News: Kaepernick-Browns trade would give Cowboys

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're losing me how you wouldn't want a guy who makes the post season every year(Dalton) or a guy who's a Super Bowl winner in Joe Flacco lol. Yikes. But you'd take guys who have done NOTHING lol.

Cowboys gave Sean Lee a incentive based deal did that mean that the Cowboys didn't want Sean Lee? Or what about the incentive based deal they gave McFadden? Guess they signed him and didn't want him.

Einstein.......lol.

So I guess I should hang my hat on your scouting eye?

You can win with those QBs but in order for me to use a premium draft choice on one I want better than solid, which is all those guys are.

You asked if I would rather have Wentz or Goff. My answer is yes.

Stop with the nonsense. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the Chargers lacked confidence in Brees when they burned a 1st rounder on Rivers the year before.

I'm not trying to convince you on either player. I couldn't care less what you think. Don't move the goal posts. This was about if Cleveland passes at 2 that much mean something bad about those QBs. Cleveland. The laughing stock of the NFL for decades. In that same Rivers draft Cleveland passed on Ben Roethlisberger. Did that mean something? But wait. This is the new Cleveland with top offensive assistant/talent evaluator Hue Jackson, a guy who helped develop Flacco and Dalton. That must mean he can pick QBs in the college draft.

MikeT22

Reaction score
If this trade occurs, I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland starts dangling their first round pick out to the highest bidder (ex. Eagles) to drop down in the draft and pick up a few more picks.

That was my first thought too. It's possible they may stay put and go defense, but I think they would try to move down and stockpile picks if they find someone who wants the top QB.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You can win with those QBs but in order for me to use a premium draft choice on one I want better than solid, which is all those guys are.

You asked if I would rather have Wentz or Goff. My answer is yes.

Stop with the nonsense. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the Chargers lacked confidence in Brees when they burned a 1st rounder on Rivers the year before.

I'm not trying to convince you on either player. I couldn't care less what you think. Don't move the goal posts. This was about if Cleveland passes at 2 that much mean something bad about those QBs. Cleveland. The laughing stock of the NFL for decades. In that same Rivers draft Cleveland passed on Ben Roethlisberger. Did that mean something? But wait. This is the new Cleveland with top offensive assistant/talent evaluator Hue Jackson, a guy who helped develop Flacco and Dalton. That must mean he can pick QBs in the college draft.

So why did they offer Brees a incentive based deal rather than just let him walk or trade him?

And i'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm the one that said that it says something when a team that needs a quarterback more than anyone in the league is passing up QB. You can't convince me of anything. I've seen these guys play. Wentz was a 2nd round pick 3 months ago.....plays one quarter of a senior bowl against competition not even giving it all and he all of a sudden jumps to #2 overall lol. But this quarterback class is deep. Ok. But i'm not trying to convince you. Just thinking out loud......

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score

I'm.

INDEED, any Gump can see there is no love affair with Rivers in San Diego because not unlike Romo, Phillip probably faces very few seasons left on his plate.

That makes 3 of the first 4 NFL Draft teams' Front Office and GMs (if Browns land See KeaperPICK) needing QB desperately in 2016, according to your standards...who simply aren't willing to take one.

Then, conceed that if the top 2016 QBs in the Draft were actually consensus Top 10 QBs, they would be hurriedly selected by the three NFL franchises. Including the Browns, Chargers and Cowboys.

Or just keep pretending you are smarter than half the League and that the other half is Bubba.

Last edited:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So why did they offer Brees a incentive based deal rather than just let him walk or trade him?

Because they apparently were willing to keep him but wanted to protect themselves from making a full commitment. Brees scoffed. It was another show of a lack of faith in him.

Have fun believing the Chargers wanted to retain Brees at all costs and just lost him to the Saints. Using a 1st rounder the year before on a QB. Only offering a deal that's full of incentives. All the signs are there that he was their guy.

