Justin Jefferson/Vikings agree to 4 year/140m extension

rambo2

Reaction score
Nothing against Lamb, (although it can't be denied he has come up small in the playoffs along with others), but WR is a position I wouldn't break the bank on. There is plenty of history that suggests it's a mistake.
Locking him up on a 2nd contract is not a mistake.

rambo2

Reaction score
Then they should trade him.
Next season is a waste anyway.
Trade Parsons too, the way the use him at DE he probably is going to wear down.
They are signing him to a 2nd contract. What is wrong with you people? Are you out of your minds?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Can you provide some examples of the NY and California teams dominating pre-salary cap? The 49's are the only team I can think of but is San Francisco even a "big market" team on the level of the Jets, Giants and Rams?

Were the Steelers, Bill's, Vikings and Broncos buying success when they went on 4ish year runs of dominance?

Do "small market" teams even exist now with the revenue sharing model in place?

I don't think you thought this through Rocky. You seem to have swallowed hook, line and sinker the hogwash sold to you about parity. The reality is, the cap is far more about cost control benefitting the owners than it is about parity and fairness.
The players understand the value of parity. It encourages all 32 teams to spend on players. That’s why they negotiate the terms of the salary cap and wisely got it tied to TV rights revenue, and set a minimum each team must pay in player compensation And a minimum each player must be paid. Sans the cap in the CBA there would be no ceiling, but there would be no floor.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Who does Minny have at QB now? Sam Darnold and JJ McCarthy. Wonder if he’ll ever put up the same numbers with those guys.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why does the next player up have to sign for a bigger contract especially if that player is not as good?
"not as good" is subjective. Its about what he means for that franchise. Daniel Jones was next in line and got a 40 million dollar deal not 50...it just depends.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Who does Minny have at QB now? Sam Darnold and JJ McCarthy. Wonder if he’ll ever put up the same numbers with those guys.
Perhaps their concern is the numbers Darnold & McCarthy will put up without him. They knew what they were doing when they did not sign Cousins, did sign Darnold, drafted McCarthy, and signed Jefferson. Minnesota knows what they’re trying to do. The Cowboys let the other 31 teams dictate what they’re going to do.

rambo2

Reaction score
Perhaps their concern is the numbers Darnold & McCarthy will put up without him. They knew what they were doing when they did not sign Cousins, did sign Darnold, drafted McCarthy, and signed Jefferson. Minnesota knows what they’re trying to do. The Cowboys let the other 31 teams dictate what they’re going to do.
Vikings have been trying since 1960.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The players understand the value of parity. It encourages all 32 teams to spend on players. That’s why they negotiate the terms of the salary cap and wisely got it tied to TV rights revenue, and set a minimum each team must pay in player compensation And a minimum each player must be paid. Sans the cap in the CBA there would be no ceiling, but there would be no floor.
A salary minimum could still be in place. The players would still have leverage as in 'no pay, no play'. As well as not having the cap used against them in negotiations.

Teams that operate on the cheap will pay the price over time.

The biggest market teams pretty much sucked in the modern era pre-cap while some small market teams thrived. The NFL built its popularity in the pre-cap 70's and 80's.

I'd rather be in a situation as a fan where Dak, Parsons, Lamb etc could negotiate for the absolute most they could get and my opinion of the signing could be based solely on the player and not how his contract affects the team.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
So much for the WR market becoming like the RB market I guess. The only question now is how much do we overpay Lamb? I mean, it's what we do, right?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only question now is how much do we overpay Lamb? I mean, it's what we do, right?
He will get a little more than Jefferson did if the Cowboys extend him. It's not a Cowboys thing it's a every team thing. Follow the WR's getting paid this off season. The next one always gets more.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Oops. There goes that market going up again. If we want Lamb we are going to pay a lot more then we would have 6 months ago. I know one thing Lamb is licking his chops.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
There is no point in signing any of our "big 3" players. If we choose to do nothing to bring in any talent to round out the team, what's the point? If you think the only way to win a Super Bowl is through the draft, then trade one or two of them for picks. Our FO is so dumb, they can't do anything right.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That’s roughly 13.5% of the cap, in line with what Adams received a couple years ago. The numbers seem where they should. I have to believe Lamb is similar. Maybe they give him slightly more but with the same guaranteed amount so Lamb has bragging rights but it’s really the same deal.
Frankly, I'd up the guarantee slightly to see if that would get Lamb to come down on the total. Or lower the guarantee if he wants to be the highest-paid. Either $115 million guaranteed on a $130 million deal or $100 million guaranteed on a $150 million deal. I like the lower guaranteed amount because it allows the team to stack a lot of nonguaranteed money on the back end.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It can be argued rather effectively that Lamb was the better receiver last year.
Yep...and not only that but if i'm Lamb and his team i'm coming to the table with his stats from last year, he's a year younger, and he's been durable....if Jefferson got this coming off a 10 game season then my client Lamb should get as much or more. Very possible.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Well yeah.

Jefferson only played in 10 games.

Still had 70 catches for over 1,000 yards.
All that is going to matter to Lamb's camp is that he was the better/healthier receiver than the one who just got $140 million. That's their card.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
All that is going to matter to Lamb's camp is that he was the better/healthier receiver than the one who just got $140 million. That's their card.
If that's the route they chose to say Lamb deserves more I hope Jerry laughs in their faces.