CFZ Kellen Moore and other fired Offensive coaches are blamed for failures last season, and the SF games

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is what I am seeing, is that Kellen and the fired coaches who went 12-5 2 seasons in a row,
are the scape goats for the 2 SF losses, and in general for not doing better during the season.
No one else is at fault, just those that were let go.

The odd thing is that Mike who defended the last play in SF wildcard game, said it was the right call, and that
they had practiced it all week.
The SF game this last time the last play was even worse, and I cant believe mike had nothing to do with that play
and its design, as he was supposed to help kellen in 22.

Teams lose games, and I didnt care for kellen's play calling or designs that much, but they were a top ranked offense
and wound up 12-5 2 years in a row.

Now mike has simplified the routes and plays, and they have had 1 practice session in ota's.
I dont think that could possibly be enough to having the guys run perfect routes the way they are supposed to be run
and dak get the ball to them perfectly.
Dak has said no more tipped balls lol, well that is something you just cant predict, or avoid, you can lessen the chance though.
Mike said they would run more once early on but nothing more on that.

But it appears that the team ( Jones boys,Mike, and now dak) blamed it all on kellen and the coaches that were fired,and now everything is "fixed"
Mike has complete control of offense now, which is the way it should be, so just have to wait and see what the results are.
And we have to wait until playoffs to truly know if the team is " fixed" or not.
Nope, your making up this whole angle.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Dude, that is an out of control rant that was unnecessary, they're OR WE'RE are not blaming all of it on Kellen Moore and the older coaches, it no longer was a good fit.... I'm pretty sure that Prescott also mentioned the receivers basically saying the scheme didn't fit the receivers and they're trying to do different, not simplified per se, different.... you do realize that different coordinators have different schemes.

But here's an option for you just become a fan of the San Diego Chargers , go be a fan of Kellen Moore, Im sure he will appreciate it.

Lastly, you do realize sometimes you have to make changes, they've been using that same offense or at least a different version of it that the old coach who nobody wanted to here anymore and Jason Garrett, it's the same playbook, it had some changes and yes Kellen Moore did some good things with the passing game and yes a couple of times we were #1 in the league in yards or scoring or something here and there but really whenever we hear the talk about knowing things are coming from defenders and other head coaches,

I mean at that point don't you think it's time for a change... I mean I wouldn't call that blame, I would call that recognizing there's an issue and that there's no longer a fit for that scheme and you want to try something else..

Why is that a problem???? it was a mutual decision and it probably benefits both sides the way it went down and now we hope that the changes are positive for the Dallas Cowboys... I can care less what Kellen Moore does...

Lots of teams change coordinators without their head coaches, when I see that maybe a change could be beneficial, they make it who cares what's being said and who's being blamed literally why why does it matter to you so much I'm curious why does it bother you?

We all know some of the issues word because of the receivers most of them just didn't get it the old scheme the old passing game the read and react stuff was not working for them and it hurt the younger players last year sure when we had CD lamb Michael Gallup healthy with Cedric Wilson and amari Cooper and Jason Witten etcetera etcetera they could run that offense but again we made a lot of changes last year before the season lots of players on offense we're changed and it seemed to not work with with Kellen Moore was trying to do.

So literally as a giant group and the media and the fan base have blamed everyone Prescott, the receivers, OL, Kellen Moore oh and schultz in the SF game , glalup in the SF game, whoever was coming up with game plans for the run game, and they blamed it on injuries, and they blamed it on the GM for not realizing that what he brought in the wide receivers department wasn't enough,

so lot of people and things were blamed coaches, players ,the GM ,everyone... I don't know where you been but that I've seen or heard it it all..

I'm gonna say it one last time

why does it bother you so much if people want to use Kellen Moore as a scapegoat even though I know that's not 100% true because we're on this thing every day...

I also listen to all the sports shows., I listen to the radio sports shows ,and I read all the tweets and social media they're blaming just about everybody they can blame, as usual

but the one consensus thing we can admit and be on the same page about there was an issue and now they've made an effort to try to remedy this issue and now you get your own little rant because somehow it upsets you or offends you that Kellen Moore and the other staff was used as a scapegoat.

I don't see why that's an issue even if it were true which I suggest it's not true.
Changes were necessary and they were made regardless of what cost us a playoff run...
I am not upset at all, I think the change might be a good change.
I just dont think it will solve all the problems that they had last season.

When I read what dak said recently, and what mike has said previously ,it just
seems to me they think or want us to think that getting rid of Kellen and those coaches solved
all the problems and they will be great now.
No more tipped balls, less than 10 ints, going to run more, will run routes better, know all the details etc.
We will see this season if it is all fixed, and I hope mike will come up with some better end of game plays if they need them.

And I dont see any blame being put on anyone else, just the insinuated blame on kellen and the other coaches.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I'm confused how he shouldn't take alot of the blame when we are quick to blame 1 or 2 players or 1 or 2 plays!?
He should take part of the blame, but so should others. It wasnt all kellen.
I dont think kellen made game plans all by himself lol, Mike had to be in on that as well.
Dak has to take part of the blame, but he hasnt. Neither has mike , and now they act as if
it is all fixed because kellen is gone.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
We'll find out how much of a coach Moore is this year. A lot of people are going to be watching the Chargers offense.
yes it will be interesting to watch.
The chargers lack a good defense, so unless they get better there they cant be a serious
contender.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Let’s actually clarify one thing.

