K Thornton hurt, Gurode 1st team C now

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Sarge said:
My guess is he wants to see what Ware can do against JJ.

...but who really knows.

;)

i was thinking he was saying - now Ware can show what he can do for JJ (jerry jones)?

anybody else wanna take a crack at it? :D

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Sarge said:
I think Al will win the job. I just think Bill wants Al to work for it. From what I can gather, Bill really likes Al. I'm not so sure he feels the same for Gurode (underachiever) who IMO is a huge disappointment thus far.

Nice to 'see' ya Smitty.

One thing that is certain about BP, from what I have learned so far past three years, never bet on that "Bill seems to like him" Scenario.

He sticks to his word about performance and ability, regardless of what he personally feels for the guy. Case in Point Woody Dantzler release and keeping whats his name instead.

So, I just don't buy any of the Bill will keep him or prefer him because he likes him thing. Wether its QB or LB or DL or OL etc.

In this case, for Record, I dont think this battle is a fake battle. Gurode sure seems like is showing something at Center. But wether he wins the job is a different thing though. From his comments he does seem to think Gurode is much better center and that he made a mistake in putting at Guard.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LeonDixson said:
You may be right, Sarge. BP did say something the other day about wanting a beefier center (which Gurode is), but that could be part of his motivation tactics on Johnson. They both had a reputation for having a little bit of a nasty streak, and that's what I want to see more of out of all of our linemen.

I see a lot of guys saying Gurode is the fav b/c he is bigger. He really isn't that much bigger than Al. He's a mental midget too despite his toughness.

Al wins the job IMO.

I think Al may be something special and is potentially an all-pro who is kinda flying under the radar right now.

We'll see.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RCowboyFan said:
One thing that is certain about BP, from what I have learned so far past three years, never bet on that "Bill seems to like him" Scenario.

He sticks to his word about performance and ability, regardless of what he personally feels for the guy. Case in Point Woody Dantzler release and keeping whats his name instead.

So, I just don't buy any of the Bill will keep him or prefer him because he likes him thing. Wether its QB or LB or DL or OL etc.

In this case, for Record, I dont think this battle is a fake battle. Gurode sure seems like is showing something at Center. But wether he wins the job is a different thing though. From his comments he does seem to think Gurode is much better center and that he made a mistake in putting at Guard.

I understand and agree with that. I guess i didn't really say what I really think. I don't think BP likes Gurode. He's underachieved his entire tenure here.

I never try to figure out BP (ESPECIALLY WITH HIS GAME CALLING) but I really feel it's Al's job to lose. I don't see him losing it either.

ddh33

Reaction score
If any of you are basketball fans, you may remember something that happened back in 1997. The Lakers guard just tweaked an injury and was going to miss a game, and his teenage backup was going to get to start his first game. Jerry West, the GM, commented that they would never get him out of that lineup for the next 15 years. Like him or not, Kobe is still starting at guard for the Lakers. It was pretty much inevitable, but Ware just got that spot...

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Sarge said:
I understand and agree with that. I guess i didn't really say what I really think. I don't think BP likes Gurode. He's underachieved his entire tenure here.

I never try to figure out BP (ESPECIALLY WITH HIS GAME CALLING) but I really feel it's Al's job to lose. I don't see him losing it either.

Hey but both alternate this year, i.e. rotating centers kind of what he had in first year, it might not be a bad thing at all either.

Probably Al is the long term answer, but Gurode might end up proving he wasn't a failed draft pick but just that he was playing wrong position.

Btw, only one thing I will say in defense of Gurode is that, BP always said the guy was a real hard worker. Working wasn't the issue as much as understanding assignments.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Battle at Center

Perhaps the starter on a given day will depend on the type of defense we face

Gurode is the strongest of the two....and I can see him being a much better fit if the center is facing up against a beefy NT in a 3-4.

BlueWave

Reaction score
Mash said:
The center battle is far from a smoke screen......Gurode has more lead is his butt.....hopefully it doesn't find its way up to his brain.

Yeah, seven more pounds. What a huge difference. :rolleyes:

I think Johnson wins the job, but they will certainly swap out to keep the Centers fresh. Nothing wrong with that. If either one does get nicked up, we shouldn't skip a beat.

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
BlueWave said:
Yeah, seven more pounds. What a huge difference. :rolleyes:

I think Johnson wins the job, but they will certainly swap out to keep the Centers fresh. Nothing wrong with that. If either one does get nicked up, we shouldn't skip a beat.
I think he was referring to strength vs size. I just want the guy who's going to really help the running game, and hold up against the middle blitz.

That's one of the match ups I'll be watching come Saturday.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Nors said:
They have been rotating all camp.

This is true but evidently Gurode is showing great improvment in his play which bodes well for this team be it as a starter or backup. I like Al Johnson but I don't think he has the starters job wraped up and it appears that Gurode is giving him a run for his money.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Gurode will have to do a lot more than just have a nice first week in August to wipe away 3 years of inconsistancy. He looked good last training camp too.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Gurode will have to do a lot more than just have a nice first week in August to wipe away 3 years of inconsistancy. He looked good last training camp too.

I agree he has to continue to improve and show consistantcy in his play myself I hope he does I would love to have a guy at his size manning the center position

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Sarge said:
I see a lot of guys saying Gurode is the fav b/c he is bigger. He really isn't that much bigger than Al. He's a mental midget too despite his toughness.

Al wins the job IMO.

I think Al may be something special and is potentially an all-pro who is kinda flying under the radar right now.

We'll see.
I agree. I heard an interview with Al last week and they asked him about Gurode. He said that sometimes coaches just say things to fire guys up... And then talked about building off last year's solid first year. It really sounded like he was taking this all in stride and was confident the job was still his.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
I agree. I heard an interview with Al last week and they asked him about Gurode. He said that sometimes coaches just say things to fire guys up... And then talked about building off last year's solid first year. It really sounded like he was taking this all in stride and was confident the job was still his.

And I think it will be by the time things are all said and done.

However, I would love for Gurode to finally flash something. For his salary and experience, he would make a great backup center/guard.

As much as we have all bashed him, I would rather have him in there than Tyson Walter.

Reaction score
tothewhipbill said:
i was thinking he was saying - now Ware can show what he can do for JJ (jerry jones)?

anybody else wanna take a crack at it? :D

No no, JJ. The real JJ!!! You know, from Good Times?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab said:
Does anybody REALLY believe Gurode will start ahead of Johnson? :laugh1: