Kellen More is a Football Wizard

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Okay, so if they aren’t making him the OC, why does it matter, and how do you know Moore isn’t a very smart football guy anyway? That’s always been said of him, and not just by the Cowboys. By the way, I don’t think the Cowboys are using the word “genius”.

"if they aren’t making him the OC, why does it matter"
Welllll, why do we have 7 pages on this thread already if it doesn't even matter? Perhaps because the fact that he's been named as a prospect make's it an issue???

"how do you know Moore isn’t a very smart football guy anyway?"
What I DO know is he's inexperienced in the NFL. Other than one season as a QB coach with no previous experience even as an assistant, what has he proven or done successfully in the NFL?
I don't know whether he's a "smart football guy" or not, but I do question the term "Football Wizard" and whether he's qualified to take on the job of Dallas Cowboys OC!
I think he's more of a Jerry project than a Wizard.

"I don’t think the Cowboys are using the word “genius”

In view of Garrett's last 12 years, I can understand why they're not still calling him an offensive genius. But that doesn't change the fact that the term was commonly attributed to him back when he was hired as OC and at least until it became apparent that he was not truly the genius he was made out to be.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Not sure what you’re getting at. I haven’t said anything negative about Kellen in this thread.
I think you were taking a shot at Prescott for missing some receivers, whereas, all QBs do this, including Brady. What usually stands out is scheme and concept preparation. Romo calls out the Patriots scheme, so why couldn't he win 5 Super Bowls and go to 8 or 9 of them? Because playing QB is more than intellect. It's more than arm talent, it's more than Prescott missing a few passes here or there, it takes a conglomerate of all of those things to mount the type of seasons Brady has had. I believe my comments about intellect was more geared toward the guy talking about wonderlic scores.

JMech

Reaction score
Hey, why not give it a shot. We go with Garrett again next season. Might as well use this year to see what Kellen has to offer. If it’s not working, blow everything up and hire new coaches.

You don't have throw away years in the NFL. Players get injured and you lose top end players. The NFL is all about the here and NOW!

We have thrown away enough years with Garrett. That is why we have to move on him and get an established OC with creativity.

No lets see what happens attitude. Do it now.

I cannot get over people that are so willing to throw away opportunities.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Welllll, why do we have 7 pages on this thread already if it doesn't even matter? Perhaps because the fact that he's been named as a prospect make's it an issue???

What I DO know is he's inexperienced in the NFL. Other than one season as a QB coach with no previous experience even as an assistant, what has he proven or done successfully in the NFL?
I don't know whether he's a "smart football guy" or not, but I do question the term "Football Wizard" and whether he's qualified to take on the job of Dallas Cowboys OC!

In view of Garrett's last 12 years, I can understand why they're not still calling him an offensive genius. But that doesn't change the fact that the term was commonly attributed to him back when he was hired as OC and at least until it became apparent that he was not truly the genius he was made out to be.
What does the number of pages on this thread have to do with Moore’s football mind and ability to coach? This is only a website for people to discuss things. “Football Wizard” is not what the team called him, nor did they call him “genius”. You aren’t separating what fans talk about in a website from what the team says. It makes zero difference what terms fans on a website use, or media uses. That’s not substantive, and what you appear to be upset about isn’t substantive. If he has a good football mind and can help the team who cares what fans on a website call him?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I think you were taking a shot at Prescott for missing some receivers, whereas, all QBs do this, including Brady. What usually stands out is scheme and concept preparation. Romo calls out the Patriots scheme, so why couldn't he win 5 Super Bowls and go to 8 or 9 of them? Because playing QB is more than intellect. It's more than arm talent, it's more than Prescott missing a few passes here or there, it takes a conglomerate of all of those things to mount the type of seasons Brady has had. I believe my comments about intellect was more geared toward the guy talking about wonderlic scores.

Yeah like I said several posts back everybody came up short in that game not just Dak. My only point is that I hope Kellen can help improve Dak’s anticipation since that is Kellen’s strength. It was more than a few random passes, it was 5 drive killing passes at critical junctures of the game. He got a pass from me all year because all the receivers were new, chemistry isn’t easily obtained but in the postseason everything is for keeps. The entire team came up small, some things stood out more...

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Moore inexperience in the coaching ranks is a concern, what I don't get is many here who clamor about making Romo the HC or OC as if he has coaching experience.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
You don't have throw away years in the NFL. Players get injured and you lose top end players. The NFL is all about the here and NOW!

We have thrown away enough years with Garrett. That is why we have to move on him and get an established OC with creativity.

No lets see what happens attitude. Do it now.

I cannot get over people that are so willing to throw away opportunities.

