Kipers updated round 1 projection (1-31-06)

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
If, and I say if, we're gonna take a R.T. at #18, I would at least want a RIGHT tackle as opposed to moveing a L.T. over. Also, take one from a big time college program so the transition is not as big as has been the case lately.
If Mcneil turns out to be the pick by our scouts and Parcells, I,m good with that. But that high, no more projects - lets find an anchor for the long haul...

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
How sweet would it be if Jimmy Williams is there at 18. The only hitch is that he may want CB money while JJ may be thinking of him playing more at FS.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
SALADIN said:
How sweet would it be if Jimmy Williams is there at 18. The only hitch is that he may want CB money while JJ may be thinking of him playing more at FS.

The beauty of the draft is that their salaries are basically slotted by draft position. The amount of money Dallas pays the 18th pick will pretty much be the same no matter who they draft. CB money is the same as FS money when it comes to the draft, it's once FA hits that they skew.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
kingwhicker said:
I don't want McNeil that high- I'd rather reach for at 18 Carpenter than McNeil.

I agree OL arent exactly First round picks, there are plenty of good ones in the 2-7 rounds. and i'd rather get a proven player through FA, than an boom bust player in the draft. I say we should go with maybe a FS, LB, a high impact player for our team. OL isn't high impact. Is it a need yes, is it a postion where everybody will be chanting his name when he's on the field. No.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
Why, thats what we need!

I think 5 years down the road, you'll be cheering for Mcneil as he protects our QB (whoever that may be in 5 years) in the superbowl.

The only thing that scares me is his health. He has injury cocerns. I would rather have a healthy Jon Scott in the 18th pick. If he is there, we should keep the Longhorn home. He could play LT and move Flo to the RT postion.

shnagy

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
The only thing that scares me is his health. He has injury cocerns. I would rather have a healthy Jon Scott in the 18th pick. If he is there, we should keep the Longhorn home. He could play LT and move Flo to the RT postion.
Why do people insist on moving Flo to RT? Leave him where he is.

neosapien23

Reaction score
shnagy said:
Why do people insist on moving Flo to RT? Leave him where he is.

Because Scott is a premier college LT. You don't use the 18th pick on a RT. I think Adams on the right and Scott on the left is better than Flo on the left and McNeil on the right. Besides Adams has hearing problems in his right ear. Maybe he wouldn't have some many penalties if we move him.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
The beauty of the draft is that their salaries are basically slotted by draft position. The amount of money Dallas pays the 18th pick will pretty much be the same no matter who they draft. CB money is the same as FS money when it comes to the draft, it's once FA hits that they skew.

You're right about that Stanley, and I am putting the cart before the horse. I was thinking about down the road. If Williams plays the next 3 - 4 years at CB, the negotiations for that contract may be a little different if he spent the first part of his career at FS.

I think Huff may have the same situation crop up.

I gurantee that both of their agents are touting them as CB's :cool:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
Why, thats what we need!

I think 5 years down the road, you'll be cheering for Mcneil as he protects our QB (whoever that may be in 5 years) in the superbowl.
I'll be cheering for Jeff Backus as he protects our QB, and cheering for Carpenter as he stop teams from running all over the universe sustaining drives - giving us less opportunity to score on offense. :D Nothing at you personally.:)

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
SALADIN said:
He's not getting CB money with us, we can break him off something on his next contract.;)

AbeBeta

Reaction score
kiheikiwi said:
If, and I say if, we're gonna take a R.T. at #18, I would at least want a RIGHT tackle as opposed to moveing a L.T. over. Also, take one from a big time college program so the transition is not as big as has been the case lately.
If Mcneil turns out to be the pick by our scouts and Parcells, I,m good with that. But that high, no more projects - lets find an anchor for the long haul...

RTs just aren't worth a #18 pick. You can get guys who do just as well in round 2 or 3.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
TEK2000 said:
5 years? This team is on the verge of making a super bowl run next season or the year after.

Give me immediate impact players.. I don't want to wait 5 frickin years.
Funny thing is you have impact players on your roster right now. Wanna know why you cant see em. Because the QB cant take a 3 step drop without a DE in his face. Jones/Barber cant hit a hole cause he starts with a LBer on his ankles as soon as he gets the ball.

Harken back to the golden age of cowboys football, last year and the first 5 weeks of this season. Jones was running wild. Bledsoe was a top 5 rated passer and Glenn was the toast of the town. He was a deep threat.

Imagine that. All because of 5 guys on the oline played at least average ball. Then injury to flow and our help pattern got fudged. We were pathetic and it showed on Bledsoe and the running game, all numbers came down, including wins.

