Kellen Moore is overhyped

fivetwos

Reaction score
As we become further away from the loss, I find myself backing off Prescott slightly.

Most players, if not all of them, need to be put in the right positions to succeed.

That definitely isn't happening here.

All other franchises aren't subject to a meddling owner who besides what he may think, isn't qualified to select coaches.

We ALWAYS have coaching problems and are routinely outcoached.

They will retain Moore and tell him to run more, just like pulling play calling from Garrett in some weak attempt to save him.

We have no chance. This would be something we barely care about by now if the division was better.

Really, the bad division has enabled Jerry to think he is doing a great job, meanwhile the overall plan never works.

This wasn't just happening to lose.....our inexperienced OC has been getting beat in the film room for two months.

He was figured out and couldn't adjust.

He won't be getting HC offers because in the end, no one besides Jerry Jones and a few of you are impressed with the "number one" offense.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I’m not sold on Kellen Moore; boy wonder. When he goes against a real coach he doesn’t adapt. The running game is a direct reflection of Kellen Moore, he has no idea how to scheme runs, he’s all about the passing game and when he gets figured out he doesn’t adjust.

I know everyone likes to blame Dak but that’s way off.. Dak isn’t going to run the offense like Manning, Brady or Rodgers, he’s a qb that needs a legit coach to scheme a game plan for him. He’s a solid qb not a freaking transcendent talent. So again it falls on the coach to do his damn job and come up with a game plan to win football games. The junk Kellen Moore was throwing out their against real competition was embarrassing.

Personally Kellen Moore can kick rocks, I’m not sold on him at all. I would much rather try and keep Dan Quinn. I mean he turned the worst defense we’ve had in years around in one off-season. You can see the coaching.

What’s the fascination with Kellen Moore?
some of us have been saying this for a while. he has good scheme, some play designs are bad, but most are good. his game day management lacks greatly. he doesn't adjust well. he started to get into a routine and telegraph his plays. he may think NFL players are like college players. he was one step ahead of DCs and then fell one step behind.

did Dak play bad? yes. last half of the season was brutal. but even former NFL coaches say Moore was over his head.

Former NFL Coach Has Brutally Honest Admission On Kellen Moore (msn.com)

"“I though Mike McCarthy should’ve taken that offense by the reins and said, “Hey guys, I’ve been there — I’ve done it — I’m gonna take a bigger role in this whole offense,'” he added. “That football team lost confidence about three quarters of the way through the season.”.....exactly what we wanted to happen....and I wonder if it was the Jerry Culture, that didn't allow McCarthy to over take the offense.....you know Jerry and his infatuation with Moore.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Moore is confusing bc last year he was using motion all the time, he had one of the highest % play action, and then he just stopped.

What’s bad is teams were begging us to run on them and it was just always about Dak’s arm needing to win us a game.

This is why I made a thread about Pollard being the guy who could save the season for us.

But the Cowboys coaches surely know better than some fan on a forum. They went with Zeke and Dak’s arm. They’re now sitting at home.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only choice Kellen has is to revert to the 2016 version of the custom Dak Prescott offense
Move him around buy him time let the receivers get wide open, he won't be afraid to pull the trigger.
Kellen Moore could not run the offense he wanted to run, however he should have switched it up for the good of the team
He didn't, good riddance

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
There not stuck with. Our general manager does not even try to move bad contracts or move on from mistakes…

But he promises you he’ll sign whatever check it takes to win another Super Bowl.

Just don’t make him do something that’s out of his comfort zone or that would hurt his ego.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We'll find out soon enough.

We've seen Dak with another OC and he was just living behind Zeke and that O-line. His best seasons stat wise has happened since Kellen Moore became the OC.

When/If Kellen leaves then we'll be able to judge him better. Although, I'll stick with Dak's abilities and football IQ being a bigger factor for the bad play than Kellens schemes. It's been 6 years of watching Dak. He is what he is.
Other teams watch film. That's no secret.

Isn't adjusting a big part of this?

How do you not see that defenses seem to know when you're running or passing?

kramskoi

Reaction score
He has done it. He won at New England with his arm. He has the ability.

He has weaknesses, though. The problem with our offence began with the OL and expanded from there.

• Teams realized that they could rush just 4 an get consistent pressure.
  • Dallas couldn't run against a light box to keep team honest.
  • As a result of above, opponents could drop more into coverage which Dak could not handle or diagnose the disguises well.
  • Dallas couldn't run against a light box.
  • Dallas offence is predictable (sticks, little motion, many tells)
  • Offence has too many penalties that stall drives.
  • Dallas receivers dropped critical passes and, at times, were off on their routes.
He is not a 44 time per game passer...at least not against playoff caliber teams. If Prescott returns with Moore then I don't see how anything changes. They will beat the brakes off bad teams but when the good teams come calling they won't have an answer. They were lucky that SF has Garoppolo throwing the ball. Had it been a more competent quarterback Dallas would've gotten blown out.

Calling 12 consecutive pass plays, or going 17 - 2 (pass to run) over 19 snaps is putting the o-line under immense stress, especially against a d-line like the 49ers have. That is on KMoore, to understand that the oline has two big weaknesses at LG and Center. Run the ball, with Prescott under center (not in freakin shotgun)...use 12 personnel and if you get single coverage backside then go after it. Is it any wonder the offense had 8 penalties against SF?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
What’s bad is teams were begging us to run on them and it was just always about Dak’s arm needing to win us a game.

This is why I made a thread about Pollard being the guy who could save the season for us.