And i'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm the one that said that it says something when a team that needs a quarterback more than anyone in the league is passing up QB. You can't convince me of anything. I've seen these guys play. Wentz was a 2nd round pick 3 months ago.....plays one quarter of a senior bowl against competition not even giving it all and he all of a sudden jumps to #2 overall lol. But this quarterback class is deep. Ok. But i'm not trying to convince you. Just thinking out loud......

Yeah, I know what you said and it actually doesn't mean anything. The Browns passed on Roethlisberger. They passed on Rodgers. Heck, they even passed on one of your favorite franchise QBs in Andy Dalton. What did it mean?

Again, I'm not interested in your opinion. I didn't come into this challenging your opinion. I'm talking only about this laughable notion that if the lowly Cleveland Browns decide to pass that must mean something.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There is a shortage of NFL starting quality QBs. When (i) someone like Osweiller, who in most eras would be a benchwarming journeyman, is the best QB available and us commanding top dollar and (ii) Cousins is classified as a Franchise Player; then the draft, no matter how thin, starts to look very attractive.

The truth is, the draft is the only option for a team who badly needs a QB. That includes us.

A 50:50 or less chance with Goff or Wentz is better odds than a mediocre Osweiller.

Ostweiler earning a huge free agent contract off of only a 7 game sample size shows how starved and desperate some teams are for a starting QB. If a QB shows they can win some games at the NFL level teams will take a chance with them if they're in dire need of a QB. I wouldn't go so far as to say Osweiler would be a bench warming journeyman in most era's don't forget he was a second round pick. He did go 5-2 as a starter helping the Broncos to some very important wins. He played very good in a couple of those wins and had some high completion percentages. Had he played like our backup QBs Denver would have been sitting home for the playoffs instead of hoisting the Lombardi trophy.

I also wouldn't go so as far as to say a 50/50 or less chance with Goff or Wentz is better than Osweiler who looked much better than mediocre in at least 3 of his starts and did show some real potential. It would be a mistake to downplay his performances because many on this board claimed Russell Wilson was a mediocre QB a few years ago who would never be productive and they're eating crow now. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Osweiler is going to be anything special I'm certainly not sold on him but it would be a mistake to jump to conclusions just yet. A 50/50 or less chance with a QB developing into a solid NFL starter is not very good odds and those are the odds with QBs drafted in the top 10.

Qsweiler is still a young developing QB who could turn into an excellent QB we'll just have to see. He's more proven than either Wentz or Goff who have yet to take an NFL snap. Osweiler had a couple of excellent games vs Chicago and Cinn and completed over 60% of his passes in 5 of his 7 starts tossing 10 TD's compared to 6 INT's. The jury is out on him especially with him going to Houston. We'll just have to see how it works out for him surrounded by a different team and whether the Texans design an offense that fits his skill set. It could work out great for them or it could end up a disaster and a big waste of money only time will tell.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Exactly. I remember the experts saying something about Bridgewater having small kneecaps lol.

Where do you go if you are the Cowboys?

I'm sure some downgraded Bridgewater for having small kneecaps hopefully they didn't check for anything else that might be small. lol That's how ridiculous the grading system has gotten. As for where the Cowboys go I think they trade down that's what I would do. Bosa tested positive for pot prior to the 2015 college season and was suspended so that probably will scare the Cowboys off fearing they could end up with another pot head like Gregory.

