Kris Richard dilemma

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, I understand your point, but let's not pretend you're judging both guys by the same standard, we're both smarter than that.

You believe in Garrett, and that's fine, but you can stand by him without making it seem illogical that others would be ready for change.

Honestly, my comment wasn't about Garrett at all. I like Richard (quite a bit, actually), but he's got a cult following among Cowboys fans because of how he handles himself that's not been backed up yet by the performance of the secondary. I just think it's really interesting how that doesn't matter at all in the early phases of coach/fan puppy love and that people can't see it or won't admit it.

We both know that he'd get a year to deliver and people would turn on him. Just like they did with Dak about mid-season 2017.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Honestly, my comment wasn't about Garrett at all. I like Richard (quite a bit, actually), but he's got a cult following among Cowboys fans because of how he handles himself that's not been backed up yet by the performance of the secondary. I just think it's really interesting how that doesn't matter at all in the early phases of coach/fan puppy love and that people can't see it or won't admit it.

We both know that he'd get a year to deliver and people would turn on him. Just like they did with Dak about mid-season 2017.

I'm not sure what "deliver" means (Superbowl? Trending positive? Playoffs?) but I agree, fans will be fans.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I'm assuming you meant 11:14 this is what you said "After 5 games, it's very difficult to get a very accurate picture of pass defense.

Why because pass defense can be measured in a lot of different ways.

Cowboys are 3rd in pass touchdowns allowed. Twelfth in yards allowed in the air.

They haven't gotten interceptions, but why is that? Is it because teams come in here thinking, let's not turn the ball over because we aren't going to be in a shoot out?

How many rookie QBs have we played? That has a big influence as well. Are you basing it on QB Rating?"

Lol show me where you tried answering either? You asked four questions and made two statements about it being hard to guage a defense.
Also being 12th in pass yards allowed despite facing only the 11th most pass attempts is a negative. We on average should be 11th in pass yards allowed, but we are worse than that.

Like I said, I recongize you dont know why you said either of those things and I accept it

You ignore answers you don't like and clearly don't like answers in the form of questions.

My point was that I do think the secondary has gotten better and there are clear markers that show that. Bend but don't break can work. If your marker is how many yards we give up rather than points, you are overvaluing yards.

We're currently 15th in pass deflections, last year we were 25th.

We gave up 28 passing touchdowns, good for 26th in the league... as I said before, we've given up 6 in 5 games. That's a pace of 19.2, nearly 10 less than the year before, and that has us 3rd in the league.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Vastly improved? Is that why we’re one of the worst in the league in take aways and turnovers?

In passing offense we were beat by a team that is ranked 27th (Seattle), Carolina (25th) and Houston (7th). We barely beat Detroit (16th) and beat one of the worst teams in the league, NY (17th). Most of their O lines suck too which you would think would help us do better at defending the pass.

Edit: Not to mention, beimg that we basically threw a bunch of rookies out there last year I would assume they would be better.

See above, we are significantly better in many key metrics.

JustChip

Reaction score
Why does he undoubtedly need be the next HC, and how has he been the best coach we've had in years?

You're so obtuse :). It's easy to see. Shelley Faberes said it best in song...

"Oh, Kris get angry, Kris get mad
Give them the biggest lecture they ever had
Fans want a brave man, fans want a cave man
Kris, show us that you can coach, really coach for us"

aria

Reaction score
See above, we are significantly better in many key metrics.
And we are worse or equivalent in some key metrics and they have another year of experience. Either way, this guy hasn’t done nearly enough to justify making him HC IMO unless they fire everyone and just want to promote him for the rest of the season and then send him packing as well.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You ignore answers you don't like and clearly don't like answers in the form of questions.

My point was that I do think the secondary has gotten better and there are clear markers that show that. Bend but don't break can work. If your marker is how many yards we give up rather than points, you are overvaluing yards.

We're currently 15th in pass deflections, last year we were 25th.