What I was saying is, that they are already throwing away that year with Garrett anyway. Might as well give Kellen a shot. That was not so hard to understand.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
What does the number of pages on this thread have to do with Moore’s football mind and ability to coach? This is only a website for people to discuss things. “Football Wizard” is not what the team called him, nor did they call him “genius”. You aren’t separating what fans talk about in a website from what the team says. It makes zero difference what terms fans on a website use, or media uses. That’s not substantive, and what you appear to be upset about isn’t substantive. If he has a good football mind and can help the team who cares what fans on a website call him?

Omer you're just arguing to argue, and you're misreading, misunderstanding, and misstating things I said.
So if you think a seriously inexperienced guy like Moore for OC is the wisest thing the Cowboys could do, good luck with that.
If you believe that Kellen Moore is literally a Football Wizard, good luck with that too.
But there are people available who are far, far more qualified than the Jerry project called Kellen Moore.
Sayonara.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Omer you're just arguing to argue, and you're misreading, misunderstanding, and misstating things I said.
So if you think a seriously inexperienced guy like Moore for OC is the wisest thing the Cowboys could do, good luck with that.
If you believe that Kellen Moore is literally a Football Wizard, good luck with that too.
But there are people available who are far, far more qualified than the Jerry project called Kellen Moore.
Sayonara.

In fairness Josh McDaniels served 1 year as QB coach before getting named OC. I agree that Moore is inexperienced in coaching ranks and that is a concern, as for his ability as a coach I don't think anyone knows.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sayonara.
Talk about misreading and misunderstanding and misstating....

Where did I say Moore as OC was the wisest choice? Feel free to go back and look. It’s not there.

Where did I say he was a “football wizard”? Go ahead and try to find that too.

What I said was it’s nonsense to get mad at the team for labels the team isn’t giving Moore, and to condemn Moore based on those labels. You are caught up in silly internet and media drama. What I care about is if Moore has something to contribute. I don’t think he’s experienced enough for OC, but he’s got a great reputation for knowing the game and I’m happy to have him in some capacity.

Last edited:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Moore inexperience in the coaching ranks is a concern, what I don't get is many here who clamor about making Romo the HC or OC as if he has coaching experience.
I might be wrong, but I can't see Romo coming back to the game now. He certainly has an excellent knowledge of the game, but I'm not sure he has the right personality for coaching.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Talk about misreading and misunderstanding and misstating....

Where did I say Moore as OC was the wisest choice? Feel free to go back and look. It’s not there.

Where did I say he was a “football wizard”? Go ahead and try to find that too.

What I said was it’s nonsense to get mad at the team for labels the team isn’t giving Moore, and to condemn Moore based on those labels. You are caught up in silly internet and media drama. What I care about is if Moore has something to contribute. I personally don’t think he’s experienced enough for OC, but he’s got a great reputation for knowing the game and I’m happy to have him in some capacity.

Goodbye omer.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I might be wrong, but I can't see Romo coming back to the game now. He certainly has an excellent knowledge of the game, but I'm not sure he has the right personality for coaching.

Based on the interview with Romo I don't see him entering the coaching ranks for a long time if ever. I think Romo better than anyone knows the long hours coaches must put in, when the players go home coaches remain at the facility. During the off season when players are vacationing coaches are working. This is why many former players have no desire to get into the coaching ranks. Romo spoke of his kids and I know he has goals of playing in PGA events and none of that happens if he gets into coaching. As for Moore he grew up in a football house hold with a father who was a HC, I think he has made it this far because of his knowledge of the game more so than his physical ability. I can't say if Moore will become a great coach or not but if given this chance all I can do as a fan is support him and hope he goes out and gets the job done.

Just know for the record, if it were my call I would look to someone with a bit more experience but not necessarily an OC who has been fired a few times but someone who has been serving under an OC for some time.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Based on the interview with Romo I don't see him entering the coaching ranks for a long time if ever. I think Romo better than anyone knows the long hours coaches must put in, when the players go home coaches remain at the facility. During the off season when players are vacationing coaches are working. This is why many former players have no desire to get into the coaching ranks. Romo spoke of his kids and I know he has goals of playing in PGA events and none of that happens if he gets into coaching. As for Moore he grew up in a football house hold with a father who was a HC, I think he has made it this far because of his knowledge of the game more so than his physical ability. I can't say if Moore will become a great coach or not but if given this chance all I can do as a fan is support him and hope he goes out and gets the job done.
Just know for the record, if it were my call I would look to someone with a bit more experience but not necessarily an OC who has been fired a few times but someone who has been serving under an OC for some time.

Same here, if Moore was to work under a good OC for a couple years I'd feel better about it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Same here, if Moore was to work under a good OC for a couple years I'd feel better about it.

I will say he ran a complex offense at Boise. I am not as interested in the trick plays they ran while he was playing QB but I do like all the motion they ran which helped create mismatches. That was how a school like Boise was able to compete vs better teams.