Jack is coming off a significant injury and the Cowboys have had no luck drafting injured LBs. No one in the top 5 excites me so I would trade down and pick up at least an extra #2. I would then use my #1 on a player who will help us in 2016 and take a QB in the 2nd round or package one of my #2's and move back into the first round and take a QB.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Oh come on, they have a choice between Kaep or Wentz, you're telling me they take Kaep and we can pick Wentz. Not gonna happen Capt'n. The Browns have a unobstructed path to pick Wentz and they aren't going to pass on that and pick Kaep instead. Dumb proposition from the get go.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
So what if the trade involves Browns and 49ers swapping firsts? Wouldn't the 49ers take a qb at 2 then? It's a possibility ?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm sure some downgraded Bridgewater for having small kneecaps hopefully they didn't check for anything else that might be small. lol That's how ridiculous the grading system has gotten. As for where the Cowboys go I think they trade down that's what I would do. Bosa tested positive for pot prior to the 2015 college season and was suspended so that probably will scare the Cowboys off fearing they could end up with another pot head like Gregory.

Jack is coming off a significant injury and the Cowboys have had no luck drafting injured LBs. No one in the top 5 excites me so I would trade down and pick up at least an extra #2. I would then use my #1 on a player who will help us in 2016 and take a QB in the 2nd round or package one of my #2's and move back into the first round and take a QB.

If you could get a healthy Jack do you feel confident in him at #4?

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
No.

Just no.

Look at the Browns' track record. What they do or don't do isn't indicative of anything. Because they'll probably be wrong.
It's amazing how much fans of Dallas portray themselves as the worst franchise or the most suffering fans when it isn't really close. Dallas has mostly been middle of the pack the last twenty years.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
So what if the trade involves Browns and 49ers swapping firsts? Wouldn't the 49ers take a qb at 2 then? It's a possibility ?

Yes but then you would think SF would take Goff at #2. If the trade goes through I highly doubt they'd swap first rounders. Last I read it'll probably be a 3rd rounder for Kap.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Alternative is Kaep gives them time to develop a QB instead of throwing him to the wolves.

Definitely would depend on the cost. Say the Browns trade a fourth-rounder for Kaepernick. Then they might still draft Wentz with an eye toward Kaep being the veteran transition ... much like fans here are wanting us to do.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
If this trade occurs, I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland starts dangling their first round pick out to the highest bidder (ex. Eagles) to drop down in the draft and pick up a few more picks.

I see the Eagles a darkhorse to get Wentz.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's amazing how much fans of Dallas portray themselves as the worst franchise or the most suffering fans when it isn't really close. Dallas has mostly been middle of the pack the last twenty years.

We're probably pretty close to top-ten in terms of winning over the past ten seasons.

In a lot of ways, our fans have become unmoored from reality and they just don't know it.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
Just passing this along fellows, about halfway down the page:

http://fantasy.usatoday.com/news/sport_tag/nfl?source=KFFL

Colin Kaepernick hesitant to join Browns

"Additionally, if the Denver Broncos offered Kaepernick the same contract the Browns have offered him, he would likely sign without hesitation. The 49ers and Broncos are still not on the same terms as far as a trade offer, however. Denver is believed to have offered their third-round pick (94th overall), but San Francisco is probably trying to obtain Denver’s second-round pick (63rd overall)."

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If you could get a healthy Jack do you feel confident in him at #4?

The draft is such a crapshoot I don't feel "confident" with any player and if we were on the clock this very moment I would still be looking to trade down but if I couldn't I would go with a healthy Jack. We've had bad luck drafting LBs high with Bobby Carpenter going bust and Bruce Carter a second rounder not panning out. Lee's been a great player but injuries and missed games every year has marred his career. The draft is so unpredictable in 2012 we saw 5 of the first 10 picks go bust including Claiborne. The Cowboys could have drafted Luke Kuechly at #9, Dontari Poe at #11, Fletcher Cox at #12, Micheal Brockers at #14 or Bruce Irvin at #15. Any of those players would have made an impact on our defense.

If healthy Jack would certainly be a safer pick than a QB or Bosa who has a history with pot. I would prefer someone along the DL or at corner I think that would help the team more than a LB. Offensively we have plenty to work with having arguably the best OL in football. When healthy Romo is still one of the better QBs in the league and with Dez and Witten we're solid on offense but the defense is loaded with holes and desperately needs an impact player.