Kony Ealy

cmoney23

Reaction score
And Kareem Martin had 21.5 TFL, 11.5 sacks, 3 FF and ran better than Ealy both in the 40 and in the 10 yard split (at the combine). Plus he's almost 2 inches taller, has longer arms and larger hands.

Martin or Ealy?

I'm taking Martin.

I think Ealy has potential, but not enough to take him in the 1st round.

Excellent points, if you would look a little below this text at my Sig... you'll see my most recent mock draft... Guess who I have us taking in the second round? Bingo! ;)

cmoney23

Reaction score
That was point about Ealy. Why take him in the 1st when there are plenty of guys in the draft with similar skill sets. Hell, give me Ben Gardner in the 5th over Ealy in the 1st. If Jerry is going to go out on a limb for a DE it better be someone like Barr or Attaochu (with a trade back) who have a lot higher sack potential.
Check the mock in my sig man, Gardner in the 7th!

tm1119

Reaction score
I get what you are saying, but maybe I think a little less of Gardner as a 4-3 fit than you do. Seems like a good 3-4 end and a steal later on though.

Gardner weighed in at his pro day at 262 and ran a 4.82 40 with an extremely impressive 6.78 3 cone. Oh and a 39.5 inch vertical. I dont think there's any doubt he can handle 4-3 DE. He's way more athletic than people will give him credit for.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Guard is much deeper than DE, taking Kony Ealy over Martin will get help at the weakest point......Safety is a huge concern, not sure why Ha-ha and Pryor are being discounted in Big D.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guard is much deeper than DE, taking Kony Ealy over Martin will get help at the weakest point......Safety is a huge concern, not sure why Ha-ha and Pryor are being discounted in Big D.

The problem with that thought is that Ealy simply isn't worth the selection at #16. Not only are you drafting entirely on need, you're taking a 2nd round player in the middle of the first round.

This type of drafting simply doesn't work. Been there... done that.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
The problem with that thought is that Ealy simply isn't worth the selection at #16. Not only are you drafting entirely on need, you're taking a 2nd round player in the middle of the first round.

This type of drafting simply doesn't work. Been there... done that.

The 6.5 280lb Ealy isn't falling out of the 1st round. With his prototypical size in high demand, he could be off the board before our choice @ 16.

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2014/4/24/5646224/nfl-mock-draft-2014-dallas-cowboys-kony-ealy

20140224_ads_ss1_124.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Cowboys try to find a piece in the first round that will immediately come in and provide a pass rush for a front seven in desperate need of play makers. At this point, Kony Ealy is the best man for the job.
At 6'4", 273 pounds, the Missouri Tiger standout has the athletic ability to contribute immediately to what appears to be a rather weak defensive line. Ealy spent time all over the defensive line and at outside linebacker at Missouri, proving his versatility. I believe that Rod Marinelli will be able to get the best out of Ealy, and that could end up being very scary for Cowboy opponents in the future. The 22 year old has excellent agility and all of the tools necessary to develop into a double digit sack guy.

While one can argue that defensive tackle or outside linebacker are just as great of a need for the Cowboys, the talent gap between the 2nd round guys at these positions and those currently available are not as great as the gap between Ealy and the guys available at DE in the 2nd round. There is no question that Ealy is the 2nd best DE in this draft, behind only Jadaveon Clowney. Kony Ealy is a nice fit for what should be a draft filled with defensive prospects for the Cowboys.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 6.5 280lb Ealy isn't falling out of the 1st round. With his prototypical size in high demand, he could be off the board before our choice @ 16.

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2014/4/24/5646224/nfl-mock-draft-2014-dallas-cowboys-kony-ealy

20140224_ads_ss1_124.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Cowboys try to find a piece in the first round that will immediately come in and provide a pass rush for a front seven in desperate need of play makers. At this point, Kony Ealy is the best man for the job.
At 6'4", 273 pounds, the Missouri Tiger standout has the athletic ability to contribute immediately to what appears to be a rather weak defensive line. Ealy spent time all over the defensive line and at outside linebacker at Missouri, proving his versatility. I believe that Rod Marinelli will be able to get the best out of Ealy, and that could end up being very scary for Cowboy opponents in the future. The 22 year old has excellent agility and all of the tools necessary to develop into a double digit sack guy.

While one can argue that defensive tackle or outside linebacker are just as great of a need for the Cowboys, the talent gap between the 2nd round guys at these positions and those currently available are not as great as the gap between Ealy and the guys available at DE in the 2nd round. There is no question that Ealy is the 2nd best DE in this draft, behind only Jadaveon Clowney. Kony Ealy is a nice fit for what should be a draft filled with defensive prospects for the Cowboys.

Good.

I hope some other team takes him before the Cowboys do.

cmoney23

Reaction score
Question. So, at 16...who do you want to pick? Assuming Donald's off the board.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Question. So, at 16...who do you want to pick? Assuming Donald's off the board.

Not overly thrilled with what is likely to be available at 16. If a gun is on my head and guessing who I believe will be available, it is probably Zack Martin or possibly Shazier. I would likely try to trade out of there if I were faced with Ealy or nothing.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not overly thrilled with what is likely to be available at 16. If a gun is on my head and guessing who I believe will be available, it is probably Zack Martin or possibly Shazier. I would likely try to trade out of there if I were faced with Ealy or nothing.

Those are two I'd strongly consider.

reddyuta

Reaction score
De is the top priority in the draft but I don't know if Ealy is worthy of the 16 th pick but he is my top guy if we trade down.

cmoney23

Reaction score
To me, Kony Ealy is better and would make way more of an impact early than either of those two. To me its simple, 16 or anywhere in the first you take Ealy or Jernigan.

If you Get jernigan in the first, then come back and get Kareem martin in the second! You now have a Solid starting 4 "Selvie- Jernigan- Melton- Martin"

Gaede

Reaction score
I don't know about Shazier. Stats and numbers are in his favour, but I haven't liked what I've seen. I'll defer to the scouts on him, cause I can't make up my mind

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If you Get jernigan in the first, then come back and get Kareem martin in the second! You now have a Solid starting 4 "Selvie- Jernigan- Melton- Martin"

While that might be a slight "reach" for Jernigan (and a primarily one-T), I would prefer him to Ealy and it is really not that close.