You can draw your own conclusions, but the fact remains, its there on film if you care to dig. Bledsoe played a great season despite the line and would have been stellar with a solid line all year. Like it or not, it all starts up front, A great defense wont hold every team scoreless. You better draft a kicker if your planning to go to war with this front 5 on offense, and get romo and henson ready to play. Maybe call Carter and have him stand by in the wings, cause that line cant protect no one.

Hiero

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Because Scott is a premier college LT. You don't use the 18th pick on a RT. I think Adams on the right and Scott on the left is better than Flo on the left and McNeil on the right. Besides Adams has hearing problems in his right ear. Maybe he wouldn't have some many penalties if we move him.
Scott could easily play RT for a few years and move over to LT when flozell retires or leaves or whatever. Scott will be better off at RT easier spot to play for rookies usually, and he would be a ton better than Petitti. You can draft RT's in the first rd, it's been done a lot of times in the past few years, Gallery, Barron, Brown, all RT's in the first rd. I really hope Parcells fixes the OL or we will have another crappy year.

TEK2000

Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
Funny thing is you have impact players on your roster right now. Wanna know why you cant see em. Because the QB cant take a 3 step drop without a DE in his face. Jones/Barber cant hit a hole cause he starts with a LBer on his ankles as soon as he gets the ball.

Harken back to the golden age of cowboys football, last year and the first 5 weeks of this season. Jones was running wild. Bledsoe was a top 5 rated passer and Glenn was the toast of the town. He was a deep threat.

Imagine that. All because of 5 guys on the oline played at least average ball. Then injury to flow and our help pattern got fudged. We were pathetic and it showed on Bledsoe and the running game, all numbers came down, including wins.

You can draw your own conclusions, but the fact remains, its there on film if you care to dig. Bledsoe played a great season despite the line and would have been stellar with a solid line all year. Like it or not, it all starts up front, A great defense wont hold every team scoreless. You better draft a kicker if your planning to go to war with this front 5 on offense, and get romo and henson ready to play. Maybe call Carter and have him stand by in the wings, cause that line cant protect no one.

Who exactly are you directing that at?

Of course I know the Offensive line is a problem.. you'll never find where I said anything to the contrary.
A FS, OLB, and offensive linemen (maybe a speedy WR as well.. in case Glenn gets injured) and we're a top notch team is my ENTIRE POINT.

Reed

Reaction score
I cant see santiono holmes falling to #19, he is the next terry glenn, cowboys seriously might consider drafting him due to glenns age and the fact that he has high probabilities for getting injured. Ill put my money on us drafting holmes if he is still avaiblabe, i think this will be the first time in years we take an offensive player with our first round pick.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
Hiero said:
Scott could easily play RT for a few years and move over to LT when flozell retires or leaves or whatever. Scott will be better off at RT easier spot to play for rookies usually, and he would be a ton better than Petitti. You can draft RT's in the first rd, it's been done a lot of times in the past few years, Gallery, Barron, Brown, all RT's in the first rd. I really hope Parcells fixes the OL or we will have another crappy year.

I think the biggest thing the Cowboys need to do is fix the offense. And to do that we need to start with the offensive line and get younger at WR. So if we can find a quality starting RT in the 1st or 2nd round, I'm fine with that. And like you said, if he improves as times go on he can move to the left when Flozell moves on.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Holy cow, you've got to be kidding.

I respect Heavy but there's no way he's in touch with reality when it comes to this.

He's right in terms of questioning whether or not he can play in the NFL, but that argument can be made about every NFL prospect.

I suppose I could say that 32 NFL teams, owners, coaches, & scouts think he can play in the NFL. But I'm sure that he or someone will say...well they said the same thing about Ryan Leaf.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hiero said:
lol why, you hate having pass protection for your QB? I will love it.

dude, the class for OTs is deep as all hell, taking 1 in the 1st would be reaching, much better value taking one in the 2nd/3rd such as Daryn Colledge

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TEK2000 said:
Moss we could possibly get in the 2nd round. (I wouldn't mind that at all)
None of the FA Free Safeties would do us any better than Michael Huff, Jimmy Williams, or Ko Simpson... PLUS, we wouldn't be bothered with a heavy salary cap hit for at least a couple or 3 years if we drafted a FS rather than bringing in a FA.
A rookie tackle wouldn't be an immediate impact in my opinion.. other than QB, offensive line is probably the hardest position to make the transition from college to NFL. We'd still be dealing with Rob Petitti type deficiencies for at least a year or 2 while our rookie tackle was learning to play against the speed/skills of NFL DE's and OLB's.

I'm all for getting offensive linemen in this draft.. but not with the first round pick.

Just my opinions.

:hammer: