going to have to run a 1, 2 punch with Jones and Barber. . . .

Doomsday101;1500759 said:
Who is our best RB? All to often Jones was a non-factor in many game and it was not until the 2nd half of game when Barber would help spark a sputtering offense. No doubt Jones had some good games as well but his play has been very inconsistent and that will have to change if he expects to be back after this season.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
dargonking999;1500562 said:
Do you know what that would make the cowboys look like. Oh hey, lets sign our FA so we can trade him. No one would want to come to the cowboys, and we would lose all respect. That is not smart, in any sense.
Oh, so we should start worrying about how we would look like rather than worrying about making our team better? Nice train of thought there......

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
dargonking999;1500573 said:
So you would want to, pay a huge amount of dollars in one year, for a RB, and then pay a huge rookie salary to Mcfadden?

I guess you want us to start looking like the deadskins
One year salary won't hurt us cap-wise, we have the space. Again, worrying about how we look rather than making us better? High-maintenance.....

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
5mics;1502409 said:
Oh, so we should start worrying about how we would look like rather than worrying about making our team better? Nice train of thought there......

when you start making crude moves like that, no one is going to want to sign with the cowboys. So then in the future when we need players guess what?

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
5mics;1502412 said:
One year salary won't hurt us cap-wise, we have the space. Again, worrying about how we look rather than making us better? High-maintenance.....

The more you talk, the more you are seriously reminding of a Commanders fan, lets throw Integrity, loyalty, good business practice, all out the window, and just throw money around until we've bought ourselves a superbowl team. Maybe you will learn like the deadskins have learned. You can't throw money around until you get something good.

goons

Reaction score
Combined, MBIII and JJ had 402 carries for 1738 yards and 18 touchdowns

Larry Johnson had 416 carries for 1789 yards and 17 touchdowns

Why do we need a single back to do what 2 backs can do? We are going to carry 3 RB's on the roster anyway... why have one on the bench and another starting? What is wrong with JJ and MBIII continuing to do what they do?

Dallas had the 4th ranked scoring offense in the NFL last season.

Dallas had the 5th ranked offense for time of possession in the NFL last season.

No, Julius is not Emmitt, but Julius + MBII = Emmitt, at least in terms of production.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
dargonking999;1502459 said:
The more you talk, the more you are seriously reminding of a Commanders fan, lets throw Integrity, loyalty, good business practice, all out the window, and just throw money around until we've bought ourselves a superbowl team. Maybe you will learn like the deadskins have learned. You can't throw money around until you get something good.
Wow, you really have a "thing" about the Deadskins, huh? So worried about being "labeled" Deadskins, Part II? Sad. Sounds like any BIG $$$ deal the 'Boys make, you equate it to a "Deadskins move". What did you think about the Leonard Davis signing? I have MORE faith in Jerry than that. I believe he's learned from his past mistakes. Try not to be so scared w/ bold, big $$$ moves, this is the big time and you gotta make moves like that once in awhile.....We'll have to re-visit this again when the 'Boys are in a position to take McFadden next year & JuJo has a big year.....

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
5mics;1503059 said:
Wow, you really have a "thing" about the Deadskins, huh? So worried about being "labeled" Deadskins, Part II? Sad. Sounds like any BIG $$$ deal the 'Boys make, you equate it to a "Deadskins move". What did you think about the Leonard Davis signing? I have MORE faith in Jerry than that. I believe he's learned from his past mistakes. Try not to be so scared w/ bold, big $$$ moves, this is the big time and you gotta make moves like that once in awhile.....We'll have to re-visit this again when the 'Boys are in a position to take McFadden next year & JuJo has a big year.....

Because it doesn't make sense to sign a player to big money deal, trade them, only to draft someone else, and pay them a big money contract. it doesn't make sense!

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
i would not trade marion barber for all the tea in china.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
dargonking999;1502120 said:
People are up in arms, about just having two backs, can you imagine the uproar if we were to have 3? Man, i think this place would have a cataclysmic breakdown
It would be the end of Cowboyszone as we know it.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
lane;1503074 said:
i would not trade marion barber for all the tea in china.

Who would even think to trade a player for tea?

and seriously who wants tea from china, ;)

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Yep, Julius is going to have a 1600 yard season because he has a "chip on his shoulder". Bradie James and Bill Parcells singlehandedly made us a 9-7 team, and our 7th round draft pick cornerback from Cal Poly is going to be "special".

Gotta love May.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
LowTech;1500472 said:
If Julius has a great year.....slap the franchise tag on him and draft McFadden

In a sense, that is my answer to the dilemma.

I'm not predicting 1,600 yards, but let's say that Jones averages 4.5 YPC, McFadden (or another back) tears it up again in college and Dallas ends up in potential position to draft him.

I'd have trouble passing on drafting a potential "franchise" back just because Jones showed he can be a very good back (and I do think that's the limit of Jones' upside, based on his brother's NFL play), but I wouldn't want to let go of Jones until I made sure I had a better option.

Franchising Jones would not prevent Dallas from trading him to a team that reworks his contract. The timing of such a trade would be the hardest thing to work out.

GlitzCowboy

Reaction score
dndvalles;1500044 said:
If Dallas can get McFadden, I would trade both Julius and Marion to the highest bidder(s)...draft & develop a back-up for DMac in the later rounds

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Not a bad idea to start fresh if we grabbed McFadden. Though I do love Barber's nose for the goalline and first down marker. It would be hard to give that away regardless.

As far as this "keep Jones and trade Barber" idea.. That's crazy. Why? Even if he has 1600 yards. That's why I feel we really missed the boat by not unloading him already vs unloading him next year. Next year we'll get nothing for him- he'll just leave and go sign somewhere else and that will be that. We aren't going to beable to trade him, he won't be under contract for us to trade! I seriously hope he doesn't do good because McFadden is already a Cowboy and I don't think anything changes that. It would be better for us to let a bad player go then one just having an all-pro type season. Can you imagine how hard that would be? But that's what would happen. Jerry's wet dream is on it's way- only injury stops that. And who knows, injury might just allow him to fall to our 2nd #1 pick, giving us all that much more power in that draft.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
dargonking999;1503071 said:
Because it doesn't make sense to sign a player to big money deal, trade them, only to draft someone else, and pay them a big money contract. it doesn't make sense!

Again, I disagree. Topic will come up again after JuJo has his big year and Browns go 2-14 giving us the top overall pick giving us a shot at McFadden if we want him. I'm open to ALL possibilities.....