Moore wasn’t fired, he was leaving anyways. It was already being reported that he had the Chargers job (Lombardi was basically fired on the plane), but they were waiting for the Panthers interview for HC. He was actually called back for a second INT when going to the airport, but they settled on Reich who has a history with the Panthers.

Jerry already paid a lot of money to retain Moore and if they fired him, he would have been guaranteed a check and would have been hired by another team anyways.

Moore and Staley used to keep in touch often. Cowboys and Chargers did joint practices. Moore did a commercial with Herbert and were acquaintances, if not friends, apparently.

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2...kellen-moore-interview-offensive-coordinator/
well maybe I was wrong to say he was fired, it was all hush hush and behind closed doors.
I thought the jones boys told him mike was going to take over the offense, and he should
pursue another job, and he did.
The other thing is lateral transfers are not allowed, so how did kellen go from OC here To OC
there? He was still under contract.
I think he would have to be let go first for that to happen.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I am not upset at all, I think the change might be a good change.
I just dont think it will solve all the problems that they had last season.

When I read what dak said recently, and what mike has said previously ,it just
seems to me they think or want us to think that getting rid of Kellen and those coaches solved
all the problems and they will be great now.
No more tipped balls, less than 10 ints, going to run more, will run routes better, know all the details etc.
We will see this season if it is all fixed, and I hope mike will come up with some better end of game plays if they need them.

And I dont see any blame being put on anyone else, just the insinuated blame on kellen and the other coaches.
You don’t ?...what do you mean ?..you don’t see it we seen it since February blaming Noah Brown Hendershot ,these receivers were hit right in the hand ,offensive line didn’t block ell in San Francisco ,they didn’t open holes.. blaming the office of line and the fact that we didn’t have a run game is a big part of why the office failed in San Francisco but the fact is only 16 run calls were made and that’s on Kellen Moore the non-creative type of runs and not using Malik Davis in the second half that’s on Kellen Moore and not being able to adjust to what San Francisco is due in two years in a row also on Kellen Moore is the kind of thing that we saw where he looks like he use the exact game plan for game one against Tampa Bay that he used last season game one against Tampa Bay and he did this knowing that our office of line was revamped had a Wookie on it it literally had Terrence Steele starting for the first time it right tackle McGovern start in for the first time at left tackle and we lost Jarwin ,Connor Williams ,Collins ,Cedrick Wilson ,Turner and of course Amari Cooper. That’s lotta big changes happen they try to come out and just throw the ball whenever Elliot was like running great for his first game of the season, what does he do the same thing he did against San Francisco to end the season he did against Tampa Bay to begin the season ...

We’ve been talking about it since February,

we’re also talking about both the miscommunication between the receivers&Prescott ,whoever’s fault that might be ‘I’m blaming wrs,ol, tes, and Dak in the San Francisco game

they were partly responsible for the problems we had there are some people on here like the dude who said that 50 out of 52 player showed up and played well

I mean blaming Prescott and Trevon Diggs as the only two players didn’t play well in that game is blind ..I’m not blaming Kellen Moore alone but he’s offense has been around for too long even though he tweeked he made changes to it ,somewhere good ...

so we still don’t know but again this place along with all social media outlets along with all the ESPN other sports outlets have mentioned just about everybody on the team at some level was responsible for a lot of the issues with interceptions and routes and lack of a run game sometimes.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This is what I am seeing, is that Kellen and the fired coaches who went 12-5 2 seasons in a row,
are the scape goats for the 2 SF losses, and in general for not doing better during the season.

The odd thing is that Mike who defended the last play in SF wildcard game, said it was the right call, and that
The SF game this last time the last play was even worse, and I cant believe mike had nothing to do with that play

Teams lose games, and I didnt care for kellen's play calling or designs that much, but they were a top ranked offense

Now mike has simplified the routes and plays, and they have had 1 practice session in ota's.
I dont think that could possibly be enough to having the guys run perfect routes the way they are supposed to be run
Dak has said no more tipped balls lol, well that is something you just cant predict, or avoid, you can lessen the chance though.

But it appears that the team ( Jones boys,Mike, and now dak) blamed it all on kellen and the coaches that were fired,and now everything is "fixed"
Mike has complete control of offense now, which is the way it should be, so just have to wait and see what the results are.
And we have to wait until playoffs to truly know if the team is " fixed" or not.
offensive changes from one scheme to another are always a transition that takes couple of seasons. I don't expect to see a whole lot of difference, except introducing a few new formations, but the key is not the routes, but combination of the routes called. Moore lacked in that respect as sometimes you would just sit there and scratch your head trying to figure out what was he thinking. its as if it was a throw away play call. in the NFL there is no throw away. every play call has a purpose (of course the purpose is to make positive gains, etc., that's not my point), but even if a play doesn't work you are trying to figure out how a defense is playing you against certain formations and certain play calls, so you can use it against them later in the game. Walsh was famous for that, as he scripted his first 15 play calls. McVay does the same thing. he sets up defenses with certain formations and crosses them up later in the game.