But the Cowboys coaches surely know better than some fan on a forum. They went with Zeke and Dak’s arm. They’re now sitting at home.

Yep, light boxes everywhere because Dak has a tough time when they drop extra guys in coverage especially when teams can get pressure with 4.

If we could have ran, it would have kept defenses honest, but they trotted a gimp Zeke over a dynamic threat.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don’t know but if they think Dak’s arm is ever going to win them anything then it’s all a lost cause.

The Cowboys only path to success is doing what the 49ers do.

Use a few formations and throw a bunch of different looks out of it with a heavy run game that’s explosive.

Making Dak play like Tony Romo is a good way to catch Ls.
well, lets think about it...yes we need a good running game, not necessary all the yards, but a running game that doesn't go 2 yards, -1 yard, -3 yards.....then if you are consistently in 3rd and 9, 3rd and 10 all the time its easy to defend against any QB.....including Brady and Rodgers.....even they may find success in some of those situations, but Defenses find more success knowing the play is a pass and easier to defend.

the offense worked last year and earlier this year. yes slow starts have to be addressed, but then they were able to get in high gear....and not every game was slow start.

but Moore lost his luster. Denver coach said, they figured out how to stop the cowboys and gave the league the formula.....and they were right.... Moore became predictable. the run game stopped working. the route combinations became predictable and we became easier to defend. I strongly believe that players lost confidence in the offense and all played nervously.

the offense had more issues than just Dak.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Moore does have a good scheme that get players open.

His problems are his lack of calling run plays and having the wrong qb running his system.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It didn't help that we struggled stopping the run as well.

Maybe we call it a "passing league" now, but if you can't run it yourself or stop it....well you may win some games against bad teams, but when it counts you're sunk.

Unless you have a top of the top QB, which Prescott certainly isn't.

He isnt awful....he just can't overcome all that he is asked to....and shouldn't have to but people claim he should because of his paycheck.

It's adds up to a mess created by one man. Not the first....and I promise it won't be the last.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I won’t be wrong.

Dak’s not very good. He’s just an ok player. Coaching won’t change that. He is what he is.

If you want Dak to be better you need to take the game out of his hands and become a run heavy team.

I would say an above average player, or maybe that is what you mean by "ok".
He for sure needs surrounding talent and for everything to go almost perfect. He can't win games by himself, or at least against the better teams, therefore taking himself out of the Elite category.

He needs an elite OC to take control of the game. And put him, as well the Team in position to do better. We do not have an elite OC, not even close.

Also this defense is not what it seems to be. It is the same crap defense covered up by the turnovers. As we seen, they, like Dak, can't come up big in big games.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Young offensive minded coaches aren’t the problem. You just gotta find the right guy.

3 of the better offensive coaches in football are young guys with not a ton of experience.
you just said..."ton of experience"....Moore has all of 3 years of experience at any level........ he didn't go through what these other young coaches did, be position coach, passing game coordinator, etc..... to learn various deep aspects of how an NFL offense works and be able to adjust.....some of the little details are lost on Moore....

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Other teams watch film. That's no secret.

Isn't adjusting a big part of this?

How do you not see that defenses seem to know when you're running or passing?
You'll see when we're on OC #3 in the past 6 years and wondering "Man, why's Dak playing so bad?"

You'll see the light eventually. Maybe 3 OCs scapegoated is your magic number.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I’m not sold on Kellen Moore; boy wonder. When he goes against a real coach he doesn’t adapt. The running game is a direct reflection of Kellen Moore, he has no idea how to scheme runs, he’s all about the passing game and when he gets figured out he doesn’t adjust.

I know everyone likes to blame Dak but that’s way off.. Dak isn’t going to run the offense like Manning, Brady or Rodgers, he’s a qb that needs a legit coach to scheme a game plan for him. He’s a solid qb not a freaking transcendent talent. So again it falls on the coach to do his damn job and come up with a game plan to win football games. The junk Kellen Moore was throwing out their against real competition was embarrassing.

Personally Kellen Moore can kick rocks, I’m not sold on him at all. I would much rather try and keep Dan Quinn. I mean he turned the worst defense we’ve had in years around in one off-season. You can see the coaching.

What’s the fascination with Kellen Moore?
start a poll

is Moore overrated :)

yes

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would say an above average player, or maybe that is what you mean by "ok".
He for sure needs surrounding talent and for everything to go almost perfect. He can't win games by himself, or at least against the better teams, therefore taking himself out of the Elite category.

He needs an elite OC to take control of the game. And put him, as well the Team in position to do better. We do not have an elite OC, not even close.

Also this defense is not what it seems to be. It is the same crap defense covered up by the turnovers. As we seen, they, like Dak, can't come up big in big games.

I just don’t see a path for success in Dallas without a great team around this QB but they paid this man to put the team on his back and carry them which he is clearly not capable of.

Your 1 and only path to success is a bull dozing offensive line with explosive players that carry the ball.

Id let Amari Cooper go and get out of this business of trying to win games the Tony Romo way.

NotForLong

Reaction score
They’re stuck with Dak. Dak can say or do whatever he wants.
I am not so sure. . . I think the love affair is over.

And If Dak gets hurt or a QB falls to us in the Draft and Cowboys select Him . . . then Dak may only be here another year as a starter or even on the team

This was the year that was gonna finally decide Dak's Fate with the Cowboys . . . And Dak not only laid an egg . . . He had Amari talking . . . He was so horrendous fans blamed His Psyche and a fanthom Calf Injury

Then He goes out lije that with the Ref controversy

DAK IS A DEAD MAN WALKING