We gave up 28 passing touchdowns, good for 26th in the league... as I said before, we've given up 6 in 5 games. That's a pace of 19.2, nearly 10 less than the year before, and that has us 3rd in the league.

This is more of what I was looking for.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
And we are worse or equivalent in some key metrics and they have another year of experience. Either way, this guy hasn’t done nearly enough to justify making him HC IMO unless they fire everyone and just want to promote him for the rest of the season and then send him packing as well.

He turned a draft failure into what looks like a top flight corner. He is just implementing our system and despite not playing with any significant leads has already shown results. Interceptions come in bunches and if the offense puts the defense in position, I think they'll come. I like this coach so far, and I like his results. He has no safeties to speak of, but is still putting up really good metrics.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I think we have a Kris Richard dilemma.

He almost certainly needs to be the next head coach of this team. I would have liked a more experienced head coach, but it probably needs to be him. He has a connection with these defensive players and despite a few positions, they're playing decently well.

The dilemma is that I don't think you can hire a new head coach and then tell them Kris Richard is your defensive coordinator. You just can't do it (Jerry would do it, but it isn't the right move).

So either you elevate Richard or you lose a very talented coach, and maybe the latter is the better move.

Pete Carmichael Jr., Josh McDaniels, and Jim Harbaugh are all very high on my list.

When I think of the lack of experience Richard has, I remember he has a decade of coaching experience compared to the five years experience Garrett had before becoming the head coach. He's also had tremendous success whereas Garrett had not.

My biggest worry with Richard becoming head coach is if he doesn't clean house across the coaching staff.

Yea, gotta agree 100% here

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Richard is not the DC now and he was not retained by his former team. I do think they lured him with the DC gig when Marinelli hangs it up but there are better HC candidates than an unproven. We don't really know how proven he is as a DC. Why wasn't he kept by a D minded HC for the rebuild of the secondary?

I believe all of this Richard praise is the same as all that McClay was the second coming BS. When we've been eating Spamiches, a burger can taste like a $60 ribeye.

What the hell, haven't we had enough of unprovens at HC?

JustChip

Reaction score
While that wouldn't be my first choice (been there, done that), I can respect someone "going down swinging". That's always been my preference rather than having something decided for you. If you're going to fail, fail because you tried and didn't succeed, not because you never had the courage to try at all. That's exactly why that 4th and 1 punt bothered me and still does. You had the ability to determine the outcome of that game and you gave it away.

I wouldn't want Garrett calling plays again, but I could respect that he was doing things and going out his way rather than doing nothing.

I guess it just depends on your point of view. Punting or not punting, you had the ability to determine the outcome. Punt and your ability rests with the defense; don't punt and it rests with your offense. The end result determined the narrative. Had the defense done their job, there probably would've been enough time to win the game with the offense only in slightly worse field position. Had they gone for it and failed, the defense still had to do their job, but there's a huge difference between only having to give up 20 yards, and having to give up 50+ yards.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I guess it just depends on your point of view. Punting or not punting, you had the ability to determine the outcome. Punt and your ability rests with the defense; don't punt and it rests with your offense. The end result determined the narrative. Had the defense done their job, there probably would've been enough time to win the game with the offense only in slightly worse field position. Had they gone for it and failed, the defense still had to do their job, but there's a huge difference between only having to give up 20 yards, and having to give up 50+ yards.

The team with the ball generally determines who wins a game especially in overtime. We gave the ball to the other team.

On the face of it, I agreed, but evaluating things such as success rate, how this team was built, and that this team needs to start winning and playing to win, we should have gone for it.

aria

Reaction score
He turned a draft failure into what looks like a top flight corner. He is just implementing our system and despite not playing with any significant leads has already shown results. Interceptions come in bunches and if the offense puts the defense in position, I think they'll come. I like this coach so far, and I like his results. He has no safeties to speak of, but is still putting up really good metrics.
I’m not saying he’s bad, I just don’t think you move a guy like him to HC based on what he’s done so far. As far as the improved metrics, I’ll be curious to see where they finish. I know they change week to week but outside of Houston, we still have 5 teams left on our schedule that are better in passing than Detroit.

