Kris Richard dilemma

Maverick84

Reaction score
can yall imagine if Jerry fires Garrett this season and promotes Linehan to interim HC lol

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Very reasonable.

I certainly don't think Richard helps the offense either, not by himself. But my expectation would be that if and when Garrett went, Linehan would go with him. They're joined at the hip in that bunker now. And, in fact, I think Linehan would be first to go if only one of them did. But I can't envision a scenario where Garrett was fired and Linehan wasn't.

I'd honestly like Garrett to take over play calling. Sort of would settle this once and forever

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd honestly like Garrett to take over play calling. Sort of would settle this once and forever

While that wouldn't be my first choice (been there, done that), I can respect someone "going down swinging". That's always been my preference rather than having something decided for you. If you're going to fail, fail because you tried and didn't succeed, not because you never had the courage to try at all. That's exactly why that 4th and 1 punt bothered me and still does. You had the ability to determine the outcome of that game and you gave it away.

I wouldn't want Garrett calling plays again, but I could respect that he was doing things and going out his way rather than doing nothing.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I don't think it's at all out of the realm of possibility to bring in an offensive minded HC who has no problems with Richards as DC. It's not as if the guy is some secret. He's been a DC before and it would only make sense he'd be one again soon.

If we decide to dip into the college ranks, it would make even more since to keep Richards (for the new HC) so he has someone with experience in the league and in our division specifically.

While I agree with you completely, and even if the new Coach were to demand that he get to keep Richards, the talking heads would say Jerry is hiring his new coaches staff. A lot of the talking heads on this board would agree.

aria

Reaction score
After 5 games, it's very difficult to get a very accurate picture of pass defense.

Why because pass defense can be measured in a lot of different ways.

Cowboys are 3rd in pass touchdowns allowed. Twelfth in yards allowed in the air.

They haven't gotten interceptions, but why is that? Is it because teams come in here thinking, let's not turn the ball over because we aren't going to be in a shoot out?

How many rookie QBs have we played? That has a big influence as well. Are you basing it on QB Rating?
You can only spin it so many ways. For example, Marinelli had the #1 defense against the rush 2 years ago, does that mean we should have promoted him to HC? To meet others criteria, he also has a SB as an assistant coach and while he was in Tampa the Buccaneers had the most sacks out lf any franchise IIRC.

There we go, he’s got the pedigree, SB rings, and experience! We’ve been staring at the next best HC for the Dallas Cowboys on our sideline and didn’t even know it!

Galian Beast

Reaction score
You can only spin it so many ways. For example, Marinelli had the #1 defense against the rush 2 years ago, does that mean we should have promoted him to HC? To meet others criteria, he also has a SB as an assistant coach and while he was in Tampa the Buccaneers had the most sacks out lf any franchise IIRC.

There we go, he’s got the pedigree, SB rings, and experience! We’ve been staring at the next best HC for the Dallas Cowboys on our sideline and didn’t even know it!

Spin? Because you don't want to look at reality?

It's a passing league. You need to be able to pass and stop the pass. That being said, I'd take Marinelli over Garrett any day.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I think we have a Kris Richard dilemma.

He almost certainly needs to be the next head coach of this team. I would have liked a more experienced head coach, but it probably needs to be him. He has a connection with these defensive players and despite a few positions, they're playing decently well.

The dilemma is that I don't think you can hire a new head coach and then tell them Kris Richard is your defensive coordinator. You just can't do it (Jerry would do it, but it isn't the right move).

So either you elevate Richard or you lose a very talented coach, and maybe the latter is the better move.

Pete Carmichael Jr., Josh McDaniels, and Jim Harbaugh are all very high on my list.

When I think of the lack of experience Richard has, I remember he has a decade of coaching experience compared to the five years experience Garrett had before becoming the head coach. He's also had tremendous success whereas Garrett had not.