I think Mike as he said it himself asked Dak to be more aggressive and Dak took more chances than he normally did in previous years and led to a lot of the interceptions.

I said it two years ago, that SF was a bad match up for cowboys. and we had a tough time. I wasn't surprised we lost, as they were able to pressure us with just front 4, dropping 7 into coverage and any QB would have a tough time against that.

Last year, we were better matched up until Pollard got hurt and zeke couldn't get to the outside and they just funneled their defense inside and forced us to a lot of 2nd and 3rd and longs (zeke averaged 1.6 YPC). they also quickly realized Gallup is not a threat and they just doubled up on Lamb, with over the top coverage and despite his yards, he had 10 catches and was targetted 13 times (out of 37 throws).

by the end of the game they were just dropping 10 yards deep and just giving all the underneath stuff. that last play didn't bother me as much, as we are on our own 20. desperation time and need of a miracle which happens once a decade.

if we meet again, I think we need to be more physical and better up front, to force their defense to dedicate more defenders to open things up in the back end. same goes for defense. we really need to be physical with them on the line to have some success.

Chuck 54

Reaction score

It was a mutual agreement. Otherwise he would have been fired or demoted.
Right or wrong, Mike McCarthy had seen enough and was extremely frustrated with the lack of attention to coaching details and the number of 3rd and long passes with no regard to the score and game situations. Mike was going to take over, and Jerry allowed Moore to exit to a parallel position.

Everyone who watched and broke down our game film found fault with the offense in big games, lack of creativity and lack of continuity across the field with routes and details. I find it humorous that many of the same fans who attacked the “outdated” offense, the “crazy” play calls at the most critical times, and of Moore whenever we lost are now defending his regular season offensive rankings as a way to take more shots at the QB. Where was all the crying and posts calling to promote Moore when Mike said he was going to take over play-calling?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I put all the interceptions that would be directly associated with the wide receivers. Strictly on Kellen Moore. He should’ve been working with them like Mike McCarthy is doing now.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It's not a blame game. It's a necessary change when the current situation wasn't working. The offense stalled.. and they certainly couldn't do it a 3rd time. Gotta try something different. This is something that should've happened when McCarthy was hired.
Yeah, I was disappointed we held on to Moore when McCarthy became coach. It's not that I think Moore is a bad coach, but I wanted to get away from anything tied to the Garrett philosophy/scheme. That doesn't mean I think that scheme is bad, either; I just think the way Garrett used it was limiting, and he passed that on to Moore, who did improve on it. Obviously, it's good enough to have the No. 1 offense, but I think it doesn't have enough flexibility (or the coordinators don't have enough flexibility) to adjust to struggles against top defenses.

I was ready to see a scheme change and see what the players could do with it. Something tells me, though, that I'm not going to get the wholesale change that I want.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I think the OP is a very reasonable view of it.

Let's face it- Dallas was not going to fire McCarthy, and Dallas was not switching from Dak.

I wonder what MM really thought about KM? We'll never know the unfiltered truth.
Considering how out dated and archaic the scheme was. He probably was waiting for him to hang himself. I don’t care what “his offense” did. He did exactly what Garrett and Linehan did prior to him. They refused to stick to what worked. How many times would you see the cowboys gashing teams on the ground. Then get pass happy? It’s almost a staple of the last 12 years. Big Mike isn’t saying they need to run the ball more he’s saying they need to be better with that aspect situationally. And KM is on record saying he didn’t like outside runs. Which is pollards strength

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
It may or may not have been totally KM....but Jerry ain't gonna fire MM just yet and Dak is Dak so the proverbial scapegoat was KM.... also he had worn out his welcome and his offense too predictable and felt like a grab bag offense sometimes. It was time to let him go, especially since now Jerry has DQ in the wings. We shall see who held back who. Then we can come back here and gripe all over again.

75boyz

Reaction score
Mike will figure this out soon enough. It's NOT the play called. It IS both the decision making and execution by the QB of the play called that is the problem.

The Dak apologists/lawyer teams here will be scratching their heads when the EXACT SAME problems occur AGAIN this year under a new play caller and change in the offense.

These same problems are not going away as long as the same QB is starting.

Regardless of play caller.

jmo

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Isn't Zeke Elliott unemployed? Did I miss something?

Here is the list of upgrades and changes:
- New CB2
- New WR2
- Zeke gone
- New OLB
- New DT
- McGovern gone
- New OC
- New kicker

I think you are being rather myopic if you think that OC is the only focus by the team or fans this offseason.

Loso86

Reaction score
He should take part of the blame, but so should others. It wasnt all kellen.
I dont think kellen made game plans all by himself lol, Mike had to be in on that as well.
Dak has to take part of the blame, but he hasnt. Neither has mike , and now they act as if
it is all fixed because kellen is gone.
I agree, I get tired of seeing people say that he shouldnt