Think about that. We got torched by Detroit and were lucky to win yet we have 5 teams left that are statistically better at passing than Detroit. None of those include our divisional rivals either. Titans are currently the worst we’ll play. That doesn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy, we’re also lucky as hell Fournette is out.

JustChip

Reaction score
sorry, he almost certainly doesn't need to be the next head coach...yeah yeah yeah, you like I'm yelling at the players and that makes him a good coach....so far the DBs results have been mixed. he had some great talent in Seattle to work with, but as a coach its what you can do with good talent, not just great.... I think logically his next step up is to be a DC.

I am not high on Jim Harbaugh. he had success in SF, and then been average since. he also wears out his welcome very quickly anywhere he goes.

I am on the fence with Josh McDaniels. for couple of reasons. he looks like a genius because he has GOAT at QB and a great head coach helping him. without them he fizzled badly. second, there has not been any coach from Bilicheck tree that has been successful in the NFL, past and current, so it seems like Bilicheck at the helm is what makes those guys good.

I didn't think about Carmichael, but he is worked with Peyton, so he brings some of that innovative offensive scheme with him.

I like perhaps a combination of Schwartz (eagles DC) as head coach, with Kris Richard as DC, both with very aggressive defensive philosophy and then Jay Gruden (probably get fired as head coach in DC) as OC. I like his passing game scheme. perhaps Lincoln Riley can be the OC, bring some fast pace, innovative offensive mindset to the team, get his feet wet and prep for his NFL HC gig.

No, no, no on Schwartz. His Detroit teams rivaled the Raiders in being undisciplined. He himself was undisciplined - going after Harbaugh after San Fran kicked his teams posterior.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess it just depends on your point of view. Punting or not punting, you had the ability to determine the outcome. Punt and your ability rests with the defense; don't punt and it rests with your offense. The end result determined the narrative. Had the defense done their job, there probably would've been enough time to win the game with the offense only in slightly worse field position.

No. Best case scenario, this team was playing for a tie. They hadn't moved the ball well all night. They weren't suddenly going to do it with a minute left, if that.

Had they gone for it and failed, the defense still had to do their job, but there's a huge difference between only having to give up 20 yards, and having to give up 50+ yards.

I'm fully confident that if they had gone for it and failed, we'd have the same loss we do now.

You handed the ball to a Texans team that ultimately put up 460 yards of offense and gone up and down the field all night, while not believing in the very thing you've invested your most, best resources in. And you failed.

birdwells1

Reaction score

My thoughts exactly.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Richard is not the DC now and he was not retained by his former team. I do think they lured him with the DC gig when Marinelli hangs it up but there are better HC candidates than an unproven. We don't really know how proven he is as a DC. Why wasn't he kept by a D minded HC for the rebuild of the secondary?

I believe all of this Richard praise is the same as all that McClay was the second coming BS. When we've been eating Spamiches, a burger can taste like a $60 ribeye.

What the hell, haven't we had enough of unprovens at HC?

Think this is a fallacy.

Richard Sherman - 5th round draft pick
Earl Thomas - 1st round draft pick
Kam Chancellor - 5th round draft pick
Brandon Browner - Undrafted
Byron Maxwell - 6th round draft pick

He created the Legion of Boom and developed that crew that lead that defense to become something great. He was a defensive coordinator for 3 years.

Ranks
1st
3rd
13th

The reality is that he got scapegoated when the defense started aging out and getting too expensive. 13th ranked defense was enough to get him fired... And they are worse this year without him.

The reality is that the running game wasn't there in seattle anymore to help the defense either.

We have the formula here for him to be just as successful as Seattle if not more so.