Konz and Zeitler

VACowboy

Reaction score
You all probably get tired of me posting about Chase Minnifield, but Virginia is the team I see live every week and this kid is a stud. The more I see him the more impressed I become.

Yesterday was more of the same: Blanket coverage. GREAT run support. Not a single pass completed against him. He played in the slot a good bit, which I hadn't seen him doing much before, if at all. Inside. Outside. It didn't matter. Minnifield's guy was lucky to breathe. He blocked his second kick of the year, too.

I know I sound like a homer, but where draft prospects are concerned I really do call it like I see it, and right now chase Minnifield looks like one of the most underrated players in football.

I'm expecting Dallas to be picking in the 20's, and I REALLY want to come out of round one with Konz or DeCastro, but a selection of Minnifield wouldn't upset me at all. I think he's gonna be a great one.

The Realist

Reaction score
VACowboy;4195125 said:

Having said all that Konz is my favorite player in the draft and I prefer Konz/Zeitler over any C/G combo.

We can live with our top 5 CB's (Newman, Jenks, Scantron, Ball, Walker).

We can't live with Costa, Nagy, Kosier, Arkin, Kowalski.

VACowboy

Reaction score
The Realist;4195157 said:
Having said all that Konz is my favorite player in the draft and I prefer Konz/Zeitler over any C/G combo.

BINGO.

I agree with every syllable.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
The Realist;4195157 said:

I agree with this

supercowboy8

Reaction score
VACowboy;4195144 said:
You all probably get tired of me posting about Chase Minnifield, but Virginia is the team I see live every week and this kid is a stud. The more I see him the more impressed I become.

Yesterday was more of the same: Blanket coverage. GREAT run support. Not a single pass completed against him. He played in the slot a good bit, which I hadn't seen him doing much before, if at all. Inside. Outside. It didn't matter. Minnifield's guy was lucky to breathe. He blocked his second kick of the year, too.

I know I sound like a homer, but where draft prospects are concerned I really do call it like I see it, and right now chase Minnifield looks like one of the most underrated players in football.

I'm expecting Dallas to be picking in the 20's, and I REALLY want to come out of round one with Konz or DeCastro, but a selection of Minnifield wouldn't upset me at all. I think he's gonna be a great one.

Nope I don't get tired of Minnifield, I really like him. Only thing we can hope for is for a ton of junior CBs to come out so maybe Minnifields value drops alittle.
Gilmore and Minnifield are my fav 2 right now. I think Claiborne will be to high.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
The Realist;4195114 said:
Jones is no slouch.

If we get DeCastro and Jones it could just be top tier G and a top of the 2nd tier C.

Who do they compare to. Everyone compares DeCastro to Faneca.

Could be the equivalent of Faneca at G and Gurode at C.

I could live with that.

I like Zeitler. He's good, but he is nowhere near DeCastro.

I just valuer Center more than OG I guess. I think Konz who is a top tier Center and a top of the 2nd tier OG like Zeitler is better than a top teir OG and top 2nd teir C.

Now don't get me wrong I would love to get DeCastro and then get Jones or Molk, I just prefer Konz, Brewster with Zeitler.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4195252 said:
I just valuer Center more than OG I guess. I think Konz who is a top tier Center and a top of the 2nd tier OG like Zeitler is better than a top teir OG and top 2nd teir C.

Now don't get me wrong I would love to get DeCastro and then get Jones or Molk, I just prefer Konz, Brewster with Zeitler.

It really depends on the prospect. I would take a guy like Iupati (2009) who has the size to dominate and actually has the agility and footspeed to pull and be a factor on screens and a second tier center prospect like Wisniewski (2010) over Konz/Brewster and Zeitler.

However DeCastro isn't Iupati. He's more polished and more pro-ready, but doesn't have the best at position Iupati had a few years ago. He's the best guard in the class and worthy of a first round grade, but isn't as good as either center prospect is this year.

Today's game not with standing, I don't know if we need to spend 2 high picks on o-line. I think Kosier is still a starting quality guard, especially if he's your 5th best starter. I think Bill Nagy and David Arkin competing at LG will produce better results than it did this year, w/o an offseason program and if we can get a stud at center like a Konz or Brewster, then our o-line will be one of the best in the league.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4197341 said:
It really depends on the prospect. I would take a guy like Iupati (2009) who has the size to dominate and actually has the agility and footspeed to pull and be a factor on screens and a second tier center prospect like Wisniewski (2010) over Konz/Brewster and Zeitler.

However DeCastro isn't Iupati. He's more polished and more pro-ready, but doesn't have the best at position Iupati had a few years ago. He's the best guard in the class and worthy of a first round grade, but isn't as good as either center prospect is this year.