My biggest worry with Richard becoming head coach is if he doesn't clean house across the coaching staff.
Elevate Kris and then let him clean house how he sees fit. (probably 90 percent of the offensive coaching staff goes and 10 percent of the defensive coaching staff). That's the only way IMO.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
This guy is going from canned in Seattle to the Cowboys secondary coach to the presumptive head coach? I don’t know, his unit has 1 int thru 1/3 of the season. I understand he’s demonstrative, excitable, he seems to be respected around the league, I’m just not sure anybody on this current staff should be elevated.

Give me an offensive guy, John Defilippo maybe?

aria

Reaction score
Spin? Because you don't want to look at reality?

It's a passing league. You need to be able to pass and stop the pass. That being said, I'd take Marinelli over Garrett any day.
By spin, I mean we can all break down any coach or player to fit our narrative. If we look at reality we are not that good against the pass and there is one position coach that has a lot to do with that. A certain position coach that some people want to see as HC because he likes to jump around on the sideline and yell.

Sure, you can blame the poor pass D on the offense just like you could say we only had the number #1 D against the rush in 2016 due to our offense controlling the clock but those are still facts and it’s still reality no matter how you spin it. So contrary to what you think, I’m staring reality right in the face.

At this point, I would take Snoopy over JG, so yeah, I’d take Marinelli as well.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I think we have a Kris Richard dilemma.

He almost certainly needs to be the next head coach of this team. I would have liked a more experienced head coach, but it probably needs to be him. He has a connection with these defensive players and despite a few positions, they're playing decently well.

The dilemma is that I don't think you can hire a new head coach and then tell them Kris Richard is your defensive coordinator. You just can't do it (Jerry would do it, but it isn't the right move).

So either you elevate Richard or you lose a very talented coach, and maybe the latter is the better move.

Pete Carmichael Jr., Josh McDaniels, and Jim Harbaugh are all very high on my list.

When I think of the lack of experience Richard has, I remember he has a decade of coaching experience compared to the five years experience Garrett had before becoming the head coach. He's also had tremendous success whereas Garrett had not.

My biggest worry with Richard becoming head coach is if he doesn't clean house across the coaching staff.

STOP WITH THESE COACHES JUST BECAUSE WE ARE FAMILIAR WITH THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!

He can go to, if the whole staff is let go.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I guess Jim Harbaugh makes sense. He did well with Kaepernick who sort of resembles Dak Prescott in that neither is/was deadly accurate but could do other things.

No one should have to be saddled with Dak, get a qb in the first round. We haven't done that since Aikman.

birdwells1

Reaction score
This is a big part of the reason why I'd actually like to else Garrett fired during the season.

To give the head job to Richard and see what he could do with it. If he brings in a guy like Darrell Bevell and they possibly make improvements to an offense that currently has no answers. And just to see if he's truly head coaching material without having to commit to him for several years.

If he has it? Great! You've got your man and a head start on 2019.

If he doesn't? Then you know and have little problem with him staying on as defensive coordinator of your new dad coach wants to keep him, or having him move on entirely.

When we fired Wade during the season and Garrett took over we had an uptick in wins. Was it from Garrett or was it from the shock of their head coach getting fired and JJ saying that all the players jobs were on the line for the next. I think that it had more with the sense of urgency that went through the locker room than anything Garrett did but he got credit for turning them around and 9 years later here we are. So no let him finish the year and take your time choosing the next coach.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
By spin, I mean we can all break down any coach or player to fit our narrative. If we look at reality we are not that good against the pass and there is one position coach that has a lot to do with that. A certain position coach that some people want to see as HC because he likes to jump around on the sideline and yell.

Sure, you can blame the poor pass D on the offense just like you could say we only had the number #1 D against the rush in 2016 due to our offense controlling the clock but those are still facts and it’s still reality no matter how you spin it. So contrary to what you think, I’m staring reality right in the face.

At this point, I would take Snoopy over JG, so yeah, I’d take Marinelli as well.

I think the secondary looks vastly improved. Are they perfect, absolutely not, but you have two safeties that wouldn't start for any other team in the league starting for us.