Kipers updated round 1 projection (1-31-06)

MDCowboy

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
I will be pissed if we take a RT with the 18th pick overall.

I would be too. I think they should definitely try to trade down to either get a tackle or OLB (Carpenter).

MrPhil

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
I'll be cheering for Jeff Backus as he protects our QB, and cheering for Carpenter as he stop teams from running all over the universe sustaining drives

I will take me some of that!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
kiheikiwi said:
If, and I say if, we're gonna take a R.T. at #18, I would at least want a RIGHT tackle as opposed to moveing a L.T. over. Also, take one from a big time college program so the transition is not as big as has been the case lately.
If Mcneil turns out to be the pick by our scouts and Parcells, I,m good with that. But that high, no more projects - lets find an anchor for the long haul...
most tackles selected in the first round are left tackles because they are the best, which is why they were playing the position in college...most rt's end up playing some OG early in their careers or drop to 2nd round. It's not that difficult for these top LTs in college to move to the right side...we gave it a lot of coverage as an excuse for crappy OT's like rogers. The great tackles can pretty smoothly transition to either side and just about anywhere at OG too for a couple of years....when they start saying a guy is struggling to make the change from 1 side to the other, it's double speak for this guy isn't very good....but some people don't want to believe it, so they bring up their high school days and shoot a lot of bull about how hard it is to step with a different foot, etc....lmao....ridiculous. Try being a CB and playing both sides like Aaron Glenn did this year.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Don't get too riled up about this mock draft.

Really, how much can you trust a mock draft that says Vince Young is from Tennesse????

:lmao2:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Schulters is 31 with 4int's and 77 tackles
Chris Hope is 25 with 3int's and 96 tackles.. I'll take Hope, it's almost like drafting a FS if you think about it with his age and all.
But tha's just my opinion.

Schulter's age is what's going to make him that much cheaper, therefore we can have him start, and wait on Keith Davis and/or draft someone such as Anthony Smith in the 5th round

joseephuss

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
most tackles selected in the first round are left tackles because they are the best, which is why they were playing the position in college...most rt's end up playing some OG early in their careers or drop to 2nd round. It's not that difficult for these top LTs in college to move to the right side...we gave it a lot of coverage as an excuse for crappy OT's like rogers. The great tackles can pretty smoothly transition to either side and just about anywhere at OG too for a couple of years....when they start saying a guy is struggling to make the change from 1 side to the other, it's double speak for this guy isn't very good....but some people don't want to believe it, so they bring up their high school days and shoot a lot of bull about how hard it is to step with a different foot, etc....lmao....ridiculous. Try being a CB and playing both sides like Aaron Glenn did this year.

Jonathon Scott has played both sides while at Texas. I don't know the history of the other tackles in this draft. I agree, if they are good, they will play where ever the coach tells them to play.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
If so can you post the article on how kiper thinks S Michael Huff might be the next Ronnie Lott. That would be greatly appreciated thanks!

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
TheHustler said:
I will be pissed if we take a RT with the 18th pick overall.

I did some research some time ago, and looked at all the tackles that had been first round picks. All but two were starting by their second year. One is the new guy Dallas signed late in the season, and the other one I couldn't find anywhere. Point is, it's a pretty solid bet that the player drafted will turn out to be a starter.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I hope Simpson is taken with the first pick unless somehow the Virginia T drops for some reason. He is going to be an impact player and would be a great pick at our position. I know I'm a Carolina homer somewhat but this kid is a better pick than Troy Williamson by far. He's been all over the ball for two years or in other words from day one. He would be a great fit at free safety and a wonderful compliment to Roy. He's a better player now than Keith Davis will ever be and I think Davis is decent.

I hope his stock doesn't rise too far. His speed of 4.45-4.5 may keep him from rising too much. That and still growing at 6-1+ and 205 as well as coming out post sophmore.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
FLcowboy said:
I did some research some time ago, and looked at all the tackles that had been first round picks. All but two were starting by their second year. One is the new guy Dallas signed late in the season, and the other one I couldn't find anywhere. Point is, it's a pretty solid bet that the player drafted will turn out to be a starter.

Compare that with the number of 2nd round starters, especially from our team, and you'll be begging the front office to take a lineman in the 1st round.:bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

TEK2000

Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
Compare that with the number of 2nd round starters, especially from our team, and you'll be begging the front office to take a lineman in the 1st round.:bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

Larry Allen and Flozell Adams weren't too bad of picks for us in the 2nd round. :)

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
TEK2000 said:
Larry Allen and Flozell Adams weren't too bad of picks for us in the 2nd round. :)

Well, from 94-05 We drafted 3 guards in the 2nd and 2 in the 3rd. Allen is the gem with Gurode a faaaaaaaaaaar 2nd. The other was Shane Hannah-BUST.
The 3rd rounders were Petermen, who the book is still out on, and Steve Sciffres- BUST

From 91-05, we drafted 3 tackles in the 2nd and 3 in the 3rd. Of the 2nd round picks, Flozell was the best pick, with S. Page a distant 2nd. J. Rogers-BUST. Of the 3rd rouunders, Big Eric Williams was the gem, with James Brown and George Hegamin both-BUSTS!!!

So, 3 out of 11 picks in the 2nd and 3rd round were good to great.
3 more turned out to be bit players with a 4th if you add in Peterman.
The rest were BUSTS!

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
SALADIN said:
I respect Heavy but there's no way he's in touch with reality when it comes to this.

He's right in terms of questioning whether or not he can play in the NFL, but that argument can be made about every NFL prospect.

I suppose I could say that 32 NFL teams, owners, coaches, & scouts think he can play in the NFL. But I'm sure that he or someone will say...well they said the same thing about Ryan Leaf.

Sorry, he just doesnt look like an NFL QB to me. He is a good player, but the NFL is a big leap from the CF juggernaut known as Vanderbilt.

TEK2000

Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
Well, from 94-05 We drafted 3 guards in the 2nd and 2 in the 3rd. Allen is the gem with Gurode a faaaaaaaaaaar 2nd. The other was Shane Hannah-BUST.
The 3rd rounders were Petermen, who the book is still out on, and Steve Sciffres- BUST

From 91-05, we drafted 3 tackles in the 2nd and 3 in the 3rd. Of the 2nd round picks, Flozell was the best pick, with S. Page a distant 2nd. J. Rogers-BUST. Of the 3rd rouunders, Big Eric Williams was the gem, with James Brown and George Hegamin both-BUSTS!!!

So, 3 out of 11 picks in the 2nd and 3rd round were good to great.
3 more turned out to be bit players with a 4th if you add in Peterman.
The rest were BUSTS!

And what does any of that have to do with us having more success if we happened to draft a OLineman in round 1 versus round 2 or 3? Not a damn thing.

TEK2000

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Sorry, he just doesnt look like an NFL QB to me. He is a good player, but the NFL is a big leap from the CF juggernaut known as Vanderbilt.

Sorry man... but look at all the big name players that have come from small/less than great schools. Jerry Rice... Darren Woodson... Demarcus Ware.. there are lots of others but can't think of em at the moment. Where they play in college doesn't always dictate their success or failure in the NFL.