Today's game not with standing, I don't know if we need to spend 2 high picks on o-line. I think Kosier is still a starting quality guard, especially if he's your 5th best starter. I think Bill Nagy and David Arkin competing at LG will produce better results than it did this year, w/o an offseason program and if we can get a stud at center like a Konz or Brewster, then our o-line will be one of the best in the league.

Wisniewski plays LG just FYI, really not trying to be a A**.

I agree witheverything you said except the part where don't believe we need to spend two early picks on OL. I think it is a must. We need a day one starting OG and C. Koiser might not play next year. He is playing injured right now and is getting slower and slower every year. Nagy and Arkin are a few years away form being NFL caliper good starters. One of them will replace Koiser hopefully in the future.

A day one starting Center and OG is a must for me in the first 3 rounds.

The Realist

Reaction score
I take Konz and Zeitler and play them exactly where they play at Wisky.

I move Kosier and Smith to the left side and Free to the RT spot.

Nagy and Arkin continue to groom. Try to keep KK. Costa good experienced depth.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
The Realist;4197822 said:
I take Konz and Zeitler and play them exactly where they play at Wisky.

I move Kosier and Smith to the left side and Free to the RT spot.

Nagy and Arkin continue to groom. Try to keep KK. Costa good experienced depth.

this is what I want to see happen. 100% agree.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4197764 said:
Wisniewski plays LG just FYI, really not trying to be a A**.

yeah, they're playing him at guard, but he was a center at penn state the last 2 or 3 years. most centers, unless they are 6'1 or so can play guard so it's no suprise. i guess the decided they needed a guard more than a center though

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4197849 said:
yeah, they're playing him at guard, but he was a center at penn state the last 2 or 3 years. most centers, unless they are 6'1 or so can play guard so it's no suprise. i guess the decided they needed a guard more than a center though

I always thought he was more of a OG than a C anyways. I remember seeing Alabama and Ohio St. and Iowa beat him up last year, he never looked like he could take on big NTs one on one, thats why I thought he would be a better OGin the NFL and so far he is in Oakland. Also Oakland has a pretty good Center already.

Displaced Cowboy

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4197849 said:

He only played 1 year at Center that was his Junior season and it was easily his worst season at Penn State. He's 100% guard.

The Realist

Reaction score
VACowboy;4198241 said:
Add my name to the petition.

Let me push my luck.......

Let Bennett walk and draft Coby Fleener/Michael Egnew in 3-4?

1) Konz C

2) Zeitler G

3) Fleener/Egnew TE

4) Wilson QB

supercowboy8

Reaction score
The Realist;4200244 said:
Let me push my luck.......

Let Bennett walk and draft Coby Fleener/Michael Egnew in 3-4?

1) Konz C

2) Zeitler G

3) Fleener/Egnew TE

4) Wilson QB

I would rather see a CB or ILB than a TE. We have enough weapons on offense. Any TE we add would just ride the bench behind Witten and Phillips.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4200562 said:
I would rather see a CB or ILB than a TE. We have enough weapons on offense. Any TE we add would just ride the bench behind Witten and Phillips.

I dont know about that. These TE's are killing it lately, we could get some real use out of another weapon at TE.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;4202886 said:
I dont know about that. These TE's are killing it lately, we could get some real use out of another weapon at TE.
How, are you going to bench Dez, Miles, or Witten to do it. I mean there is only one ball to be passed around. Adding another TE would add no value, Bennett has shown that. If you have two very good WRs, a good #3 WR and a great TE, you don't need anything else. You can only have 11 players on the field.

The Realist

Reaction score
supercowboy8;4203300 said:
How, are you going to bench Dez, Miles, or Witten to do it. I mean there is only one ball to be passed around. Adding another TE would add no value, Bennett has shown that. If you have two very good WRs, a good #3 WR and a great TE, you don't need anything else. You can only have 11 players on the field.

Tell that to Brady. Hernandez and Gronkowski seem to be doing ok.

I was pounding to the table for Hernandez or Graham.

Try defending Dez, Austin, Witten and Graham.

5 receiving threats on the field at all times which a FB is not.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
supercowboy8;4195252 said:

I think by the time the season ends, Costa will smooth out some of his rough edges at center. Snap issues aside, I think he's a relatively young player that's trending upward.

I think our bigger need is at OG moving forward. I've always liked Kosier but at 32, I think the curtain is closing in on his career. If I'm understanding his contract correctly, he signed a 3-year deal this offseason with his $2.1 million signing bonus as the only gauranteed money. Barring a catastrophic injury, I think next year will be his last season with us.

Montrae Holland is 31 himself and isn't signed longterm. I view Arkin as a development player that is a wildcard in terms of what kind of contribution we can expect from him in 2012. I see Bill Nagy as career backup with some versatility.

It's time to bring some talented fresh blood into the mix the way we did with Tyron Smith and stop trying to hit the lotto with undrafted/late picks/scrap heap players.